U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't want to start a racial debate, but this is a genealogy forum, so this ties in.
That's exactly what you want to do. If you want to have such discussions that a-okay, just open them in the correct forum.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,224,208 times
I understand wanting to guard against the forum becoming too political. We all get tired of politics. That said, I still think it's a valid question and it does pertain to genealogy and ancestry, at least in a broad sense. We all will likely run into an ancestor we didn't like and we have to decide how that makes us feel, if anything at all. This topic was more of an extension of that.

If the mods feel it should be closed or moved I understand, but I still think it's a legitimate argument. I'm not trying to start anything.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM

159 posts, read 229,732 times
Hands down the present generation would resent big time if an older generation got reparations for the "40 acres and a mule" promise. I didn't cause it nor anyone else living at this time did either. Why should we pay out something our ancestors owed to the persecuted?

Let it rest already.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
The moment you hear the word "reparations," you can be certain of two things. One--somebody has an agenda. And two--the only people who are going to benefit are lawyers.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, you can all curse my boyfriend, because his great grandfather invented office cubicles! Seriously, he did. The company has changed names and hands several times since, but they were the first to make "movable office partition walls."
I want reparations from Bill Gates for traumatic stress disorder related to the atrocity of Windows Vista.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 AM

50 posts, read 90,769 times
Screw the slaves, I want reparations for being discriminated against in the 1980's for being gay!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 AM

9,486 posts, read 13,339,114 times
What about those with a mixed heritage, would they pay or be paid?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
here is not enough money i the world to actaully do such a thign and its unlikely that anyoen would agree as to which gets the nod anyway.Something similar was tried by teh peace treaty i WWI and look what it helped creat i germany. One reason the USA did so much to rebuild gwestern germany and Japan after WWII>

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM

175 posts, read 203,378 times
I stand by what was said above

"Fortunately our society does not hold children accountable for the sins of their fathers"

With the reparation logic, Egypt should pay reparations to Jewish people since that was the start of theyre pain and suffering!

Head lines would say "Israel invades Egypt as Jews reclaim the pyramids that their ancesters built!"

Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't want to start a racial debate, but this is a genealogy forum, so this ties in.

Obviously all we can each do is talk about our own experiences. I am not and will never be another race. Nor will I ever be a man. So my experience as a white woman might be different than others. I may not understand racism if I do not experience it.
It is good you try to be fair and objective. However, you do not have to be a man as I am or a let us say black or of Mexican decent as I am. However, what is fair is fair. I am assuming that you are a fair person. Fairness is what we are all talking about. So I suggest do not put yourself down as if you can't make conclusions on racism if you are not black or a man.

That said, just from what I have observed, it does seem to me that the world is more balanced today than it was when affirmative action began. Others might disagree with me, and my opinion is based on my own experiences.
I do agree with you, actually. Affirmative action may have force people to treat other groups in a certain way. But I believe the unintended consequences was resentment because whites, specially men, ended up now being discriminated in the name of reparation. People want immediate results but issues like this take a long time, at times one or two or more generations. The problem some people do not want to accept that. I can understand that feeling but to me it is that reality. Some laws actually hurt black in my opinion. Also, there are blacks that want to take it to an extreme by inciting the masses into a victim mentality.

Going further than that, I have read that some people have suggested that white descendants of slaveholders (for example) should provide some kind of reparations to the descendants of slaves. This has also been suggested for Native Americans. This is a view that does not seem to be a common one.
I just do not agree with that at all. How about we put different let us say indian tribes against each other when they fought for terrain out there? We are talking at least, what?, four generations when slavery was banned? Those that got directly hurt by it and those that inflicted it are gone. Sure, their decendants got freed at a disavantage. I will not deny that. But I do not see why the inocent decendants that had nothing to do with it should pay for their fathers. There were black activist that opened up schools or other programs to help their fellow black people start getting ahead in society. They realized that it will take time. They did not sit down crying 'I'm abused!" They did something about it. Many of them did not demand the government take action so they took it upon themselves.

While I sympathize with what Blacks and Native Americans went through (and probably still do in some places to some extent), I'm not really sure what good reparations would do.
To me reparations at this stage are simply not necessary and only do more damage than good in society as a whole. More divisive.

I could understand wanting justice for people who were abused, but I'm not sure that a person should be treated a certain way because of who their ancestors are. Unfortunately sometimes they still are, though I suppose that crosses racial lines. Even if the reparations came from the government (instead of individuals) and were given to one race or the other, will that really solve anything? It seems to me that it would just cause more resentment.
Agreed.

I could certainly have understood demanding reparations from slaveholders while they were alive to slaves while they were alive. However, a century-plus years later, would reparations do any good? Of course, there are still minorities living today who have experienced extreme prejudice. I think part of that depends on where you live. However, is there any way to make the past right? It seems like all you can do is try to improve for the future. Reparations might just cause more resentment than it heals.
All that is needed at this stage is to enforce equality for all. There are countless groups and non-profit organizations that are there to help minorities and women and also the disadvantaged regardless of gender and race. Instead of sitting down and whinning about how society is many of them take action and do something with their lives and I take my hat off to them. They do not get on the victim bandwagon.

Here's an article about it Black Reparations (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I really want everybody's input on this. I'm throwing my opinion out there and I would like yours, even if you disagree with me. Obviously not everybody has the same experiences. I'm really just wondering what people think about this.
You got mine. I am all for equal opportunity. I went to the EO representative school in the Army to help those that may have been mistreaded because of their race or gender or other reasons. But I do not agree with programs that in the end bring up division amongst ourselves, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or