Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
A lady I know was laid off from her job as a Administrative Assistant two years ago and did a half hearted job search that came up dry after two years. She collected 99 week of benefits and was finally cut off as her eligibilty ended. Now she is still unemployed, without a dime to her name, so she went down to the welfare office to apply for benefits. They offered her about $300 in food stamps, but nothing else.

She lives with he sister and can survive with $300 in food (from the food stamps) and the sister will not charge her rent because she takes care of her kids for rent. (The person I am talking about is single and childless. The kids she helps watch are her sisters) So her basic needs are covered. She could survive under this situation for years.

So my question is does America owe this woman anything? Should people who just can not (or will not) find a job be supported until......???
Yes, as long as she's American and can't find work. If they can give free welfare to corporations, free medicare to illegals, and free money to foreign nations, then, why not food to the involuntarily unemployed?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:52 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Yes, as long as she's American and can't find work. If they can give free welfare to corporations, free medicare to illegals, and free money to foreign nations, then, why not food to the involuntarily unemployed?
Why not simply correct the bad policies you stated instead of using it to justify another bad policy?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Why not simply correct the bad policies you stated instead of using it to justify another bad policy?
I don't make the policies otherwise I would stop all of the above. I am merely giving my opinion.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I don't make the policies otherwise I would stop all of the above. I am merely giving my opinion.
I agree with that position. Why not say that in the first place instead of justifying bad with more bad? This is a forum for sharing thoughts, so we'd like to hear your REAL position.

I too would stop them all, or convert all safety nets for able-bodied people into a workfare system with job training.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I personally believe that she is entitled to it because she contributed to it by working.

But I also believe that any government assistance should be purely temporary with the exception of the handicap, mentallly & physically disabled.
So far you said exactly what I think in a nutshell.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
If "Corporatiions are people" then why should they get welfare as subsidies

Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If "Corporatiions are people" then why should they get welfare as subsidies
Using that logic, they are entitled to it, since other "people" already receive welfare and subsidies through the tax code.

That being said, I disagree with welfare for any person or corporation. I'd be happy if we removed the government protected groups of people and made them act as partnerships like they were in the past. Companies like Lehman Bros and Bear Stearns never took crazy risks in the past because the partners all had personal assets at risk if anyone made a stupid investment.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Of course single people, particularly single mothers, should get food stamps. Food stamps are meant to keep the cash moving through the agricultural system. Feeding people is a byproduct.

You just reminded me.....

People with food stamps can cash them in to spend on other products. I knew a woman who used to cash in her food stamps to buy booze when she had two young children to feed. I thought it was stopped but I'm not sure if the Gov't did anything to make sure the food stamps couldn't be accepted unless they were spent in a supermarket for food. It's like giving them cash to do anything they want with it.

She could just as easily cash it in with the liquor store owner buy some booze then spend the rest of on gambling or cigarettes. Well hey gotta keep that cash flow moving, boost the economy.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
You just reminded me.....

People with food stamps can cash them in to spend on other products. I knew a woman who used to cash in her food stamps to buy booze when she had two young children to feed. I thought it was stopped but I'm not sure if the Gov't did anything to make sure the food stamps couldn't be accepted unless they were spent in a supermarket for food. It's like giving them cash to do anything they want with it.

She could just as easily cash it in with the liquor store owner buy some booze then spend the rest of on gambling or cigarettes. Well hey gotta keep that cash flow moving, boost the economy.
Yep, I saw a lot of this when I was younger. Yet another reason why we should give people workfare jobs instead of checks, they'll value the money more since they are spending what they EARNED.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I agree with that position. Why not say that in the first place instead of justifying bad with more bad? This is a forum for sharing thoughts, so we'd like to hear your REAL position.

I too would stop them all, or convert all safety nets for able-bodied people into a workfare system with job training.
Because it's not realistic, therefore, I believe people who are involuntarily unemployed and who have no means of support, should be eligible for stamps. I guess you are still asking 'why I would compound the problem' but I don't think it is sinking into your brain: Because as I typed in my initial post, I think the American government should look after its citizens 1st. Anything that's leftover, then, maybe if we feel like it, could be donated. Foreigners have their own government to take care of them and the US has zero responsibility. So until we change policy (which I don't see happening in my lifetime) and eliminate all foreign aid, corporate welfare, and benefits for illegals, then, Americans get food stamps! It's not unemployed peoples' faults that their government failed them by giving everything that is rightfully theirs, away.

Last edited by Jay100; 08-14-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates