Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Oh yeah, I read your post. Quite a few friends of mine ride Harleys year round, just looking you couldn't tell if they were gang members or not, they aren't, but they do dress for the weather, so....are you seriously suggesting that every rider of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle should be stopped and harrassed, you can't always tell by looking who is, or is not in a gang. You can, however, tell gang members if they are wearing colors but...if you just pick on those wearing colors you are depriving them of constitutionally guaranteed freedoms. You can not legislate who people are allowed to hang out with. Do you remember the phrase "Innocent until proven guilty", I think that still stands.
Yes, but just because they ride Harleys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Im starting to see some excuses now. Cant stop and check any biker for a gun? Why not?? Just takes afew minutes so the rest of the public knows your safe honest citizens. You gunhaters want a person like me who has never done a crime with a gun to register and take a test to own mine. Yet its a known gaurenteed fact that most of ANY gangbangers have illegal guns. But lets not kick down a door; they have a constitutional right. You flipping constitutional experts seem to fall down when it comes to the 2nd. "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is a constitutional RIGHT. One last question, HOW will you get the ILLEGAL GUNS out of the hands of the CRIMINALS? RIGHT NOW! Im not talking about future sales or one idiot going stupid. Forget mine that are locked in a $1600 safe. If all you can do is control the honest citizen, you dont know squat to the gun control question. I want real answers, not more control of legal guns.

Furthermore I thougt the Progressives were the first ones to cry foul when "profiling" because that is exactly what was suggested in the post you responded to in this thread.

Don't profile people who will likely kill dozens of people, but certainly profile a Harley Rider out for a Saturday afternoon ride minding his own business operating lawlfully. Ouch

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

229 posts, read 416,364 times
Outta my cold dead hands.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One thing that you overlooked is that a high percentage of criminals steal their guns from the legal owners. We need to dry up the source of supply, be it pawn shops, gun shows, or legal owners.

You can even wonder if stopping production of guns would help. Probably not, as there will always be those that think owning a gun proves that they are A Real Man, with a big gun to prove it.

we need to dry up the federal/locaal and state goverments as well from their firearms too.

as far as thinking that people thinking they are a big man with a firearm, I will let my wife and 3 daughters know what you think of people with firearms. I am quite sure they will get a big laugh at being called "a real man".

Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 AM

229 posts, read 416,364 times
Owning guns makes me a real woman!! : ) not a real man!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Make law enforcement check homes of all known criminals. Or known gang members and there "friends".
Well, you see, there is a 4th amendment provision (I know, I know, that pesky constitution thing again..) that requires reasonable cause for issue of a search warrant. Just having a suspicion that someone is up to no good is not enough. Ignore the 4th amendment and we have the Gestapo back in business.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Cant stop and check any biker for a gun? Why not??
4th amendment.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
I like how they do it in Switzerland. Gun ownership (mostly assault rifles) is mandatory for everyone, and crime is among the lowest in Europe.
In England it was the law for centuries under several kings that every able bodied male from the age of 7 years up was required to practice archery every day or face a fine. There was even a "King's X" (exemption) for any one who accidentaly hit a passer-by during bow practice. My, how times have changed.

Last edited by Bideshi; 02-09-2011 at 05:56 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You can even wonder if stopping production of guns would help. Probably not, as there will always be those that think owning a gun proves that they are A Real Man, with a big gun to prove it.
Wow, talk about not having a grasp of the subject matter

Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
In England it was the law for centuries under several kings that every able bodied male from the age of 7 years up was required to practice archery every day or face a fine. There was even a "King's X" (exemption) for any one who accidentaly hit a passer-by during bow practice. My, how times have changed.
There were actually half sized muskets manufactured in the 18th century specifically for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates