U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,222 posts, read 7,012,944 times
Reputation: 6603

Advertisements

markg91359,
I agree that food stamps and public assistance for people that truly need them are great and needed programs. However going through the RED TAPE procedures to get assistance takes time. Sometimes is may be weeks or months before that assistance is approved. Many that have lost their job and home and have no friends or relatives to help them have resorted to crime to meet their needs. What I was hoping to point out in my post is that survival in an urban environment is possible WITHOUT resorting to criminal activities.

I would never want to see food stamp and other programs that help needy folks done away with. What I would like to see is stopping abuses of the system.

GL2

 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,089 posts, read 20,587,297 times
Reputation: 20419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I agree that food stamps and public assistance for people that truly need them are great and needed programs. However going through the RED TAPE procedures to get assistance takes time. Sometimes is may be weeks or months before that assistance is approved. Many that have lost their job and home and have no friends or relatives to help them have resorted to crime to meet their needs. What I was hoping to point out in my post is that survival in an urban environment is possible WITHOUT resorting to criminal activities.

I would never want to see food stamp and other programs that help needy folks done away with. What I would like to see is stopping abuses of the system.

GL2
Survival techniques are always good to know.

I agree with Mark.
With all the ways our government wastes our tax dollars I cant believe anyone gets upset over providing the bare minimum necessities for those down on their luck.
$300/month for food. I bet our president and first Lady spend that on one meal.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM
 
372 posts, read 396,397 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I would never want to see food stamp and other programs that help needy folks done away with. What I would like to see is stopping abuses of the system. GL2
Agreed.

I have used SNAP (the new acronym for food stamp assistance) twice since last summer---first, when the Senate could not get their act together and allowed extended unemployment benefits to lapse for almost two months and again in December, when they came to another impasse'.
Both times I was required to submit documentation proving I had no income (copies of letters from my state's DOL, check stubs, etc.). I don't
know about other states' application processes, but where I live they make it abundantly clear that if you knowingly abuse the food stamp
program and are caught, you will be prosecuted and banned from future participation. I guess that isn't enough to stop those who think this will
never happen to them...just like anyone else who consciously steals without any regard to the harm it may do to themselves or to others.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
 
44,723 posts, read 43,262,217 times
Reputation: 14445
I look at it this way. Welfare shouldn't be made a lifestyle of. At the same time, there are times when people do need it. Just because a person is physically capable of working doesn't mean a person can find a job. Finding a job is often harder than performing on the job. I should know as I have been unemployed for prolonged periods of time. It bites and I can understand what that feels like.

My professor looks at welfare this way, and I totally understand why: When people starve in the rural areas, they die. When people starve in the cities, they riot.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 AM
 
372 posts, read 396,397 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
How poor do you have to be to qualify for food stamps? I have seen tremendous inequalities in the approval/disapproval procedures. GL2
USDA WEBSITE ON ELIGIBILITY Eligibility


INCOME RESTRICTIONS
  • Beginning July 1, 2009, income limit for most households is 185% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL), with no net income or asset limit. Households with an elderly (ages 60+) or disabled member do not have to meet a gross income limit. Instead, shelter, medical, and other qualifying expenses are deducted from gross income. If the gross income of an elderly/disabled household is below 185% FPL, there is no asset test and there is no net income test. However, if the elderly/disabled household's income exceeds 185% FPL, the net income after allowable deductions cannot be more than 100% FPL and they cannot have more than $3000 in countable assets.
  • Combat pay is not included as income.
ASSET RESTRICTIONS
  • Elderly or disabled households with gross income over 185% FPL is $3,000. There is no asset limit if gross income is at or below 185% of FPL.
  • Not all assets count toward the asset limit.
  • The value of a house a person owns and lives in is not counted and a lien is not placed on a home.
  • Retirement accounts are not counted as assets.
  • Car value is NOT counted as an asset.
FOOD STAMPS
 
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,222 posts, read 7,012,944 times
Reputation: 6603
Gerrygal posted a great link to information about food stamps
Eligibility
That was very useful info Gerrygal. I am retired and living off of retirement accounts. According to the guidelines I could probably qualify for food stamps if I sold my old beater car or my shiny five year old motorcycle. My biggest financial problem right now is figuring out which relative/s will inherit my estate. I paid high taxes for many years and it is nice to know that I could get food stamps if I really needed them.

GL2
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 1,374,299 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I think they should create tent cities with army-style barracks and require single able-bodied persons to live dormitory style, eat in mess halls & labor in fields for their board & care. If there was a way we could set-up these kind of labor camps in Mexico (where it would be dirt cheap) it would be even better.
So in other words, punish the responsible, the ones who made appropriate choices regarding sex?? What about the welfare moms who "CHOOSE" to have kids just simply because they don't want to work?

I am 30, single, and struggling to find work. I live in southern Indiana. I chose not to settle for any ole jerk. I chose not to have kids while I couldn't afford them. I chose to get a college education and have been working since I was 16. I was laid off from my job and am struggling to find another one. I can't get Medicaid, food stamps, or housing assistance. I have asthma and can barely afford my prescriptions.

Yet, I drive just a few miles and I see women on welfare who choose not to work and get drunk. Some of these women have five-ten kids with no father around. The woman can get free medicaid, food stamps, section 8, free lunch, free college education. I saw one single woman who chose to have 5 kids all before the age of 25. The government bought her a huge, nice house and is paying for all her food and medical care. She has no intention of keeping her legs closed because she likes the checks and big house.

We currently have a government that rewards poor behavior and leaves the responsible, down on their luck, to basically fend for themselves.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 1,374,299 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
She is not homeless.

Since she has no responsibility to anyone but herself, she should be able to get a job, since child care is not an issue.

I have no pity for the clueless.
Really?? Do you have a clue how hard it is to find a job these days? Many of the unemployed I know have so much to offer a potential employer. They are smart, educated, hardworking, motivated, eager, enthusiastic individuals. Yet, companies discriminate against them because of people like yourself who have the attitude that all unemployed people are lazy.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 4,443,302 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
So in other words, punish the responsible, the ones who made appropriate choices regarding sex?? What about the welfare moms who "CHOOSE" to have kids just simply because they don't want to work?

I am 30, single, and struggling to find work. I live in southern Indiana. I chose not to settle for any ole jerk. I chose not to have kids while I couldn't afford them. I chose to get a college education and have been working since I was 16. I was laid off from my job and am struggling to find another one. I can't get Medicaid, food stamps, or housing assistance. I have asthma and can barely afford my prescriptions.

Yet, I drive just a few miles and I see women on welfare who choose not to work and get drunk. Some of these women have five-ten kids with no father around. The woman can get free medicaid, food stamps, section 8, free lunch, free college education. I saw one single woman who chose to have 5 kids all before the age of 25. The government bought her a huge, nice house and is paying for all her food and medical care. She has no intention of keeping her legs closed because she likes the checks and big house.

We currently have a government that rewards poor behavior and leaves the responsible, down on their luck, to basically fend for themselves.
I'm sorry for your financial troubles and don't mean to offend you or anyone else who's having difficulties making ends meet in these tough economic times.

But for those who're single & able-bodied (I'm not sure if with your asthma if you would be or not), why can't the government set-up WPA style farms where one's manual labor could be exchanged for food & shelter? Calling it "punishment" is really a slap-in-the-face to tens of thousands of migrants who risk life & limb to sneak across the border illegally to toil in our fields. Plus I think many will agree that a work-for-food program is better than handouts.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm just throwing out an idea that's all.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Arizona
12,759 posts, read 7,387,317 times
Reputation: 6738
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I'm sorry for your financial troubles and don't mean to offend you or anyone else who's having difficulties making ends meet in these tough economic times.

But for those who're single & able-bodied (I'm not sure if with your asthma if you would be or not), why can't the government set-up WPA style farms where one's manual labor could be exchanged for food & shelter? Calling it "punishment" is really a slap-in-the-face to tens of thousands of migrants who risk life & limb to sneak across the border illegally to toil in our fields. Plus I think many will agree that a work-for-food program is better than handouts.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm just throwing out an idea that's all.
Kinda like the Khamer Rouge did to the intelectual of Cambodia during the Pol Pot regeme when they sent all the city folk who they deemed a burden to society, to work in the rice paddies outside of the cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top