Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times

Advertisements

What Every White Person Should Know - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
next time someone decides to tell you there is no racism against whites, ask em about the racist term "cracker" used against us by various blacks
You know what's 'funny' about that? I dont feel the least bit offended.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:23 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Funny that I noticed this thread because I've encountered a few Tumblr profiles where people are saying that racism doesn't exist against whites and can't exist against whites. To me, that sounds like racist logic, plain and simple. It's almost like a racist white person trying to give reasons why his views of racism are okay and legitimate. Racism is racism, no matter what. All though I do tend to think that some of the racism that is harbored among non-whites, they learned from racist white people.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
I think this thread isn't broad enough. Racism is directed toward all at one time or another. We may find their way of life weird, or don't agree with it, and then form a hate toward that race.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 7,320 times
Here's a little story.

I was in high school. A black girl called me a ******* cracker. I called her a racist. Her response? "I can't be racist! I'm black!"

Use your own judgement on whether or not white racism exists.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,528 times
In Arizona, I recall some individuals referring to the westerner types as "Saddle humper/that-F-word", it never caught on though.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Is it possible for there to be racism against whites, or is it just confined to "minorities"? While a lot of their ancestors were racist (slavery), this doesn't mean that all whites today feel the same. So why are they still attacked by many groups. And not just attacked as in a literal assault, verbal or physical, but just discriminated. In the US, there are many scholarships for college and certain perks and benefits that are completely off-limits to whites. I consider this racism. Yet many people still deny the existence of black-on-white or even Hispanic-on-white racism. What's your take on this issue?
Duhhhh. Reverse racism Hello! Of course it does among all ethnicities.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 PM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knever View Post
Here's a little story.

I was in high school. A black girl called me a ******* cracker. I called her a racist. Her response? "I can't be racist! I'm black!"

Use your own judgement on whether or not white racism exists.
"I can't be racist! I'm black!"

Does being black mean that you can't be thick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Duhhhh. Reverse racism Hello! Of course it does among all ethnicities.
There's no such thing as 'reverse racism' or 'reverse discrimination' - drop the 'reverse' word, it's inapplicable.

I lived in New Mexico some years ago and UNM was trying to hire a professor (a real professor, not a lecturer) to take a chair in some subject.

The job went to an Anglo and some of the Hispanics in the New Mexico government were outraged!

Senator: "This is New Mexico! A place where there is no shortage of hispanics! Why didn't this job go to an Hispanic?"

University spokesman: "Because there wasn't a suitably-qualified hispanic applicant."

Senator: Then you should have dropped the requirements so that a suitable hispanic could be found and given the place!"

Senior (and highly-respected) hispanic academic teaching in a prestigious ivy-league university: How dare you sir! - Are you suggesting that hispanics can't compete in our own right? Are you suggesting that we are 'not quite as bright' as Anglos?

The reason that you couldn't attract a suitably-qualified hispanic academic is that you are paying peanuts!
(He didn't say that all the hispanic monkeys prepared to work for peanuts were working in the NM government . )

We will eventually get to the point where people are hired on the grounds of ability. But it will take time.

(Discrimination on the grounds of nationality is enshrined in US law (Thanks, President Ford) ... How long do you think it will take to get that changed?)

Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
I hate to tell you this, but this whole "racism" thing happens mainly in the US. In Europe, Asia, Middle East, Australia we don't care what color you are, people are busy living their lives, enjoying them, and being social to people, and not seclude themselves in their "man caves" with their 90inch TVs and 24 packs of beer! A good example are students who come directly from Africa, they are very respectful, very educated, social, and nice. Nobody cares what color they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Is it possible for there to be racism against whites, or is it just confined to "minorities"? While a lot of their ancestors were racist (slavery), this doesn't mean that all whites today feel the same. So why are they still attacked by many groups. And not just attacked as in a literal assault, verbal or physical, but just discriminated. In the US, there are many scholarships for college and certain perks and benefits that are completely off-limits to whites. I consider this racism. Yet many people still deny the existence of black-on-white or even Hispanic-on-white racism. What's your take on this issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates