Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I stand by my solutions that I outlined in my post. Removing babies from their families of origin, may cause a child more problems, than it would solve.
I took a lot of time making a response to that post. This is the first time that you have responded since then and you have not rebutted my arguments with anything more than opinion.

If you remove a child from a poor home and place him/her in a non-poor home, you have solved the problem of poverty. There may or may not be negative consequences. What is the unintended consequence that you see?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Quote:
Why can't you just come out and admit that you think the poor are prone to crime. Have the cojones to admit that's what you really mean.
My point was that there more crime committed among the poor. So when someone makes the statement that criminals are poor it is true most of the time.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
He still should've clarified what he meant. You should not have had to do it for him! Anyhow criminals are not always poor, because there are many wealthy criminals. Just look at the criminals involved in the Enron scandal, as one example. They were wealthy enough, to afford the best legal defense that money can buy. They didn't suddenly become poverty-stricken, just because they committed crimes. Mobsters are also criminals. Are they poor? No way! So his premise that criminals are poor, is nonsense anyhow!
There are wealthy criminals, but most of the wealthy are not and their neighborhoods are safer regardless.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Your post isn't 'truth; it's just your own biased opinion. A lot of people that 'choose government money' over a job, are not employable, if they have no skills. If the welfare poor bother you so much, why not advocate for a program, that will give them the skills, to earn a living in society. That's better than ranting about how much you hate the welfare poor, which accomplishes nothing.
You have 18 years to learn enough skills to support yourself. If you are an able-bodied person of at least dull normal intelligence, over 18 and have no skills, who is responsible? I worked two jobs when I was 18 so that I could pay for an emergency that arose suddenly. It never crossed my mind to get someone else to pay for my life.

Why would it occur to anyone else that a third party is responsible for their bills?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Your post isn't 'truth; it's just your own biased opinion. A lot of people that 'choose government money' over a job, are not employable, if they have no skills. If the welfare poor bother you so much, why not advocate for a program, that will give them the skills, to earn a living in society. That's better than ranting about how much you hate the welfare poor, which accomplishes nothing.
If, you are, an able bodied, person, you are, employable at something. What 'you' are talking, about here, won't work. The, people that want to, work the 'system' don't want to learn, skills so that, they can get a job. Besides, if you are, a single mom, and you have, had 6 kids before, the age of 25 you, can't afford, the day care to, go work at a job. ,,,,,

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default Not as long as the GOP exists

Quote:
For some time now, America has done all it can, to destroy the poor; denying them decent housing, healthcare, access to nutritious foods, a quality education, and making it more and more difficult, for them to improve their lives. In the 60s, the poor were seen as valuable enough to society, to be helped to rise up out of poverty. Do you think that the poor will ever again be considered valuable enough in society, to be truly helped to escape poverty, once and for all?
Not as long as Republicans exist. Showing an utter ignorance of human nature, the GOP thinks that giving the rich MORE will mean that they will help the poor. Of course, 16 years of GOP presidential leadership (Reagan and Bush) has shown that this obviously never happens, yet they persist.

I think the poor must focus on elevating their status while DEMOCRATS are in control, because Dems do far more to help facilitate this. The GOP favors foreigners and foreign labor over the poor in this nation. They favor helping impoverished countries on the other side of the planet if doing so will increase their control of oil. Damn the poor in their own country. They favor illegal immigration to the extent that they can capitalize on the cheap labor to maximize their bottom line.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 3,010 times
Quote:
Why can't you just come out and admit that you think the poor are prone to crime. Have the cojones to admit that's what you really mean.
Sonya, your replies are starting to sound more and more like personal attacks.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically no conutry values the poor now days if you look at who they want as immagrents to immagrate. Too many depednents as it is;all want people who can pay there way and add to society ;not dependents.Simple as that.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Not as long as Republicans exist. Showing an utter ignorance of human nature, the GOP thinks that giving the rich MORE will mean that they will help the poor. Of course, 16 years of GOP presidential leadership (Reagan and Bush) has shown that this obviously never happens, yet they persist.

I think the poor must focus on elevating their status while DEMOCRATS are in control, because Dems do far more to help facilitate this. The GOP favors foreigners and foreign labor over the poor in this nation. They favor helping impoverished countries on the other side of the planet if doing so will increase their control of oil. Damn the poor in their own country. They favor illegal immigration to the extent that they can capitalize on the cheap labor to maximize their bottom line.
Can't the poor vote? Aren't there more poor people than wealthy people? Aren't voting precincts local? Don't churches and the League of Women Voters still run vans on election days? What is the reason for not taking these issues to the polls?

If more people want the solutions that you propose than don't want them, it's legal as long as it is constitutional. How is the government keeping the people down politically?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

Which president passed NAFTA?

Wow, golly gee those bad old republicans in the corporations pockets....you do realize though that in the last election you voted for the candidates that got the the most campaign contributions from companies like Exxon?

Hey, I voted for him too...but I'm not spouting incorrect dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates