Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 PM

7 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

I believe all parents should undergo parent training before they have a baby. This training would provide education on challenges in parenthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,542,654 times
You know I find this interesting. I'm thinking the opposite though. I care less about the people who shouldn't breed and more about the people who should.

Smart "successful" people (who presumably have good genes) are trying to be "good" and "responsible" by not bringing a child into this world. Moronic sexually promiscuous people are bringing in several.

How exactly do you think this is going to effect the gene pool? If you're smart, strong, well mannered, you have a responsibility to make sure your genetic line doesn't end with you.

But then again, if you have to be told this, if you can't figure it out on your own, clearly you aren't as smart as you think you are. Maybe it IS best that you voluntarily remove yourself from the gene pool.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
The basic requirement for a "Parenthood Permit" is to be intelligent enough to realize the absurdity of the suggestion.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,542,654 times
LOL That says a lot about the people responding in this thread.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 16,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
The only requirement would be some basic marriage and parenting classes. After that, have at it. However, I think that would be a waste of money. How many girls still get pregnant despite all the sex classes they get in high school and all the free condoms they get?

The problem is, who would be qualified to teach these classes? Who's to say their way is the best way?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,172,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I have read and seen some disturbing trends regarding new parents lately. Perhaps it is due to my profession (nurse in a large urban area) or my personal beliefs about who should be allowed to become parents. I would like honest, thoughtful input from those that visit this section of CD. If you had your way, what would be on your list of requirements to be allowed to procreate?
I would have a paper that I would require them to sign. This is what would be written on this paper:

Do what you want because you are going to do it anyway even when you are doing it because somebody else told you to do it. However, know this: you know when you are doing right and when you are doing wrong. Don't ignore those feelings.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,172,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The basic requirement for a "Parenthood Permit" is to be intelligent enough to realize the absurdity of the suggestion.
This is such a great post. When I saw the OP, I didn't know how to answer and I should have realized the absurdity of it but I did end up answering it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM

3,610 posts, read 3,855,646 times
This might be a decent idea in theory, but, it's practically impossible. All you have to do to create a potential baby is to have unprotected sex at the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) time of month.

What are you going to do? Force everyone without permission to undergo abortions? Mandatory IUD insertion for fertile women without a "parenthood permit"? There's no good way to implement this.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,289,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
"Every year 15 million children die of hunger".-The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics
Don't see much value in the skyscrapers you speak of, as long as this is still going on, it's pretty much a moot point. Also, is the Earth growing? We both know the answer. I've stated my opinions on this matter and don't expect to change anyone's views whose mind is already satisfied with the status quo on this issue. You can't convince me this isn't a problem.

World hunger isnt caused by a lack of food. Its caused by greed and lack of food transportation.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,782,881 times
Some should be told no. (like a job interview...we'll call you) One out of 10 people should become parents. The rest denied and ordered to adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates