Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 AM

152 posts, read 216,823 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
You could look at it this way. Find two brothers .... One got kidnapped and lived out his life on a plantation. The other lived in his native culture. Find their descendants and see where they are.
Or we could use the great example of the two Obama Brothers. They took separate paths at a very early age.

Let's see, one of them ... George Hussein Obama grew up in the beautiful Motherland of Kenya Africa. He's currently unemployed, recently arrested for drug possession, and living a poverty stricken life, in a tiny Kenyan hut.

Now his brother ... Barack, grew up in the wildly racist, evil country of America ... where he's currently .... The President and Leader Of The Free World!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
When everyone is finished debating the concept of reparations, it will be time to start thrashing around the feasibility--even if such a thing was actually to happen.

Yeah, Native Americans and blacks will fight to stand at the head of the line. But the history of Chinese who came here in the 19th century probably qualifies them as well. And if it does, then you can't leave out the Irish. Or the Japanese.

Guess what? There's almost nobody in this country, with the possible exception of the English, who won't qualify for reparations. That's why you can count on it never becoming law.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
no, no and no. if you want reparations, then prove to me you were alive during the time that it happened. until then you dont get anything at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
I sure would hate to see any person have to stay in a country that he did not like. I would suggest that any descendant of slaves that does not want to stay in the United States be given a check for $1 million and sent back to the country that his ancestors were abducted from on the condition that that person never be allowed to return. If they did return to the United States and were caught they would be executed immediately.
GL2

Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I sure would hate to see any person have to stay in a country that he did not like. I would suggest that any descendant of slaves that does not want to stay in the United States be given a check for $1 million and sent back to the country that his ancestors were abducted from on the condition that that person never be allowed to return. If they did return to the United States and were caught they would be executed immediately.
GL2
Wow, extremism.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Just a thought: Slavery and the American Economy.

I also read somewhere that the unpaid labor did about 40billion dollars worth of work. Okay, there were about 4 million slaves that went free because of the Emancipation Proclamation (issued in 1863). Wouldn't have been easier to just have did the ol' 40billion/4million and paid the people the 10k (I don't know what it'd be today, 365K's my guess though) each in gold/whatever the currency was back then?

The US could have done a right back then, right? Let's be real, while the majority were Homesteading (started in 1862) the gov't was subverting back then by incarcerating (or allowing) the emancipated Blacks at an high rate. Throw in the convict leasing program, and high arrests (even if it's unwarranted) were necessary if you wanted to subvert the Emancipation Proclamation.

Who knows? That would have automatically put Blacks on good footing if they had gotten their 10K (that could have been spread on down the family line, maybe). Another thing, this does flash America's foundation some too, because, that Homestead Act supplanted a number of Native Americans in favor of who? It could have done right but enacted laws to the detriment of who??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
When everyone is finished debating the concept of reparations, it will be time to start thrashing around the feasibility--even if such a thing was actually to happen.

Yeah, Native Americans and blacks will fight to stand at the head of the line. But the history of Chinese who came here in the 19th century probably qualifies them as well. And if it does, then you can't leave out the Irish. Or the Japanese.

Guess what? There's almost nobody in this country, with the possible exception of the English, who won't qualify for reparations. That's why you can count on it never becoming law.
It's not going to happen. For argument's sake9the past-present), this will be who would deserve it though:
*Native Americans

*Blacks
*Chinese

*the Irish? (how do you say it in New York? F**k outta here [kidding of course with that], I thought that they already went through repair but they can state the collective case).

Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
GL2
That's a little extreme. Maybe they should just be forced to polka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiClaM8gMto

Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Any group that truly qualified for reparations would be in a socioeconomic position of disrepair relative to others today. If there is no position of disrepair.....there is no need for repair.....hence....no need for reparations.

Too many people have a tunnel vision conscerning what reparations are or means. If the black condition today was equal with that of whites no one would be discussing reparations because nothing would be broken. Even if blacks were not oppressed in this nation the nation should see the long term benefit to GDP and the economy of increased black employment, decreased black poverty, decreased black imprisonment....etc. This would mean increased revenue for white businesses, decreased taxes for white America and the like. Its just a prudent thing to do.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Any group that truly qualified for reparations would be in a socioeconomic position of disrepair relative to others today. If there is no position of disrepair.....there is no need for repair.....hence....no need for reparations.

Too many people have a tunnel vision conscerning what reparations are or means. If the black condition today was equal with that of whites no one would be discussing reparations because nothing would be broken. Even if blacks were not oppressed in this nation the nation should see the long term benefit to GDP and the economy of increased black employment, decreased black poverty, decreased black imprisonment....etc. This would mean increased revenue for white businesses, decreased taxes for white America and the like. Its just a prudent thing to do.
So based on that, I would be okay with giving Native Americans reparations. But not blacks. It seems to me that there is really nothing holding blacks back except their feelings of entitlement, that instead of working hard to obtain the American dream, they sit back complaining about the past and being unhappy about not being white. Plenty of other non-white immigrants have come into the US since then and eventually done just fine by working hard and not caring about the colour of their skin not being white.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Does reparation include a mandatory plane ticket back? I can see how it benefits GDP because we will have less welfare, food stamps, drug problems, less criminals to lockup, etc etc... well, what you think? It swings both ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates