Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM

433 posts, read 459,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
As a a 20 year female survivor of AIDS I have a few things to say. It's my responsibility to inform anyone I sleep with of my HIV status. On the flip side, no one should ever assume someone else is HIV Neg. Precautions should be taken. I am married to a man who is HIV neg and the scariest moment of my life was telling him of my status. But I did it. IMO, anyone who knowingly exposes someone to HIV should be prosecuted.
HIV is harder to transmit than you would think. It's especially difficult to pass from female to male.
HIV really doesn't cross the placenta well. Most babies that become HIV + are infected via contact with blood during the birth process or by being breast fed. An HIV+ mother does not usually mean an HIV pos child. An unmedicated mom has about a 25% chance of passing on HIV. Those that do pass it on are usually people who are sicker and have a high viral load, IE they have a lot of HIV in the bloodstream. If a woman is medicated and given drugs that kill the HIV in the bloodstream and precautions are taken while giving birth that risk of mother- child transmission is around 1 %
((JennyMominRI))

Thanks for sharing a very personal viewpoint. IMO Your fella is a gem.

Dano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,999 times
Quote:
As a a 20 year female survivor of AIDS I have a few things to say. It's my responsibility to inform anyone I sleep with of my HIV status. On the flip side, no one should ever assume someone else is HIV Neg. Precautions should be taken. I am married to a man who is HIV neg and the scariest moment of my life was telling him of my status. But I did it. IMO, anyone who knowingly exposes someone to HIV should be prosecuted.
HIV is harder to transmit than you would think. It's especially difficult to pass from female to male.
HIV really doesn't cross the placenta well. Most babies that become HIV + are infected via contact with blood during the birth process or by being breast fed. An HIV+ mother does not usually mean an HIV pos child. An unmedicated mom has about a 25% chance of passing on HIV. Those that do pass it on are usually people who are sicker and have a high viral load, IE they have a lot of HIV in the bloodstream. If a woman is medicated and given drugs that kill the HIV in the bloodstream and precautions are taken while giving birth that risk of mother- child transmission is around 1 %
I was touched by your post, thank you for your honesty.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toradora View Post
I'm not sure if this is already a law in some places, but do you think HIV+ could be held liable and be sued if the person slept with a non-hiv+ partner without disclosing his health status? Assuming there was no discussion beforehand (as opposed to lying about it).

I heard arguments that they should be charged for knowingly putting the other person's health at risk. My concern is though:

1. If the other partner is so concerned with health, why didn't s/he discuss health before the act (I know, it's hardly a sexy convo) or made sure they use protection?

2. If we are to sue anyone for putting other's people's health at risk without their knowledge, should parents who have health issues (genetic or transmissable through birth) be charged too when they decide to have children?
1. Given the CDC fact that 68,000,000 adult Americans have at least one STD out of 33 circulating STD's with 15.8 million new cases each year (and rising) .... one can almost assume that their new sex partner has something . These are the cold hard epidemic facts., yet it doesnt seem to phase most. Sexual immorality is now a very real dangerous lifestyle which takes thousands of lives each year not to mention the emotional consequences . Secondly, its unreasonable to expect a new sex partner (or present sex partner) to be honest and admit that they are an STD Carrier because their main motive is to use your body for a copulation ... and if they were open and honest , it would most likely jeopardize that . Lastly, many people think they are STD free but its just that they havent noticed the symptoms yet -- yet the disease is still capable of being passed along. Finally, condoms are not the saviour, as, they dont stop some STD's plus they often come off in times of passion or they can tear. The only safe method is to stay away from Sexual Hedonism. HIV is a widespread disease, but the one which is really gaining ground is HPV which is the precursor to cervical cancer in women., and many Men have HPV especially if theyve had a good many years of sleeping around.

2. No, because most of us are pre-disposed (genitcally) to a sickness or disease from our Parents who got it from their Parents..ad infinitum. Obtaining a disease that eventually kills you is just part of human nature and the life to death ratio has always been 1:1 . However, for adults who discover they are strongly genetically disposed to a certain disease AND currently have it....they may want to rethink having children and instead consider adoption or just staying childless in ones marriage.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is already a law in some places, but do you think HIV+ could be held liable and be sued if the person slept with a non-hiv+ partner without disclosing his health status? Assuming there was no discussion beforehand (as opposed to lying about it).

I heard arguments that they should be charged for knowingly putting the other person's health at risk. My concern is though:

1. If the other partner is so concerned with health, why didn't s/he discuss health before the act (I know, it's hardly a sexy convo) or made sure they use protection?

2. If we are to sue anyone for putting other's people's health at risk without their knowledge, should parents who have health issues (genetic or transmissable through birth) be charged too when they decide to have children?
If this was law then it should include ALL sexually transmitted diseases, especially Hep B and HPV, both of which are far more virulent than HIV.

Did you know that an HIV blood test is no longer mandatory in the medical carried out prior to being granted Green Card ie Permanent residency?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:

Thank you for sharing.
Too many people are ignorant about HIV, especially the fact that it's actually not that easy to contract and treatment options are available.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:

No. If you like to put your nethers in lots of new places for entertainment and fail to dress him with the approprate safety gear before probing/being probed, YOU assume all accompanying risks.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM

422 posts, read 649,310 times
People tals about herpes, flu and HIV like its the same thing. 99% of the time the first two don't KILL YOU! Regardless of the propaganda HIV still Kills 100% of those infected sooner than they would die of natural causes. Someone asked what motivation an HIV+ person had for spreading it. They have obviously never met a young, angry person who says (and these are direct quotes) " If I'm gonna die I'm taking as many people with me as I can " or "someone gave it to me and I'm gonna return the favor to every girl I can get my hands on " "He didn't care about my life so I don't care about theirs" I have been a nurse for a long time now and you will be amazed at the mentality of some people. YES it should be a crime with REAL penalties.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
With all the concorted efforts on educating the public since the 80's, there is NO excuse for anyone to be so ignorant about HIV/Aids that he/she shouldn't feel a responsibility to inform the partner first. Absolutely none at all. You can practice safe sex forever but once you have the HIV you're stuck with it.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
With all the concorted efforts on educating the public since the 80's, there is NO excuse for anyone to be so ignorant about HIV/Aids that he/she shouldn't feel a responsibility to inform the partner first. Absolutely none at all. You can practice safe sex forever but once you have the HIV you're stuck with it.
Isnt it a little naive to expect high ethics from Someone else when that Someone is just out to satisfy a lustful desire for a time before moving on ? Two people engaging in an immoral venture doesnt seem like a good foundation for ethical thinking !

Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
1. Given the CDC fact that 68,000,000 adult Americans have at least one STD out of 33 circulating STD's with 15.8 million new cases each year (and rising) .... one can almost assume that their new sex partner has something . These are the cold hard epidemic facts., yet it doesnt seem to phase most. Sexual immorality is now a very real dangerous lifestyle which takes thousands of lives each year not to mention the emotional consequences . Secondly, its unreasonable to expect a new sex partner (or present sex partner) to be honest and admit that they are an STD Carrier because their main motive is to use your body for a copulation ... and if they were open and honest , it would most likely jeopardize that . Lastly, many people think they are STD free but its just that they havent noticed the symptoms yet -- yet the disease is still capable of being passed along. Finally, condoms are not the saviour, as, they dont stop some STD's plus they often come off in times of passion or they can tear. The only safe method is to stay away from Sexual Hedonism. HIV is a widespread disease, but the one which is really gaining ground is HPV which is the precursor to cervical cancer in women., and many Men have HPV especially if theyve had a good many years of sleeping around.

2. No, because most of us are pre-disposed (genitcally) to a sickness or disease from our Parents who got it from their Parents..ad infinitum. Obtaining a disease that eventually kills you is just part of human nature and the life to death ratio has always been 1:1 . However, for adults who discover they are strongly genetically disposed to a certain disease AND currently have it....they may want to rethink having children and instead consider adoption or just staying childless in ones marriage.
1. To imply that everyone who is infected with HIV is so due to some type of sexually hedonistic behavior is just plain wrong! You only have to have sex once to become infected. I volunteered at a HIV clinic for years and you'd be amazed at how many people do not fit that description. Simply put, you can not look at a piece of paper with someone's sexual history on it and say whether or not they have or will get HIV. This is a very dangerous stereotype, this kind of naive and juvenile thinking is what can lead an otherwise intelligent person to make the mistake of having sex without a condom because the person "looked safe" or "haven't been with many people". You have no idea how many people who were practically virgins who become infected with this.

Also, there are many different types of HPV. Some are more invasive than others. I would not want a woman reading your post to panic because they now think that they will get cervical cancer because they have HPV. This is just not true, however, it is true that most women who get cervical cancer have one of the dangerous types of HPV. But even if you do have one of the more serious types of HPV you still have a small chance of developing cervical cancer. I took this off of Cancer.org's website:

Do HPV infections cause cancer?
Infection with certain types of HPV is the major cause of cervical cancer. Almost all women will have an HPV infection at some point, but very few will develop cervical cancer. The immune system of most women will usually suppress or eliminate HPVs. Only HPV infections that are persistent (do not go away over many years) can lead to cervical cancer.

2. That's your opinion and you're definitely entitled, however, it's important to note that having a predisposition to a certian illness does not guarantee that you will get it. Also, having a strong disposition to something is not a good enough reason to not live your life to the fullest. Is it possible you may not live to see your children grow up, sure. But no one is promised tomorrow, not even the healthiest of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
People tals about herpes, flu and HIV like its the same thing. 99% of the time the first two don't KILL YOU! Regardless of the propaganda HIV still Kills 100% of those infected sooner than they would die of natural causes. Someone asked what motivation an HIV+ person had for spreading it. They have obviously never met a young, angry person who says (and these are direct quotes) " If I'm gonna die I'm taking as many people with me as I can " or "someone gave it to me and I'm gonna return the favor to every girl I can get my hands on " "He didn't care about my life so I don't care about theirs" I have been a nurse for a long time now and you will be amazed at the mentality of some people. YES it should be a crime with REAL penalties.
This is very true, there are people out there like that. This is why it is your responsibility to protect yourself. However, if you're with someone like that, chances are you don't know them very well. When you have sex with anyone other than your spouse or long term SO, you need to wear a condom. Other than rape, there are no excuses. So even in the case of someone getting it from someone as malicious as the individual you mentioned, I still can't feel sorry for them. The first question I would ask is "why didn't you use a condom"? Then wait for the excuses to start, after hearing how silly their excuses are, it finally dawns on them. I should've protected myself. I've had this conversation many, many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates