Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Sure whites face racism but as a whole they don't face it like minorities.

But keep in mind had rich elite whites not created the concept of "race", racism wouldn't exist in no form the way we see it today.

1000 years ago there was no such thing as "racism".
Are you being serious? "Rich elite whites" did NOT create the concept of race. Race is real, it exists, it was not invented by anyone. "Racism" as in a preference or bias towards one's own kind has existed since the races first met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I dont see how anyone can be "racist" againsts whites. They're the dam majority, they run eveything.

I nor no one who looks like me(waits for people to bring up the puppet Obama who's controlled by the WHITE people who run his campaign) can keep them out of anything or implement laws to keep them from progressing. The only real racism is institutionalized racism, saying I don't like you because your (insert race here)in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean anything. Saying I don't like you because your insert race here so I'm going to Make sure you can't buy a certain house in this neighborhood or implement laws so our race can't vote is real racism. No one but white people have that power

YouTube - Can Black People Be Racist?
This was my point, even if there is racism against whites, it goes unnoticed because they are the majority and control most of the jobs and businesses in the U.S.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM

667 posts, read 516,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
This was my point, even if there is racism against whites, it goes unnoticed because they are the majority and control most of the jobs and businesses in the U.S.
The "even if there is" type of statement usually indicates a "it doesn't matter" attitude.

Racism is racism and either you agree with it or disdane it.

Do you think racism is a concern only when you dislike the result it has on you?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
The "even if there is" type of statement usually indicates a "it doesn't matter" attitude.

Racism is racism and either you agree with it or disdane it.

Do you think racism is a concern only when you dislike the result it has on you?
NO my point is that some may not believe there is racism against whites because of their position in society. All that other stuff is you reading to much into what I wrote.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
NO my point is that some may not believe there is racism against whites because of their position in society. All that other stuff is you reading to much into what I wrote.
The bolded statement would have been more to your point.

Again, rascism is not a result, it is an attitude.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The bolded statement would have been more to your point.

Again, rascism is not a result, it is an attitude.
Huh??? Sounds like something made up.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Huh??? Sounds like something made up.
I am sorry that you don't understand.

Racism is an attitude that many times results in an action.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I am sorry that you don't understand.

Racism is an attitude that many times results in an action.
Yeah I know that but that quote you gave sounded like something you made up.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know that but that quote you gave sounded like something you made up.
I don't recall indicating that it was a quote.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Are you being serious? "Rich elite whites" did NOT create the concept of race. Race is real, it exists, it was not invented by anyone. "Racism" as in a preference or bias towards one's own kind has existed since the races first met.
To repeat in brief. The first laborors in the colonies were white indentured 'servants'. Fifty percent didn't survive the indenture since the work was so hard and punishment so abusive. Some came on their own, and those with definate trades tended to do better, but the great majority did hard labor for the aristocracy who came, and the one which developed. But a great many came as involuntarily as blacks, literally kidnapped off the street in 'press gangs'. (The novel Kidnapped is based on the memiours of a Scottish aristrocrat 'pressed' to labor who eventually escaped and went home to write of his experience). The British society was heavily class structured and the closing of the fields and the much smalller need for labor in factories (textile, the first cottage industry) had led to much 'excess' labor.

Hauling them on ships, voluntary or not, seemed the solution. The african trade had existed for years before, and the first aftricans brought were simply indentured. As africans were more expensive, there was still plenty of use for poor English, rebellious Scots and any Irish who were not expensive to buy. The documents list those indentured with a 'buyer' and a 'seller'.

Released indentured were given either no land or the poorest. They were religated to a low status. Discontent built until a spark was lit in the 1680's by a man named Francis Bacon, who started a rebellion against the Maryland planters. His supporters included black and white freedmen, and indentured and when he was killed it fell apart, but at the time they were winning.

It scared the gentry. They had no intention of elevating the poor whites and bonded to be respectable, but they could split the material for more rebellions. Terms for black labor and white labor was divided. They had before been housed together, dressed the same, fed the same and worked together. Now, white bonded labor would do different 'better' work. The races were dressed differently (an bonded 'servant' owned noting, not even the clothes they wore') and housed differently. The trend continued and the playing of the race card worked to pit them against each other sufficently nobody challenged the gentry again. Those were the white, privilidged classes who played the race card for their own gain.

An English child kidnapped off the street, an Irish family force onto a ship, or the poor trapped into signing themselves into bondage had MUCH more in common with the africans taken by slave traders, sold by their own to them as unwanted. They did understand this until means were made to possibly open a door to some. Classic move on the part of those who hold power.

'Race' was created as an issue by those who needed to save themselves. If one looks at another and immediately sees 'different' its because the Maryland planters won the game and created the mentality to *see* someone different before all else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates