U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,476,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
The woman would not starve to death. If facing death...well more appropriately no goverment assistance, she would go out and find a job. Fast food, janitorial, etc, some sort of job. The fact is though, she became used to being lazy and collecting unemployment and now does not want to go back to work, when she can just live off the government, well, really our tax dollars.

And how on earth does she need that much? $300 for one person seems way too much in food stamp money.It should be half of that.

Speaking of these "poor" you talk about....I met an early 40's, single, self employed tv camera man. He goes out to eat daily, spends freely, yet he does not show his income properly and qualifies for welfare. So he goes to nice restaurants every day yet my tax dollars go to him not wanting to be responsible and getting health care insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
She is not homeless.

Since she has no responsibility to anyone but herself, she should be able to get a job, since child care is not an issue.

I have no pity for the clueless.
Obviously these two are employed and have no idea how difficult it is even to get a job at McD's or Walmart, I've applied to both and ANY job available in the area. So much for compassion for your fellow human.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Obviously these two are employed and have no idea how difficult it is even to get a job at McD's or Walmart, I've applied to both and ANY job available in the area. So much for compassion for your fellow human.
Well then, keep trying.

BTW....do you posses ANY employable skills?

Do you have a good resume'?

Were you a good employee at former jobs?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Quote:
She is not homeless.

Since she has no responsibility to anyone but herself, she should be able to get a job, since child care is not an issue.

I have no pity for the clueless.
According to the OP she is living with her sister rent free in exchange for childcare. If not for this arrangement, she would be homeless.

She may be able to get a job. Part time, low paying probably not in her field. Then she would not be staying with her sister rent free. With insufficient income she probably could not pay rent and utilities and cover transportation expenses. In that situation she would probably not only qualify for FS, but some housing or utility assistance as well. Seems like she is saving the tax payers a little money and dosent need your pity.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well then, keep trying.

Guess you didnt pick up on the fact she recently took courses and got her certification and has work all her life, at 60 Id say she has a good resume.
Even if she was employee of the month every month at her age it is even more difficult to get a job.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
The woman would not starve to death. If facing death...well more appropriately no goverment assistance, she would go out and find a job. Fast food, janitorial, etc, some sort of job. The fact is though, she became used to being lazy and collecting unemployment and now does not want to go back to work, when she can just live off the government, well, really our tax dollars.

And how on earth does she need that much? $300 for one person seems way too much in food stamp money.It should be half of that.

Speaking of these "poor" you talk about....I met an early 40's, single, self employed tv camera man. He goes out to eat daily, spends freely, yet he does not show his income properly and qualifies for welfare. So he goes to nice restaurants every day yet my tax dollars go to him not wanting to be responsible and getting health care insurance?

She isnt exactly living off the government. She is getting food subsidies. There is nothing wrong with drawing your unemployment claim. Would you not accept payment from your insurance co. if you were in an auto accident.

I wonder if you ever do any grocery shopping. Honestly do you eat for $5/day. Id dare say most ppl spend that on their daily cappuccino/latte/frappe.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,476,515 times
Quote:
Well then, keep trying.

Do you have any idea how offensive your post is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Guess you didnt pick up on the fact she recently took courses and got her certification and has work all her life, at 60 Id say she has a good resume.
Even if she was employee of the month every month at her age it is even more difficult to get a job.
^ this - and thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
First off, anyone coming into our country "America" should not be allowed to go directly on welfare. If you want to come to our country, you must have something to offer us. A trade, or skill, education...etc......something to the like. Not coming here dirt poor with 3 kids. No, that doesn't cut it.

Welfare should only be allowed to our citizens that have become down on their luck, lost a job, health reasons. It also should be capped at a certain amount so people will not have 8 kids thinking they can get money for 8 kids.....It isn't fair to the rest of our working people. Me included.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM

345 posts, read 937,073 times
Some states are passing laws that welfare recipients must pass drug tests to receive benefits. I say all 50 states need to get in on this!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,587,099 times
Quote:
You mean should our tax dollars provide 75$ a week for food to a single, childless person who is homeless and was laid off from her job during difficult economic times when the unemployment is around 9+%. I vote yes considering I blame our government for most of the job losses and high unemployment. The gov. does little to support small business, but they support NAFTA, and do nothing to stop the out of control illegal immigration. We have no qualms handing out foodstamps, medical benefits and free housing to single parents who had no means to support the children they produced or illegal immigrants that have no business here much less to receive benefits. Not to mention the bail out of large corporations and banks.

So giving 75$ a week for food to a citizen who was responsible enough to not have children out of wedlock, was gainfully employed and paid into the system for ??????amount of time and has figured a way to trade her services, legally, for the remainder of her support until the economy becomes more stable seem a small burden.
Good morning,

I agree that we should help this woman eat, with a set time limit along with job training and job placement, but you brought up an interesting question. Are you saying the taxpayers should pay to take care of people, because of mistakes and bad policies made by the government? It seems as if that's what you're saying. Shouldn't the solution be to give the government less money to avoid more bad programs?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,587,099 times
Quote:
She isnt exactly living off the government. She is getting food subsidies. There is nothing wrong with drawing your unemployment claim. Would you not accept payment from your insurance co. if you were in an auto accident.

I wonder if you ever do any grocery shopping. Honestly do you eat for $5/day. Id dare say most ppl spend that on their daily cappuccino/latte/frappe.
Good morning,

It's possible, I eat for about $5 daily, mostly for healthier eating, but the side effect is saving money. I am extremely stuffed after each meal.

Here is my own $5 per day meal plan:

Breakfast:
-Banana: $1.50 for a bunch of 7, will last 7 days: ($0.21 per day)
-Instant Oatmeal: $2.00 for a box, will last 10 days: ($0.20 per day), or buy the big can of Quaker oats and cook them for even cheaper!
-Water: Free

Lunch:
-Baked/Boiled Potato: 10 lb bag (approx 20 or more 1/4 lb potatoes) will last 20 or more days ($0.075 per day)
-Small Chili, (Vegetable, Bean and Meat): $1.39 at Wendy's, or substitute multiple turkey sandwiches with cheese for about the same price, ($1.39 per day).
-Apple: $0.39 each

Dinner:
-Chicken Breasts: Family pack, will last 2 weeks at $15: ($1.07 per day)
-Knorr Rice or Pasta Sides: Many flavors, 12 pack for $14, will last 12 days: ($1.16 per day) or substitute brown rice, pasta, or multiple baked/boiled potatoes for less!
-Canned or Frozen Vegetables: (a variety of vegetables are approx $1.00 per day or less)
-Fruit: $.50 per serving for orange or fresh pineapple. ($0.50 per day)

Total spent: $4.91 to $5.99 per day.

The point of this exercise is to prove that thinking out of the box, one could do this and eat very well. Notice I have the recommended 2 fruits and 3 veggies, and the fiber. People spend more than we really need to, and eat more than we need to. I usually eat 1800 to 2000 calories per day.

Last edited by Freedom123; 01-28-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates