U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,712,134 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I recently heard a report on the news that one of the politicians is suggesting that if you want to claim unemployment, you need to do 4 hours a week of community service to "earn your unemployment".

Thoughts?

Here's mine. No, I don't think so. I am a US citizen, born and raised here. I work hard and have funds put into the unemployment compensation program so that IF I do get laid off from a job, those benefits are there for me to have to help get me through to the next job.

I do NOT agree that I need to work for whats mine that I have already worked for and paid into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,472,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hi All,

I recently heard a report on the news that one of the politicians is suggesting that if you want to claim unemployment, you need to do 4 hours a week of community service to "earn your unemployment".

Thoughts?

Here's mine. No, I don't think so. I am a US citizen, born and raised here. I work hard and have funds put into the unemployment compensation program so that IF I do get laid off from a job, those benefits are there for me to have to help get me through to the next job.

I do NOT agree that I need to work for whats mine that I have already worked for and paid into.
I'm sorry but YOU DO NOT pay into this! Unemployment Compensation is paid by the employer. Based upon the employers history determines how much they pay. They pay into the state fund as well as federal. In situations like today covering a ridiculous amount of weeks, the US taxpayer is picking up the tab.
4 hours a week is a small price to pay, I personally think 4 hours a day would be a better choice.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM

31,201 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I personally think 4 hours a day would be a better choice.
If I were unemployed, I'd be spending that time looking for work.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,063,674 times
I think that without give specific thought this could be a good plan for extensions on the taxpayers dollar. It also might be good for the peopele themselves to have a schedule while still allowing time for job search. It also maybe a method of networking with others on job searching.I agree thoguht hat standard unemplyemnt is a tax o employers and extended is a entitlement from general revenues.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I'm sorry but YOU DO NOT pay into this! Unemployment Compensation is paid by the employer. Based upon the employers history determines how much they pay. They pay into the state fund as well as federal. In situations like today covering a ridiculous amount of weeks, the US taxpayer is picking up the tab.
Whoops...kind of makes the OP's complaint sound silly, doesn't it? It will be interesting to find out how he/she responds to this information.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,945,285 times
I have seen a lot of people using unemployment checks as a paid vacation in the past. I think more than four hours would be a good idea. It would give them more incentive to find jobs. I also think it could be geared to the economy. When jobs are scarce, people should be given the benefit of the doubt, that they are looking for work and perhaps these hours should be cut back or eliminated.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
the problem is this would significantly increase the cost of implementing unemployment. better just cutting the weeks/benefit and force people to take whatever job they can find. also, eliminate the minimum wage.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 14 days ago)

13,389 posts, read 11,888,030 times
No brainer - should have been done a long time ago.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,712,134 times
Ok, I misworded my OP. I do know that my employer pays into it but it's still a fact that it's something that those who have worked their entire lives deserve if by no choice of their own they lose their jobs. I still don't think that people should have to "work" for it when it's theirs anyway.

I've only been unemployed once before in my life due to a lay off. I'm coming up on my second time and I've been working since I was 14, I'm now coming up into another situation where I'm losing my job due to the business closing. Granted, I'm not overly joyed about losing my job but I'm not stressed about it either. I have only myself to care for and I can live very frugally.
I just don't agree that you should have to do something to earn getting unemployment. I do think that there are people who do take advantage of the system and perhaps their situations need to be investiaged further but for the average american who DOES work, I just don't agree.

I was curious to find out what everyone thought about it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
I agree with the OP. Although the insurance is paid by your employer it is still an insurance being paid just as your employer pays usually half of your heath insurance premium. I dont know if any of you have been unfortunate enough to have to draw your unemployment but it is no paid vacation. In the six weeks I was laid-off It took me almost a year to get caught back up financially.

And incintive to find work, really? Where are the jobs?
And community service, what is it going to cost to set it up, where are ppl going do this and will it take away for a paying job, will the businesses have to provide liability insurance, workmans com, training, transportation? In my area there arent even enough places (non-profit) to accomodate court ordered community service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or