Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,618 times

Advertisements

From the CRIMINALS. With all this "reasonable" gun control talk I was hoping we could talk about getting the guns away from felons, gangbangers, mental wackos (real ones). I dont want to hear about NEW laws for those that legally own and use theres. Make law enforcement check homes of all known criminals. Or known gang members and there "friends". My point is until you can look me in the eye and say no guns are in the hands of criminals, leave me and mine alone. Making me take a blood test, mental check or TSA feelup does nothing to stop crime. Lets start small, lets make sure every outlaw biker is checked everytime they take a ride. Do a roadside check like they do for drunk drivers. Yeah thats profiling, DUH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
One thing that you overlooked is that a high percentage of criminals steal their guns from the legal owners. We need to dry up the source of supply, be it pawn shops, gun shows, or legal owners.

You can even wonder if stopping production of guns would help. Probably not, as there will always be those that think owning a gun proves that they are A Real Man, with a big gun to prove it.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM

313 posts, read 450,471 times
I like how they do it in Switzerland. Gun ownership (mostly assault rifles) is mandatory for everyone, and crime is among the lowest in Europe.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One thing that you overlooked is that a high percentage of criminals steal their guns from the legal owners. We need to dry up the source of supply, be it pawn shops, gun shows, or legal owners.

You can even wonder if stopping production of guns would help. Probably not, as there will always be those that think owning a gun proves that they are A Real Man, with a big gun to prove it.
My co-worker used her big gun recently to prove she was a real man. It prevented her likely rape and murder at the hands of a guy with a massive criminal record.

So, once you are done disarming her we will all be safe since then guns would be illegal. And just like meth and crack, if it's illegal there is no way criminals will have guns.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,068 times
I have a friend in GA who is a parole officer. The general rule for all states is that a parolee dose not have the right to be protected by a search warrant. They and there property (owned or otherwise) is subject to at will search and seizure).
He has petitioned the parole office several times to conduct random searches, similar to work place drug tests, for his parolees. The program has been denied because of lack of personnel. Basically there is not enough parole officers to begin the program effectively.
He has also asked that police and Sheriff Deputies be included on the roster and the since the state would be responsable for the pay, which would be at an overtime rate, they won't do it.
Sometimes a good idea is shot down because of simple lack of funding.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Got any proof for your statements. There are millions and millions of gun owners in the US, and therefore milions and millions of guns. You are living in Candyland if you think all firearms could be confisgated and eliminated.

Punish the criminals with the laws on the book and increase the sentences for criminals who commit crimes with firearms and you will see a safer society in the US. Creating criminals by outlawing firearms is not only anti constitutional, it only punishes the legal citizens and not the criminals. With the amount of firearms in the US, it is impossible to collect them all. In that scenario, only criminals will have firearms and we legal firearms owners would be defenseless against them.

NUMBER OF GUNS WE HAVE (gunsandcrime)
Quote:

The final conclusion, then, as to what portion of U.S. adults own guns is that nobody knows—although it is probable that the proportion is about one half and remains fairly stable over time.
Your assertion that owning a gun makes a real man is absurd. There are about 15 million women who own guns in the US Does that make them "real men" also?

15 Million Women Own Guns For Self Defense: If You're a Woman, Should You?
15 Million Women Own Guns For Self Defense: If You're a Woman, Should You?

Women's self defense expert, Paxton Quigley, says that women need guns in her new book, Armed & Female: Taking Control. She also recommends that women carry a concealed gun in those states where it's legal.

But Paxton Quigley’s case studies show that in not planning for what is possible, a woman leaves herself open to harm. Some women never get over a rape and studies show women who don’t defend themselves suffer more than those who do. Knowing self-defense, in the street and at home, and training to shoot a gun within that context, are in fact the best security a woman can have.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I think that I did not make myself clear. I am NOT for taking away legal gun ownership, especially if a person, male or female, works or lives in a situation that is potentially dangerous. Carrying a weapon under those conditions is a good idea.

However, a gun that is kept in a home, especially around children, is usually kept out of reach, unloaded, and not easily available if needed. These are the ones that can be stolen during a house break-in. The owner is not there to use it.

I've been around a long, long time and I have seen men who think they are tough stuff because they carry a gun in their pocket or car. Protection? nope, bragging rights.

I would like to see that before a person can buy a gun LEGALLY, that they have to pass a test proving that they know how to handle the gun. This would not stop the criminals from having them. That would probably be impossible, but at least we might cut down on the accidental injuries and deaths that come from legally owned firearms. It's a horrible thing when a child is killed while playing with a gun that they happen to find in their own home.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Confiscate all guns

Ok, and what other constitutionally guaranteed rights are you in favor of revoking?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1989 View Post
yeah and im sure that's because of the guns. no, i think it's because it's just such a functional society.

So then why do you think the law was implemented to begin with? For fun? Have you got a theory?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM

313 posts, read 450,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
So then why do you think the law was implemented to begin with? For fun? Have you got a theory?
I'll answer it for you, Blue.

Several years ago there a mass murder of numerous people in a Parliament building, and no time was wasted in issuing mandatory gun regulations for everyone. I don't think all citizens are necessarily gung-ho on the idea of using theirs, but the option is there to use for their own protection if they have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates