U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 AM

9,601 posts, read 4,123,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
While I am not a big fan of government assistance, I do believe that it should be fair and equal to everyone and that single people, or people who are childfree should not be discriminated against. Right now, if you are childfree and "able bodied" you can only draw food stamps for three months out of the year. The rest of the time you can die of starvation for all anyone cares.

Just because a person has proven that they are capable of reproduction does not mean they should receive special treatment, but alas, they do.

20yrsinBranson
I agree with this post.

People who have worked and contributed for most of their lives shouldn't be refused help just because they don't have children.

As it is now, our system encourages people to have children just so they can get benefits......which ends up putting an even larger burden on the tax payer.

If childless people were eligible for something more than a small amount of food stamps, perhaps it would prevent a lot of them from breeding just to survive.

Also, I do not believe people should receive tax breaks for having children........perhaps the money saved could be used to provide welfare for the childless......it could be the start for some type of solution to this problem.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 10,257,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Oh another hate thread against the poor. I'm on food stamps right now after working for decades got laid off due to the economy, I've spent 2+ years looking for work, I even took a phlebotomy course and got certified and still no job, at 60 years old I'm facing age discrimination. It's now 6am and I've already been on the computer looking for work and will do so for 8-10 hours today like every day. The $200. a month I get for food stamps keeps me from starving as a single woman with no children I'm not elegible for any other options like welfare or medicaid. I'm selling everything of value I own to stay afloat including family heirlooms for pennies on the dollar. It's obvious from the posters on this thread that NONE of you are currently unemployed and have no idea how bad the situation really is to find work right now.

After a lifetime of working, I really never thought I'd end up in this position of needing extended help. There are now millions of us in a similar situation and until the economy gets better there will continue to be more and more as they run out of unemployment benefits.

I don't want to be unemployed and apply to everything I'm able to do. I've lived modestly all my life and never had the big bucks salary, but here I am along with millions who can't find work. There are 6 people for every 1 job available right now so that means 5 people no matter how hard they look will not find a job.

I've paid taxes for 40 years and your solution is I starve
Im sorry for your current situation. You are exactly right. I consider myself lucky. I have a good job and a home but like the majority of people all it would take is a lay-off for me to be in the same situation. Savings go only so far, jobs, if you can find one, are low wage and most likely wouldnt be enough for my mortgage and utilities.

I agree something should be done to discourage the long term need of assistance. Like education job training and actually keeping jobs in our country, not setting up refugee camps.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 AM

7,043 posts, read 4,497,262 times
No reason at all why a childless person shouldn't receive some help.

A person with kids is somehow more worthy of help? This is backwards.

So a childless women should get pregnant and then she could get welfare and foodstamps? What should an older woman do? What should a single man do? (They can't get pregnant, you know.)

Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM

2,648 posts, read 3,493,494 times
Quote:
Oh another hate thread against the poor. I'm on food stamps right now after working for decades got laid off due to the economy, I've spent 2+ years looking for work, I even took a phlebotomy course and got certified and still no job, at 60 years old I'm facing age discrimination. It's now 6am and I've already been on the computer looking for work and will do so for 8-10 hours today like every day. The $200. a month I get for food stamps keeps me from starving as a single woman with no children I'm not elegible for any other options like welfare or medicaid. I'm selling everything of value I own to stay afloat including family heirlooms for pennies on the dollar. It's obvious from the posters on this thread that NONE of you are currently unemployed and have no idea how bad the situation really is to find work right now.

After a lifetime of working, I really never thought I'd end up in this position of needing extended help. There are now millions of us in a similar situation and until the economy gets better there will continue to be more and more as they run out of unemployment benefits.

I don't want to be unemployed and apply to everything I'm able to do. I've lived modestly all my life and never had the big bucks salary, but here I am along with millions who can't find work. There are 6 people for every 1 job available right now so that means 5 people no matter how hard they look will not find a job.

I can sympathize with your situation Returning West. I have a younger sister that is facing problems similar to yours but not quite as drastic YET. She has worked since she was 15 (she is now 60). Several months ago she got laid off from her job with an insurance company. So far she has had no luck finding work in her field. She has been keeping her head above water with unemployment but when that runs out her only option will be to take a job at a nearby McDonald's. The irony is if she takes the job at McDs she loses her unemployment benefits and her wages would be $40 a week less. A vicious Catch 22 situation.

GL2

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM

14,648 posts, read 16,103,249 times
Quote:

I sympathize with you 100 percent. Being in NE Georgia, I'm sure you could drive to certain areas of your city/county and find endless numbers of "welfare moms" with three or four or five children, who have been on welfare and food stamps for most of their life and have no interest or desire in finding a job or becoming a contributing member of society. And yet, someone like yourself, who genuinely needs the help cannot get it because you are not a breeder.

This mentality boggles my mind. The government is saying, unless you are a parent, your life is of no value to us. Where is the OUTRAGE? Why are people NOT MARCHING IN THE STREET because of this? I don't get it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM

5,626 posts, read 2,530,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No reason at all why a childless person shouldn't receive some help.

A person with kids is somehow more worthy of help? This is backwards.

So a childless women should get pregnant and then she could get welfare and foodstamps? What should an older woman do? What should a single man do? (They can't get pregnant, you know.)
The help is for the kids, not just the parent. 3 year olds cannot get jobs. Therefore if the parent is unemployed and not receiving help the child will starve to death through no fault of it's own.

I'm not condoning being a welfare parent. But the reality is that kids are unable to support themselves if the parent is unwilling or unable to find a source of income.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM

3,975 posts, read 2,700,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I can sympathize with your situation Returning West. I have a younger sister that is facing problems similar to yours but not quite as drastic YET. She has worked since she was 15 (she is now 60). Several months ago she got laid off from her job with an insurance company. So far she has had no luck finding work in her field. She has been keeping her head above water with unemployment but when that runs out her only option will be to take a job at a nearby McDonald's. The irony is if she takes the job at McDs she loses her unemployment benefits and her wages would be $40 a week less. A vicious Catch 22 situation.

GL2
I am currently retired, having reached the requisite age 10 years ago when I was forcibly "retired" from a supervisory position in a specialty pharmacy. I thank whatever gods there be that I'm able to live on my SS. I wouldn't want to be a job-seeker in this economy.

BUT, quite a few years ago, I was laid off a job and collecting UC. I was able to find a part-time, low-paying job and I took it. I didn't lose my UC benefits. I was able to sign for a partial check and collected my pay from a job that made me feel productive. In addition, the decreased amount of my UC check extended the number of weeks I was able to collect the lesser amount, so I was able to keep my head above water until I found a full-time, well-paying job.

Tell your sister not to despair. The Mickey D's job may be beneficial for her BEFORE her UC runs out. God bless her.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM

2,648 posts, read 3,493,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I am currently retired, having reached the requisite age 10 years ago when I was forcibly "retired" from a supervisory position in a specialty pharmacy. I thank whatever gods there be that I'm able to live on my SS. I wouldn't want to be a job-seeker in this economy.

BUT, quite a few years ago, I was laid off a job and collecting UC. I was able to find a part-time, low-paying job and I took it. I didn't lose my UC benefits. I was able to sign for a partial check and collected my pay from a job that made me feel productive. In addition, the decreased amount of my UC check extended the number of weeks I was able to collect the lesser amount, so I was able to keep my head above water until I found a full-time, well-paying job.

Tell your sister not to despair. The Mickey D's job may be beneficial for her BEFORE her UC runs out. God bless her.
Thanks for the info Gypsy. I will pass it on to her to see if the same rules apply here in Nebraska.

GL2

Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,437,812 times
The woman would not starve to death. If facing death...well more appropriately no goverment assistance, she would go out and find a job. Fast food, janitorial, etc, some sort of job. The fact is though, she became used to being lazy and collecting unemployment and now does not want to go back to work, when she can just live off the government, well, really our tax dollars.

And how on earth does she need that much? $300 for one person seems way too much in food stamp money.It should be half of that.

Speaking of these "poor" you talk about....I met an early 40's, single, self employed tv camera man. He goes out to eat daily, spends freely, yet he does not show his income properly and qualifies for welfare. So he goes to nice restaurants every day yet my tax dollars go to him not wanting to be responsible and getting health care insurance?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM

17,918 posts, read 6,224,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You mean should our tax dollars provide 75$ a week for food to a single, childless person who is homeless and was laid off from her job during difficult economic times when the unemployment is around 9+%. I vote yes considering I blame our government for most of the job losses and high unemployment. The gov. does little to support small business, but they support NAFTA, and do nothing to stop the out of control illegal immigration. We have no qualms handing out foodstamps, medical benefits and free housing to single parents who had no means to support the children they produced or illegal immigrants that have no business here much less to receive benefits. Not to mention the bail out of large corporations and banks.

So giving 75$ a week for food to a citizen who was responsible enough to not have children out of wedlock, was gainfully employed and paid into the system for ??????amount of time and has figured a way to trade her services, legally, for the remainder of her support until the economy becomes more stable seem a small burden.
She is not homeless.

Since she has no responsibility to anyone but herself, she should be able to get a job, since child care is not an issue.

I have no pity for the clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates