Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,854,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Smoking is undoubtedly damaging to health.
However, it is totally blown out of proportion (NYC mayor forbids smoking even in city parks!). It became THE scapegoat since America needs a good witch-hunt every day.
I am quite the anti-smoker myself, but I think government has gone too far in banning smoking out of doors. Where is reasonableness and common sense? Restaurants and airplanes, sure, but parks?? (And remember I posted upthread that the dangers of smoking were NOT overdone.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 PM

23,130 posts, read 28,869,286 times
Myself, I roll my own with natural tobacco, won't smoke the name brand cancer sticks you buy at the stores.

But even if everyone turned to rolling their own with natural tobacco, it's too late! Witch-hunting Americans, when they're on a roll, they're unstoppable.

Just look at how they've cornered and tortured sex offenders in this country.
Just like the commie witch-hunt in the 50's, they're fearful there may be a sex offender hiding in someone's closet next door to them.

A registered smoker registry, similar to sex offenders, is on the way! Fasten your seatbelts! It's a matter of time!

Next witch? That's a no-brainer! Overweight people! They've already started it!

And what follows that? Believe me, they'll always find another witch to hunt!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,452,744 times
I would probably be one of the first people to counsel a teen NOT to start or even think of trying a cigarette. I have also been a pretty supportive cheerleader for any friends that have decided to kick the habit. But I would also say that the witch hunt (to quote tijlover!) against smokers in the US has been WAY overdone. Enough already. Get the vigilanties suited up for their next battle against the next, newest greatest threat to humanity as they know it ....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,089,977 times
I think smoking is disgusting. That said, I would support your right to do it(but not at my house). I think is would be wrong to allow it in certain places for instance, public transportation, planes, buses etc., because non smokers don't have much choice about being there. Businesses however, should be able to decide if they are smoking or non smoking and individuals can decide to be there or not. A sin tax on cigarettes is wrong and just takes away freedom. A lot of people are for it, but if the next thing taxed is something they like they will feel differently.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,917,721 times
I am a former smoker (again, hopefully for good this time). I enjoyed smoking and would've continued if 1) I could've afforded to and 2) if I didn't get sick all the time.

But my getting sick "all the time" is just more anecdotal evidence. I know a LOT of smokers - and none of them are sick every 3 weeks with bronchitis. None of them get pneumonia at least once a year. None of them just spent 9 days in the hospital AGAIN.

I KNOW the research is overblown. When I was pregnant with my son, the smoking cessation ads on TV showed a pregnant womb filling with smoke - many, many foolish people believe that carp. My young BIL and SIL included. In 1999, my dh was excused from a Navy smoking cessation class after proving their "math" provided by "scientific data" would have everyone ON THE PLANET dead within 3 years. It's 2011 - obviously that still hasn't happened. In 2002, I got to go to a private doctor, best one in Jax, FL for my last pregnancy because I pointed out in THAT pregnancy smoking cessation class the error in their new "scientific data" - in that case, the nurse giving the class had stated that for every cigarette smoked during pregnancy, an infant would weigh in at 1 ounce less at birth that if the mother hadn't smoked. At which point I pointed out that I'm GLAD I smoked - my first was 8lbs4, my second was 8lbs1 and if I hadn't smoked, I probably would've exploded!

Smoking isn't GOOD for anyone. It smells bad and leaves a sticky residue on things you smoke near. But it isn't a death sentence for everyone either. Frankly, anyone who thinks it is should sue the US Government for not making it illegal, instead of just using it as a money maker.

And by the way, think on this: In the 80s, more than 75% of the US Population smoked and paid those extra taxes. Now less than 15% of the population smokes - while taxes have certainly risen on cigarettes, the "government" isn't doing without those funds - they've just raised taxes on OTHER stuff to make up for the revenue they lose everytime someone quits smoking.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,404,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

And by the way, think on this: In the 80s, more than 75% of the US Population smoked and paid those extra taxes. .
Wow, where did you read that? That almost sounds unbelievable.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Myself, I roll my own with natural tobacco, won't smoke the name brand cancer sticks you buy at the stores.

But even if everyone turned to rolling their own with natural tobacco, it's too late! Witch-hunting Americans, when they're on a roll, they're unstoppable.

Just look at how they've cornered and tortured sex offenders in this country.
Just like the commie witch-hunt in the 50's, they're fearful there may be a sex offender hiding in someone's closet next door to them.

A registered smoker registry, similar to sex offenders, is on the way! Fasten your seatbelts! It's a matter of time!

Next witch? That's a no-brainer! Overweight people! They've already started it!

And what follows that? Believe me, they'll always find another witch to hunt!
I agree with you, but not about the sex offender thing. Why would you have any sympathy for a child molester?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,670,269 times
I worked in a pharmacy for many years and I would fill prescriptions and of course get all information including DOB. Smokers looked about 80 years old, but, were usually only 45 because rarely very rarely is there an 80 year old smoker alive. I did have a customer that had an 80 year old mother that was still alive and smoking, but, that is one customer in 20 years so really that is really poor odds. I have tons of older happy customers that excercise, eat healthy, don't smoke, drink very little, have great outlooks so my take is NOT smoking is key among other things. Smoking though clearly makes you look really bad, sounds bad and I hate to say this because my husband smokes () smokers seem very impatient and grumpy

Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,670,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow, where did you read that? That almost sounds unbelievable.

I would like to see some statistics on that one.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
smokers seem very impatient and grumpy
and they smell really bad. Of course, they don't know that because their sense of smell is not all there.But all of us who don't smoke, we know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates