Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Many of my ancestors were thralls and serfs mistreated by foreign overlords and selfish aristocrats. But I don't like to act like a victim either. Some people prefer to play the 'victim card' rather than take opportunities that have opened up with increasing humanistic morals in America.

I don't like to be called a 'cracker' either. A cracker is someone who owns slaves and demeans humans. I am neither. I do not think the term 'cracker' is a laughing matter.
It's all attitude. I have been looking into the family tree and discovered my earliest ancestory I can find came here is 1719 on a convict transport. But went on to found a huge family legacy. I'm pretty sure, though they didn't plan to sail to Virginia, but they took advantage of what they could to change their future anyway. Its an attitude which has been passed down for many generations in my family and has served me well too.

I feel quite sorry for those who choose to be the victum and bemoan how life took them instead of looking at it like a chance to learn something new. But I won't cater to the attitude. When I was homeless it was very evident who bought the victum card and who went looking for ways out. Hard fact of life is unless you look for it and WANT it, it is never going to help.

I used to live in a neighborhood which became completely hispanic. It became plain that the remaining hispanics who were more middle class and the non-hispanic population were NOT welcome. When someone is speaking to you in English and cuts of mid sentence to Spanish because a spanish speaking person shows up and you become invisible, the message is pretty clear.

Do I resent it? Sure I do. It was a nice neighborhood and we had it stolen away (and it was quite mixed so the "we" is everyone who lived there). But I'm over it. Will I let the stupidity and narrowness of someone else take away energy I could more productively use? No. Why should I?
Being a victum is MY choice, not one anybody makes for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM

573 posts, read 970,797 times
Is there racism directed towards whites, sure. Do I care? Not really. I wouldn't associate with someone who thought less of me for any reason, race notwithstanding.

Don't really care if someone calls me cracker, I'll just tell them I go well with beer.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Yes, there can be racism against any race. I've experienced it myself.

People who do not want to accept you because of your race and race alone exist, regardless of their race.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM

181 posts, read 305,664 times
I found that the minorities that are racist against whites are in fact "closet racists." I have yet to see a minority to come out bold and express their prejudice feelings openly.

Anyone can be racist. It seems that whites tend to be not that ashamed of it while minorities usually try to keep it to themselves. In some countries, it is against the law to be racist. But that is another discussion.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM

869 posts, read 972,037 times
[LEFT]
Quote:
Yet many people still deny the existence of black-on-white or even Hispanic-on-white racism. What's your take on this issue?

The above statement displays a very limited knowledge of fifth grade social geography since there are millions of Hispanics who are of European descent and the statement proposes that these are nonexistent.

If indeed there is any aversion to American Anglos by Hispanics it isn't because of race. It is because of a general dislike for their attitude. In fact, such a racist concept against whites is unknown in the Latino community. Why someone should posture as knowledgeable concerning the Latino community while being totally unfamiliar with its composition or general basic customs is beyond me.

White Latin American
White Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/LEFT]

Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
I found that the minorities that are racist against whites are in fact "closet racists." I have yet to see a minority to come out bold and express their prejudice feelings openly.

Anyone can be racist. It seems that whites tend to be not that ashamed of it while minorities usually try to keep it to themselves. In some countries, it is against the law to be racist. But that is another discussion.
I grew up in a school-district that was 80% black and less than 5% white. Believe me, there are Black people who are quite open verbally and physically about their disdain for people based solely on the color of their skin. Many times I have been in situations where I was ushered out of a place because a racist person was present who was likely to cause trouble if I was seen.

Ultimately, and thankfully, those people are few, but they are there.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Depends on how you define the term. Personally, I think the most useful definition is "racism is prejudice plus power" - basically, that in order for something to rise to the level of racism an individual and/or an organization has to be exerting power oppressively against someone due to his/her race. So racism against whites is possible but is comparatively rare.

Prejudice against someone based on skin color is, on the other hand, extremely common.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,362 times
Yes, it exist. Even though I'm white, I'm sure some people don't like us just because we are a majority in the USA. I don't mind though, racism happens.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Yes, it exist. Even though I'm white, I'm sure some people don't like us just because we are a majority in the USA. I don't mind though, racism happens.
The white controlled media in America is a very powerful propaganda machine. I constantly hear people call whites the majority and blacks the minority but I just don't buy it. I believe it is just another tool utilized by a racist society to keep it's foot on black people.

If black people have anything against white people I am quite sure it is about things that are much more important than population numbers. Besides I don't think that any black person feels any sort of animosity towards white people based on estimated population numbers....that is quite a stretch of the imagination!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 05-10-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You know very well that racial profiling never works "all the way around." No one has ever called for a "closer eye" on white males as a group in order to identify the potential spree shooters, serial killers or pedophiles
Sure they do & you know it. We look at whites when looking for white supremacists and its a well known fact that serial killers usually turn out to be white males, so thats who we look for.

Quote:
It is almost always a means for singling out minorities (whether it's blacks in the inner city, Arabs at the airport, or Hispanics in Arizona) on the basis of fear and prejudice.
Almost doesn't count does it? Who should we look for when looking for Islamic terrorists of middle eastern descent if not Arabs? Who should we look for when looking for illegal Latin immigrants if not Hispanics? Its not based on fear & ignorance, its based on common sense and is focused in most cases on the race, gender, or ethnic group that the suspects are members of.

Quote:
Moreover, you cannot be both for racial profiling and against affirmative action, because the way you put it, they are essentially the same thing; it's just a different group being targeted for their race for different reasons.
More BS. Useing racial profiling as a tool to catch criminals is common sense. Giving a person a job simply because of his/her race is racism.
They are essentially polar opposites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates