U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM

41,081 posts, read 43,602,382 times
No;but there are other thgns just as dangerous like smoking pot that makes you dumber;juswt for starts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM

7,047 posts, read 2,666,065 times
I always laugh when I hear about the old geezer in his 80s who smoked a pack a day and is still spry and alive. Well, truth be told, he's one of a hundred who smoked a pack a day for 50 years and is still alive. You don't see the other 99 who are looking up at the wrong side of the grass. I smoked for 40 years and my open heart surgery, plus Carodoid Endo-artorectomy plus 5 other cardiac surgerys were all the direct result of smoking. The chemical in cigarettes cause inflamation of the artery walls and the cholesterol in your blood sticks to the walls causing hardening of the arteries.
It isn't just lung falure and cancer it's heart and arterial problems that are directly attributable to smoking.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,060,675 times
Like so many things that are nowadays deemed unhealthy for you these days, I've come to believe that genetics plays a huge role. Yeah: a pack-day-day smoker who also east bacon everyday for breakfast and gets zero exercise may live to be 90, while the lifelong athlete who never smoked and eats like a rabbit is diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 45 from being around second-hand smoke when he worked as a bouncer in bars in college. And let's not forget dear Mr. Keith RIchards, whose done enough drugs and booze in his life to kill 50 men. Yet, he'll probably live to be 80!
My own cholesterol level is another perfect example: I eat clean 90% of the time, take fish oil--which is supposed to lower LDL--run 15-20 miles a week, yet I can't get my overall cholesterol level below 200.
So..are the ill effects of cigs overrated? Hard to say. How does one define "overrated" when there are so many intangibles, like genetics, involved in determining whether or not a person will be harmed by them. One thing for sure, they sure as hell ain't healthy, so it's prolly best to avoid them if you can. But if you like to smoke, just be advised that you might be hurting your health.
In closing I just wanna say that I think the role that genetics plays in determining one's vulnerability to the harmful effects of a given substance, i.e. food, smoking, drugs, booze, is going to be determined to be more and more significant as the years pass, until finally a type of genetic scan done at birth will be able to determine how safe it is for one to indulge in a given vice.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,041,746 times
are the dangers of smoking cigarettes over done?

If anything, they are understated!!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM

421 posts, read 220,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
It seems to be a politically correct trend to be anti-smoking these days. No doubt there are dangers when smoking cigs but it seems it is blown out of proportion. My aunt was the heaviest smoker that I have ever known and she lived to be in her mid 80s. And a friend of mine has been a heavy smoker for over 40 years(both cigs and the other kind--you know what I mean). He now has some lung problems but it seems to me that his problems show how over blown the anti smoking campain is rather than an example of how bad smoking is. If smoking cigs was as bad as they say he couldn't have smoked all he did all those years and still be alive. Another thing that is somewhat puzzling is for every toxic element in our lives like pollution, medicine, poisons, etc there is point given where it becomes dangerous to our health. But not so with cigs. Obviously 5 cigs a day isn't going to be as dangerous as a pack a day but that point is never brought up. Also, as far as second hand smoke I think it is rediculous. When I was growing up in the 1950s almost everyone smoked and every where one would go the air was full of smoke. On a bus, at home, in restaurants, etc. Everywhere there was a cloud of smoke in the air yet none of my siblings, cousins or anyone else I know has any kind of respitory problems. Now they are talking about third hand smoke whatever that is. Is 5 to 8 cigs a day going to be harmful?
When I was a kid I laid down in the middle of the road to watch the sky.

It wasn't really very sensible, but I didn't die. Still, it hard recommends the action.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 PM

23,340 posts, read 10,170,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No;but there are other thgns just as dangerous like smoking pot that makes you dumber;juswt for starts.
Yeah, thats why I graduated with a 4.0 and a degree. Dumb people ace advanced physics and program digital logic controllers all the time.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,058 posts, read 3,680,970 times
Just because there are plenty of folks who manage to survive despite their own foolishness, it don't mean they were ever doin' the "right thing", or that it was just "harmless"!

BTW, I have a brother only 3 years younger, not long ago diagnosed with COPD and heart disease. So now he has to take some expensive medications just to breath right, and he's none too thrilled about that emergency O2 bottle he needs to keep around, either.... and yet, he still smokes! But even he wouldn't claim that a lifetime of smoking has nothing to do with it....

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM

27,684 posts, read 22,065,877 times
Hmmmm...smoking isn't *good* for you.
And it might very well be very, very bad for you.
So why even go there?

Let's all remember, however, how to interpret the data.
If doing something triples your risk of some disease...and your original risk was 1%...well, that means you are at 3% risk...not some guarantee that you will get it.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 PM

11,111 posts, read 9,045,571 times
I would like to see George Washington or Thomas Jefferson come back from the grave today and spot their first No-Smoking sign in a bar, as they were ready to light up their pipe or cigar, along with a tall glass of ale.

Where am I? Am I in Japan?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM

27,684 posts, read 22,065,877 times
To be fair, they didn't know it was bad for them...or that it was hurting other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates