Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also, I think recepients should be required to do some kind of work to get food stamps, welfare, etc. Put people to work sweeping the streets or something, for goodness sake
AGREE!!!

Esp. in these areas where we were hit hard with snow, have them help with the shoveling ot something.
And who is going to supervise/schedule the work and keep up with time. What if they dont have transportation or childcare. What if they fall and break a bone. Will the state will be liable for workmans comp.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And who is going to supervise/schedule the work and keep up with time. What if they dont have transportation or childcare. What if they fall and break a bone. Will the state will be liable for workmans comp.

I thought about that when I typed it, but I was just throwing out an example.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I thought about that when I typed it, but I was just throwing out an example.

Many have suggested that but I dont think they have thought about problems associated with implementing the idea. It is a shame our county has become so sue happy and regulated that it would be more cost efficient to just give handouts then allow people to work for assistance.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
When people work and pay taxes, they have already paid towards the extra benefits they may receive if they should become unemployed. I am in my 50's....if I lost my job, I doubt I would qualify for food stamps, but I do think they should be available to me if I need them without having to 'work' for them.

I personally would rather my tax dollars go to feed people regardless of circumstance....rather than all the other crap government spends my tax dollars on.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
One time I noticed a carrier type thing (sorry, I don't have kids, what are they called???) sitting in a laundry cart/basket with the baby in it - few months old, at best. Parents and siblings were WAY on the other side of the laundromat, nowhere close and I know they couldn't even see the baby from where they were (not that that would matter IMO).

Really???????? And we are supporting these people, encouraging them to keep havings kids and treat them like this??
She was probably hoping someone would kidnap it so she could sue the laundromat.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
She was probably hoping someone would kidnap it so she could sue the laundromat.
Sad, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Many have suggested that but I dont think they have thought about problems associated with implementing the idea. It is a shame our county has become so sue happy and regulated that it would be more cost efficient to just give handouts then allow people to work for assistance.

Very true, and it's quite a shame. It's unreal what people sue over these days. Sadly, my mom has friends who do this (or attempt to, at least). Everytime my mom saw/talked to them, the husband had a new lawsuit against someone for something. Many got thrown out, but he just keeps trying to sue people for any little thing.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
A lady I know was laid off from her job as a Administrative Assistant two years ago and did a half hearted job search that came up dry after two years. She collected 99 week of benefits and was finally cut off as her eligibilty ended. Now she is still unemployed, without a dime to her name, so she went down to the welfare office to apply for benefits. They offered her about $300 in food stamps, but nothing else.

She lives with he sister and can survive with $300 in food (from the food stamps) and the sister will not charge her rent because she takes care of her kids for rent. (The person I am talking about is single and childless. The kids she helps watch are her sisters) So her basic needs are covered. She could survive under this situation for years.

So my question is does America owe this woman anything? Should people who just can not (or will not) find a job be supported until......???
Every case is different....but this woman paid into the system for years I assume. So any older American who worked all their life and can no longer work....or is widowed etc.....should then be forced into starvation. A society is judged historically by how it treated it's weakest and most unfortunate members...looks like we won't fare too well.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Just a little correction here from someone with a legal background. State worker's compensation laws bar employees from suing their employer. An employer is automatically liable, regardless of fault, for medical expenses and reasonable lost wages when an employee is injured on the job.

The legal system rightfully deserves blame for some of the problems we have. It doesn't deserve to be blamed when people don't even have the right to file a lawsuit.

There is something to what you say about work programs in the sense that it may be cheaper for government to hand out benefits rather than trying to employ low skill people--many of whom don't want to have to work for what they receive. An employer has to contend with minimum wage laws, maximum hour laws, and occupational safety and health restrictions. He must be aware of fair hiring practices, make certain he pays social security and medicare taxes, and properly withhold monies for all federal and state taxes. Its why so many accountants work for businesses. All of this regulation makes hiring an employee a significant investment. If you start with people who really don't want to be there in the first place it can be a real mess.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 PM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
People who have jobs and own their own homes, don't need welfare or foodstamps. It's the ones who don't have jobs, and don't own homes, who qualify for them. In fact, that's an actual rule: you have to not own equity in your home, and you have to have no other means of income. Welfare and foodstamps are intended to assist people who can't get food or housing - not for people who already have it.
That is not true everywere. Our family has three people, husband (me) wife and 5yo son. Until recently, I have been unemployed for about a year and a half. I start work tomorrow.

I own my home and pay a mortgage on it. My income for 3 people, until I start working, is about $1000 month. We have qualified for food stamps for about 4 months. I assume they will be phased out as our income increases over the next several months, as they should be.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates