Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
agree that perhaps we should put limits on welfare mothers, but a blanket decision of no more benefit money after X amount of kids would hurt those who have more kids but ARE responsible.
How is it responsible to get pregnant and have additional children when you are already receiving assistance for children you cant afford to feed. Birth control is free thru PP.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Yes, single people should be eligible for government aid, with a limit. Obviously living costs are more for somebody with children, but again, there should be a limit. The welfare baby thing is really out of control but I suppose that's a whole different subject altogether.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Bet she could find work. She just doesn't want to do that kind of work. If illegal aliens can find jobs, so can she. Make her earn the food stamps. Time to make people "do the jobs Americans won't do."
There are plenty of college educated Americans right now who are quite willing and ready to take the jobs illegals are stealing from us.

Time to blow that "their only doing the jobs Americans won't do" straight out of the water. It's a MYTH.

So you are saying that we went to college for careers we don't want to do, Laura ?

I'm not going to repeat my story again as I've done it many other times on this site, suffice it to say that I am one of those Americans who can't get a job in my chosen field because of the illegal influx. I'm seriously resorting to having to go back into retail which would be hard since I am now in debt for student loans.

Competing with my own for jobs is one thing; being forced to compete with those who shouldn't even be here to begin with is another.

To answer the OPs question; YES she should get the help she needs as she paid into the system her entire life, plus the age discrimination she faces.

My mother who paid THOUSANDS of taxes during her tenure as a senior computer programmer now works at WalFart at the age of 69 due to age discrimination and outsourcing. She has the pleasure on a daily basis of watching the illegals and welfaeries loading up carts full of pop and candy purchasing them with food stamps while their free-range kids terrorize the other customers.

But she won't apply because of her pride and it's how she was raised. I'm tempted to secretly apply FOR her if that's possible. She can't even currently afford her blood pressure medicine that she needs, and that's only 4 dollars with medicare. While all around her people are breeding rampantly and living quite well for it apparently.

Mandatory birth control for benefits, forcibly if need be. We need to stop this nonsense that "my religion tells me to". Especially with our economy the way it is. This is a state of emergency folks.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How is it responsible to get pregnant and have additional children when you are already receiving assistance for children you cant afford to feed. Birth control is free thru PP.[/quote]
Not for long, if the Republicans have their way.

After all, the Bible says we are supposed to go forth and populate the earth, that is the prime directive. You want to get into heaven, don't you?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM

[quote=Annie53;20067564]
Quote:

Not for long, if the Republicans have their way.

After all, the Bible says we are supposed to go forth and populate the earth, that is the prime directive. You want to get into heaven, don't you?
LOL. Maybe thats the answer to the food stamp debate. The bible also speaks of eating our flesh and the flesh of our children. Jonathan Swift also suggested it (satirically) in A Modest Proposal.

I am just kidding.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Yes, I know unemployed single people who live on that allotment of food stamps, right now, $200 a month. That is huge, especially if you can't find a job. I don't want people to be denied food in our country.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
As a single person, I think that single people should receive more than they do. Those of us who are female and of whom did not have kids could have easily gone the welfare mother route and popped out a few babies to have the state take care of us. I had classmates back in high school who did just that. Why be responsible? It gets you nowhere in the end!
Update: The state will not take care of you if you have a baby. Having and raising a baby is quite expensive. The costs go far beyond those directly infant-related costs that state programs will provide some help with. You are apparently envious of a group of people that doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, one of the most frequent stories you will hear from those who have been laid off in this recession is that of being over-qualified. Employers will not hire you because they know full well that you'll quit and take the first better job offer that comes along, leaving them with the same hole to fill all over again. They'd rather hire someone whose qualifications and ambitions are a better fit for the job. That's the reality of the situation.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
There are plenty of college educated Americans right now who are quite willing and ready to take the jobs illegals are stealing from us. Time to blow that "their only doing the jobs Americans won't do" straight out of the water. It's a MYTH.
No, it isn't. How long do you actually think a "college-educated American" will work long and bad hoiurs as a busboy? Two weeks? A month? Longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
My mother who paid THOUSANDS of taxes during her tenure as a senior computer programmer now works at WalFart at the age of 69 due to age discrimination and outsourcing. She has the pleasure on a daily basis of watching the illegals and welfaeries loading up carts full of pop and candy purchasing them with food stamps while their free-range kids terrorize the other customers. But she won't apply because of her pride and it's how she was raised. I'm tempted to secretly apply FOR her if that's possible.
SNAP (i.e., food stamps) basically provides assistance equal to maximum levels set by family size LESS 30% of your income for those whose income is at or below 130% of poverty level. The maximum monthly SNAP benefit for an individual is currently $200. Thus, anyone making $667 or more per month is not eligible for any food stamps at all.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, I know unemployed single people who live on that allotment of food stamps, right now, $200 a month. That is huge, especially if you can't find a job. I don't want people to be denied food in our country.
They aren't living on that $200 for more than three months. If you are an able-bodied adult without dependents and suddenly lose all your income, that's as long as you can receive benefits without meeting a work requirement. You must either be working or looking or training for work. You must accept work that you are offered or referred to. Since SNAP is state-administered under federal guidelines, some states that can afford to choose to relax those standards. But those are the standards.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They aren't living on that $200 for more than three months. If you are an able-bodied adult without dependents and suddenly lose all your income, that's as long as you can receive benefits without meeting a work requirement. You must either be working or looking or training for work. You must accept work that you are offered or referred to. Since SNAP is state-administered under federal guidelines, some states that can afford to choose to relax those standards. But those are the standards.
Federal guidelines amount to squat. I know several people (able bodied adults with and without dependents) that have been receiving FS for years. You just have to fill out a form every 6 months stating you still have no income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates