Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times

Advertisements

The problem with parenthood "requirements" is that almost no one would meet them.

When I had my first child I had just found out four weeks before that my plant was shutting down, living with my mother (although paying the majority of the bills), and the only thing I owned was about 10,000 in debt for a Mustang GT I had just bought.

Yet, with a lot of hard work and a little government help, I graduated college with a 4.0 and a degree, got a great job in Detroit of all places making well into "middle class" income, and now make almost double that after 6 years with the company, own a home in Florida, on the water, have more than paid back the assistance I received, and am not contributing to society.

I know many others with similar stories. Becoming a parent changes things, A LOT OF THINGS!!! It changes who you are, I've seen people that partied every night of the week and all weekend long do a complete 180 and change their life instantly.

There are people that get worse, or don't change, don't get me wrong. But you can't put requirements on parenting. Not only would we lose many people like myself to our own self destruction, but we'd lose the countless other extraordinary citizens who were born to broken and damaged homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
To answer the question of the OP
!. Twenty one years old or above. (every child should have an adult as a parent)
2.Completed High School and two years of college or vocational school (minimum)
3.One parent employed
4. Married (or if Gay and denied the right to marry, the equivalent)
The outcomes for teen parenthood are abysmal! Child abuse, and murder- frequently at the hands of mom's current boyfriend.
There SHOULD be a law against teens having babies and raising them.'
A child under 21 who becomes pregnant should be given two options - relinquish the baby for adoption, or terminate the pregnancy.

The parents of the child who becomes pregnant should be issued a ticket, and fined. The family should be offered mandatory counseling. Including birth control counseling.

If the boy who fathered the child if known, the same should be offered to HIS family.

Ad yes I am deadly serious! I am sick of Caylee Anthony stories. (The grandparents were no better than the mom.)
I am sick of the glorification of teen motherhood. The whole concept is an oxymoron.
I am sick of battered, dead, abused and tortured children.

This is a less costly system. Less social services in the form of section 8 vouchers for teen age girls.
Less money spent prisons.
I am a harm reductionist, and this is a way to reduce harm to children and society.
I am sick of clueless middle class parents throwing baby showers for their daughters.
I am sick of Sarah Palin's daughter on Dancing with the Stars.

Being over a certain age does not guarantee people will be good parents and provide a stable home.
Being UNDER 21 and not meeting the criteria that I have out lined virtually guarantees that there will be problems.

I AM NOT interested in individual stories of unwed teen mothers who have done well.

I think that this plan could work out.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
To answer the question of the OP
!. Twenty one years old or above. (every child should have an adult as a parent)
2.Completed High School and two years of college or vocational school (minimum)
3.One parent employed
4. Married (or if Gay and denied the right to marry, the equivalent)
The outcomes for teen parenthood are abysmal! Child abuse, and murder- frequently at the hands of mom's current boyfriend.
There SHOULD be a law against teens having babies and raising them.'
A child under 21 who becomes pregnant should be given two options - relinquish the baby for adoption, or terminate the pregnancy.

The parents of the child who becomes pregnant should be issued a ticket, and fined. The family should be offered mandatory counseling. Including birth control counseling.

If the boy who fathered the child if known, the same should be offered to HIS family.

Ad yes I am deadly serious! I am sick of Caylee Anthony stories. (The grandparents were no better than the mom.)
I am sick of the glorification of teen motherhood. The whole concept is an oxymoron.
I am sick of battered, dead, abused and tortured children.

This is a less costly system. Less social services in the form of section 8 vouchers for teen age girls.
Less money spent prisons.
I am a harm reductionist, and this is a way to reduce harm to children and society.
I am sick of clueless middle class parents throwing baby showers for their daughters.
I am sick of Sarah Palin's daughter on Dancing with the Stars.

Being over a certain age does not guarantee people will be good parents and provide a stable home.
Being UNDER 21 and not meeting the criteria that I have out lined virtually guarantees that there will be problems.

I AM NOT interested in individual stories of unwed teen mothers who have done well.

I think that this plan could work out.
And what about those of us who got our degree or do fine after they find out that they will become parents.

I swear, the "holier than thou" attitude in this country.

People make mistakes, its been that way since the beginning of time. Usually, those of us that succeed need a push to get there, and many times a child is just that push.

Life is messy, social engineering on this kind of scale is authoritative and would never work.

Fine parents, really? What if they have no money? How do you fine someone who is making minimum wage or less already? Only married people should have children? What about those of us that live together but decide not to get married simple because of the tax burden?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
When people have children while they are still children the outcome is overwhelmingly bad.
I am against people under 21 with no education and no trade having children.
This problem is hurting our children and our society.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
Requirements for a parenthood permit

Fully operational equipment! I am seriously against the government saying who can or can not have children, t'ain't none of their damn business!!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:47 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I have read and seen some disturbing trends regarding new parents lately. Perhaps it is due to my profession (nurse in a large urban area) or my personal beliefs about who should be allowed to become parents. I would like honest, thoughtful input from those that visit this section of CD. If you had your way, what would be on your list of requirements to be allowed to procreate?

That they be male & female like biology dictates. I'm not a control freak & while I certainly realize that sometimes less than ideal couples have children, that, in & of itself is none of anybodies business. Adoption & artificial insemination are a different matter. Adoptive parents should also be male & female but since its not a case of reproduction but a case of trying to give the kid a good home the parents should be responsible & financially stable. Artificial insemination should be limited to male & female couples who for whatever reason cant have kids biologically.

I must admit I find it surprising that people worry about natural born children but seem to accept placing kids into the household of same sex couples & even single parent households.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times
A family member of mine who lives alone once tried to adopt a dog. He wanted companionship, he had a dog when he was younger and thought it would be a good thing for his mental psyche as well as rescuing an animal from the pound. As it turns out, the pound deemed him "unfit to adopt a dog."

Funny that we protect animals more than we protect people.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
While I'm not in favor of government controls for parental behavior, it seems there needs to be a more realistic approach to having children.

Foster parents in my state are scrutinized to the nth degree; to the point of knowing what the sleeping arrangements are between husband and wife. They require a written history of every relative and anyone you've lived with for the last twenty-five years, living and deceased. Of course, your medical, employment and financial records are gone over with a fine tooth comb. It is a most invasive procedure.

On the other hand, the natural parents of these foster children bear no responsibility for seeing that they get their meds while on home visitation, and little changes in the way the parents treat them.

Last edited by sirron; 02-24-2011 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
When people have children while they are still children the outcome is overwhelmingly bad.

No, the control freaks are hurting our society. Theres no reason people not fortunate enough to go to college cant be very sucessful & raise a family. I know some very wealthy college educated people who shouldn't even have a pet. Theres also many 16 year olds more mature & responsible than most 21 year olds.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
You may be against it, and I hope that you didn't make that decision for yourself, but you shouldn't be making decisions for others either. There are countless awesome citizens who were born to single parents, under the age of 21, who didn't even have a high school education.

What hurts our country is when the control freaks start telling everyone "oh, well we can't allow this", when its been allowed all along, and it worked just fine. There are bad examples, but just because 10 people do something the wrong way, and 5 of them turn out badly, doesn't mean you should punish the other 5 who turned things around either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates