Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM

113 posts, read 180,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the owners and managers despise workers and wish they were all robots that worked for a bit of electricity instead of wages.
This is very true. I think that greed is at the heart of the issue. I think that 50 or 60 years ago, company CEOs cared at least a little bit about their employees. There are a handful of companies that still do. Today it is make as much money as you can and throw the rank and file employees to the wolves if it saves the company an extra nickel. That is one reason why have all of the outsourcing, layoffs, and massive pay cuts for employees. At my last job as an aircraft pilot, I took a 40% pay cut before being laid off a year later.

I believe that in 20 years or less we will be another Mexico. Some people will be very rich, but the majority will be very poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
ExV - Impoverishment of the masses is the goal of Raygunomics. The business management class has made pursuit of bonuses a higher goal than payments to shareholders. Management is obsessed with short term, sometimes as little as hours, instead to the long term health of the business. I believe this is caused by the fact that the managers that destroy the business have moved on to another target and bonus system.

This managerial rape is common in business systems that have moved beyond manufacturing to straight finance where wealth is redistributed without being created. That is what the mortgage boom and bust was all about. The financiers made certain that everyone had a mortgage, housing prices inflated and then they collected the profits and ran away before the inevitable crash.

Then the government thy have rented was loyal enough to bail the financiers out of their own mess. It was not so kind to the rest of us.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,472,185 times
Quote:
ExV - Impoverishment of the masses is the goal of Raygunomics. The business management class has made pursuit of bonuses a higher goal than payments to shareholders. Management is obsessed with short term, sometimes as little as hours, instead to the long term health of the business. I believe this is caused by the fact that the managers that destroy the business have moved on to another target and bonus system.

This managerial rape is common in business systems that have moved beyond manufacturing to straight finance where wealth is redistributed without being created. That is what the mortgage boom and bust was all about. The financiers made certain that everyone had a mortgage, housing prices inflated and then they collected the profits and ran away before the inevitable crash.

Then the government thy have rented was loyal enough to bail the financiers out of their own mess. It was not so kind to the rest of us.
You are spot on except for one thing. Wall Street doesn't rent this government, it owns this government. To the extent that the very same fraudsters and architects of the collapse are still giving advice to Obama.

But hey...they said they were sorry. Didn't they?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 PM

142 posts, read 357,378 times
I have worked in human resources for the past 20 years or so and I can tell you from my experience, the background check is not performed until the hiring company has identified the finalist and has extended the offer to the candidate. In my experience, any offer that I have extended to a candidate explicitly states that the offer of employment is based on a successful background check (and in some cases a successful drug test).

Companies do not run background checks on every applicant - this would be very expensive and grounds for a lawsuit based on what the applicant reveals on the employment application. The initial screening process should include screening questions that ascertain the minimum job requirements have been met.

Credit checks should be used in any position involving cash; finance etc,
When I am hiring a software engineer my company is not concerned if he/she is late with a credit card bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Has the job market become too strict? What I mean is for pretty much every job now a days, is it a good thing to run a credit check or background check on everyone? Are these 12 page questionnaires necessary, do they really prove anything? What is someone has something on there background from five years ago? What if someone credit isn't ideal, then what? Are these decisions based on the company or just one persons opinion? How can you expect the country to drop its unemployment rate with more steps to complete? Not to mention all the state assisted help which you can get for what seems like forever. Lets hear it!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,339,244 times
Quote:
I think the owners and managers despise workers and wish they were all robots that worked for a bit of electricity instead of wages.
Some certainly do, but you know what if more workers actually worked and didn't behave like children who need a full time babysitter more managers wouldn't hate them. An appalling number of people these days seem to have an incredibly bad work ethic, they can't even bother to show up on time, or every day, is it any wonder employers are extremely cautious about who they hire?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,608,376 times
Technology has brought along a change in the way that one stage of life affects the stages that follow. The US had a tremendous appeal to immigrants in the past because it was possible to "start fresh," and people who screwed up in one area had the option of moving somewhere else and "reinventing" themselves.

This had advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages were fairly obvious; hucksters and charlatans and scammers could roam from place to place and never be identified as long as they never stayed in one area for too long. But the advantages were substantial as well - people were free to try new ideas and businesses with the knowledge that if the enterprise failed, the resulting debts could be wiped away via bankruptcy and that it would not spell the end of their financial lives.

This encouraged more business-formation, risk-taking, and entrepreneurship. The reality is, business is a process, and most people fail at their first venture - sometimes their first several ventures. It takes time to learn how to manage properly.

This ability to fail and try again has been eroded quite a lot by lifelong data acquisition, which pins failures to your "record" and keeps them there for years, if not indefinitely. Even if companies claim they "drop" or "erase" those types of things, third-party data aggregators certainly don't.

So it becomes less appealing to take a risk on a personal venture, since the stain of failure - if you fail - may now be permanent. There is much less chance for personal reinvention, and your early financial choices now have much more effect on your future financial status.

Quote:
if more workers actually worked and didn't behave like children who need a full time babysitter more managers wouldn't hate them.
Companies always complain about this, but then if you take a look behind their HR practices, they tend to get the job candidates they deserve. Exclusions are often based on criteria that sound good in theory, but turns out to have no actual bearing on job performance in practice. Such as demanding very specific types of "experience" that may only be held by sub-optimal candidates, but which could be learned by an inexperienced candidate. But since the requirements exclude inexperienced candidates, the HR department ends up hiring sub-optimal employees.

Drug-testing, for instance, was pushed hard by HR managers throughout the late-80's and 90's, but has actually been in decline in recent years for positions where it simply doesn't matter. This is because there doesn't appear to be much of a link between producing clean drug test results and being a "good" employee. And yet, HR departments ignored that data for years, and many continue to ignore it today.

They tend to get the candidates they deserve to get. No better and no worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates