Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

I personally believe that she is entitled to it because she contributed to it by working.

But I also believe that any government assistance should be purely temporary with the exception of the handicap, mentallly & physically disabled.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Lazy people can definitely burden society, but the most intriguing part of this question isn't whether the person is lazy, but that she is single and was previously employed.

There are women who do not work, yet have managed to produce one or many children, and the government supports those children and the mother. Placing someone at a disadvantage because they used to be employed and have no children is not acceptable, while the government pays for some who have never worked, yet have many children. What presumes that a person with a child would be any more worthy of receiving assistance than would a person without a child? What presumes that a person who was previously employed would be less worthy of receiving assistance than a person who never worked in the first place?

Aside from the apparent fact that the woman is just lazy, it makes no sense to deny her benefits because she has no children, and was previously employed. If anything, it's backwards.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yes I think the current system promotes people to make bad choices to get benefits that can doom them pretty much the rest of their lifes. I see no reason to discriminate based on statis of single;with children or married.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
I think they should create tent cities with army-style barracks and require single able-bodied persons to live dormitory style, eat in mess halls & labor in fields for their board & care. If there was a way we could set-up these kind of labor camps in Mexico (where it would be dirt cheap) it would be even better.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
People who have jobs and own their own homes, don't need welfare or foodstamps. It's the ones who don't have jobs, and don't own homes, who qualify for them. In fact, that's an actual rule: you have to not own equity in your home, and you have to have no other means of income. Welfare and foodstamps are intended to assist people who can't get food or housing - not for people who already have it.
There are lots of seniors who get food stamps because their SSI is below the poverty level for their state and they own their home.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
A lady I know was laid off from her job as a Administrative Assistant two years ago and did a half hearted job search that came up dry after two years. She collected 99 week of benefits and was finally cut off as her eligibilty ended. Now she is still unemployed, without a dime to her name, so she went down to the welfare office to apply for benefits. They offered her about $300 in food stamps, but nothing else.

She lives with he sister and can survive with $300 in food (from the food stamps) and the sister will not charge her rent because she takes care of her kids for rent. (The person I am talking about is single and childless. The kids she helps watch are her sisters) So her basic needs are covered. She could survive under this situation for years.

So my question is does America owe this woman anything? Should people who just can not (or will not) find a job be supported until......???
While I am not a big fan of government assistance, I do believe that it should be fair and equal to everyone and that single people, or people who are childfree should not be discriminated against. Right now, if you are childfree and "able bodied" you can only draw food stamps for three months out of the year. The rest of the time you can die of starvation for all anyone cares.

Just because a person has proven that they are capable of reproduction does not mean they should receive special treatment, but alas, they do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I think they should create tent cities with army-style barracks and require single able-bodied persons to live dormitory style, eat in mess halls & labor in fields for their board & care. If there was a way we could set-up these kind of labor camps in Mexico (where it would be dirt cheap) it would be even better.
I see. Inter people just because hey have not managed to breed. Oh, that's charming.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post

So my question is does America owe this woman anything? Should people who just can not (or will not) find a job be supported until......???
You would have the woman starve to death?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 AM

203 posts, read 322,033 times
I would have to answer your question with a NO. We the people pay good taxes for our policemen policewomen fire fighters and other heroes that serve our nation, but with her taking $300 in food stamps, that takes $300 from our taxes making less jobs for those who really need the jobs to support themselves in life. Now If she was morally handicapped I would say yes, but as what you have said I would 100% have to say NO.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Oh another hate thread against the poor. I'm on food stamps right now after working for decades got laid off due to the economy, I've spent 2+ years looking for work, I even took a phlebotomy course and got certified and still no job, at 60 years old I'm facing age discrimination. It's now 6am and I've already been on the computer looking for work and will do so for 8-10 hours today like every day. The $200. a month I get for food stamps keeps me from starving as a single woman with no children I'm not elegible for any other options like welfare or medicaid. I'm selling everything of value I own to stay afloat including family heirlooms for pennies on the dollar. It's obvious from the posters on this thread that NONE of you are currently unemployed and have no idea how bad the situation really is to find work right now.

After a lifetime of working, I really never thought I'd end up in this position of needing extended help. There are now millions of us in a similar situation and until the economy gets better there will continue to be more and more as they run out of unemployment benefits.

I don't want to be unemployed and apply to everything I'm able to do. I've lived modestly all my life and never had the big bucks salary, but here I am along with millions who can't find work. There are 6 people for every 1 job available right now so that means 5 people no matter how hard they look will not find a job.

I've paid taxes for 40 years and your solution is I starve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates