U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times

Advertisements

Sure, can I sue England for the issues my family had in Ireland, when they starved my Great-Great-Grandparents, and threw them off of their land? If not for them, I would be living in Ireland right now, on a beautiful farm outside of Cork. I would love to have that farm back. Let me know when this will happen.

As for reparations in the United States...at some point, it is like, get over it, and move on...same as me wishing for a farm in Ireland, that won't happen, it happened a long time ago, it did not personally happen to me, so I need to just make my life based on what is going on now...not blaming anyone for the fact that I don't have a farm, did not have a childhood in Ireland, and have to deal with the realities of my life, and my choices today. I can't blame anyone for my choices of how my life turned out because I was not brought up in Ireland because English soliders stole my families land from them, and starved them. That was then, in the context of the culture and times then...nothing I can do about it now, and I don't think anyone in England "owes" me anything...they were not respsonsible for those atrocities that happened 150 years ago.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-27-2011 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,560,227 times
Sure. Let's do it. The country is trillions of dollars in debt already. What's another trillion or two?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 AM

8,666 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sure, can I sue England for the issues my family had in Ireland, when they starved my Great-Great-Grandparents, and threw them off of their land? If not for them, I would be living in Ireland right now, on a beautiful farm outside of Cork. I would love to have that farm back. Let me know when this will happen.
Some people formed what is called the IRA. The idea that the Irish simply accepted their fate and "moved on" has never been true. The Irish have fighting with England, and themselves, for the longest. They did not just "move on" as you described:

Opinion | I don't want UK charity - I want reparations

Quote:
As for reparations in the United States...at some point, it is like, get over it, and move on...same as me wishing for a farm in Ireland, that won't happen, it happened a long time ago, it did not personally happen to me, so I need to just make my life based on what is going on now...not blaming anyone for the fact that I don't have a farm, did not have a childhood in Ireland, and have to deal with the realities of my life, and my choices today. I can't blame anyone for my choices of how my life turned out because I was not brought up in Ireland because English soliders stole my families land from them, and starved them. That was then, in the context of the culture and times then...nothing I can do about it now, and I don't think anyone in England "owes" me anything...they were not respsonsible for those atrocities that happened 150 years ago.
Yes.....and whites as the arbiter of that point would have had it been 148 years ago. The point your missing is that whites are not a credible arbiter of when that date should be, given that historically whites have been the root of the oppression....its not likely they will be at the forefront (collectively) for any revival or reconciliation. However, thanks for sharing true conscern.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-27-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM

175 posts, read 203,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Some people formed what is called the IRA. The idea that the Irish simply accepted their fate and "moved on" has never been true. The Irish have fighting with England, and themselves, for the longest. They did not just "move on" as you described:

Yes.....and whites as the arbiter of that point would have had it been 148 years ago. The point your missing is that whites are not a credible arbiter of when that date should be, given that historically whites have been the root of the oppression....its not likely they will be at the forefront (collectively) for any revival or reconciliation. However, thanks for sharing true conscern.
When you are referring to the "White Man" who who that be? I only say that because the definition is going to be different depending on who you talk to. Many Anglo centric people would say that would not include; Jewish people, Italian, Middle Eastern, French, Spanish, Gypsy. It maybe only pure German people or English to others. Many of these groups didn't own slaves so they obviously shouldnt be included. I work with 3 Engineers that are 1/2 Asian, 1/2 White and they all pass for White. They openly identify with both cultures, should they be included too. Should they be excluded from their tax paying dollars being given to a specific group. How about White Hispanics, my brother inlaw is from Mexico and he is as white as cream, is he excluded. You would then have to come up with who would be included...Would you use the "one drop rule", how about the Tiger Woods who obviously don't agree with the one drop thing.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,064,518 times
Default Not again

These threads exist for a single purpose.
To pick at the racial scab that if left alone would have healed by now.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Both sets of my grandparents are from Ireland.

If we can file a joint suite, I am in.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM

175 posts, read 203,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
These threads exist for a single purpose.
To pick at the racial scab that if left alone would have healed by now.
Persoanlly I think is good to have open dialogue, because we are not at the point in our society where it is not an issue. Race is only an issue in the world because people feed it. The sooner we have one mixed race the better...The whole White, Black, Hispanic pride movements just create divisiveness anyway!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
Persoanlly I think is good to have open dialogue, because we are not at the point in our society where it is not an issue. Race is only an issue in the world because people feed it. The sooner we have one mixed race the better...The whole White, Black, Hispanic pride movements just create divisiveness anyway!
I don't want to be "mixed".

Even my dogs are purebreds.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
[quote=Indentured Servant;18053592]Some people formed what is called the IRA. The idea that the Irish simply accepted their fate and "moved on" has never been true. The Irish have fighting with England, and themselves, for the longest. They did not just "move on" as you described:

Right, some people who are stuck in a victim mentality, who think that the world owes them something have not moved on. However, my ancestors moved on, and became very successful in the United States, despite discrimination against Irish workers. They worked for the railroad, and my Great-Great-Grandfather is actually in the picture of the Golden Spike
Golden Spike National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

The same as his decendents, we worked hard, and did not ask for handouts from anyone. If England now decided to hand out reparations, I would pretty much tell them to build a monument to my Great-Great Grandfather, and kiss his Irish A**, because that is what he would want me to do.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM

8,666 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
When you are referring to the "White Man" who who that be? I only say that because the definition is going to be different depending on who you talk to. Many Anglo centric people would say that would not include; Jewish people, Italian, Middle Eastern, French, Spanish, Gypsy. It maybe only pure German people or English to others. Many of these groups didn't own slaves so they obviously shouldnt be included. I work with 3 Engineers that are 1/2 Asian, 1/2 White and they all pass for White. They openly identify with both cultures, should they be included too. Should they be excluded from their tax paying dollars being given to a specific group. How about White Hispanics, my brother inlaw is from Mexico and he is as white as cream, is he excluded. You would then have to come up with who would be included...Would you use the "one drop rule", how about the Tiger Woods who obviously don't agree with the one drop thing.
Few races or groups have demonstrated respected for the humanity of black people. Many Asian countries are very racist. Many Hispanic nations are very racist. Many white nations are very racist. What happens is that as empires dominate the world......there beliefs spread across the world as well. The Western empires have spread a doctrine of black inferiority throughout the globe.

I guess I don't understand really what your last point is. I see no confusion in the defintion of "whites".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or