Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:32 AM

323 posts, read 788,280 times

Advertisements

Prostitution has long been known by many as the "victimless" crime. While it's true that neither the prostitute or the "John" is considered a victim, the sale of sex is still illegal. Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
First and foremost I think it's immoral. Plus, more often than not along with prostitution comes crime, drugs, etc. It also further spreads STD's, and by having it legal that would just encourage young women to sell their bodies because it's a quicker way to make a living. You would also see an increase in babies being born from this route, which means more children being raised by one parent, or perhaps increased abortions. Sex is a wonderful gift from God that I don't believe is for sale.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
not suprisingly, I do not agree with j760! Government should not tell people what they can and cannot do with their bodies. "Moral" arguments are improper in a governmental system that "makes no laws" regarding religion. . . . making certain practices illegal due to arguments of "morality" should be "illegal" under our constitutional system!
Spreading STD's? More likely to occur in a "non-professional" situation. . . resulting pregnacy? MUCH more likely to occur in a "non-professional" situation. . ."Gift from God?. . . religious based argument that has no place in a country that "makes no laws" regarding religion. . . .

Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I believe that the best way to deal with prostitution is to regulate it and legalize it. Make prostitutes get health checks every month, make them pay taxes like the rest of us. Put these "establishments" into designated areas, away from residential areas and schools etc.
While I don't think it is a good choice to be a prostitute, I also believe it is futile to try to eradicate prostitution. It has been around as long as human beings have been around.
It is not my job or right to force my moral views on the rest of the population.

This only applies as long as the people involved are doing so on their own free will...
There is a lot of sex trafficking going on, that is another issue, I am only talking about consenting adults here.

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Tend to agree with those who think it should be legalized (as long as it is of one's free will) for the same reasons mentioned above. In truth, many women in effect sell their affections for reasons of financial security and enter into marriages and (thus allow their husbands to have sex with them) for reasons other than "love" - are these women prostitutes too? It's silly that two folks who have sex but no money changes hands are not doing anything illegal, but if the man gives the woman money in exchange it's suddenly against the law. What about those women who are seduced by the luxuries and security a wealthy man possesses? Is that not the same thing in many ways? Such activities are a pretty common occurrence. Few wealthy men have problems getting dates.

When it comes to sex, people do things for a lot of different reasons, but certainly women seeking financial security though sex (either within or outside of marriage) is a pretty common tale throughout history and across cultures. Are all these women prostitutes? From a moral perspective, I don't see how it's really all that different at it's core - once religion is left out of it.

Ken

Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Agree with reasons above that it should be legal. If you take internet forums or discussions with friends, you get the feeling many more people are for legalization and think in practical rather than moral terms. In practice, US is a very judgemental and "moral" country - so it will probably not happen for at least another 50 yrs, Nevada being the exception that proves the rule.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM

443 posts, read 564,915 times
I would agree that prostition shouldt be considered a crime IF the women involved were doing it from free will and not because they have no choice. I am sure no little girl states I want to be a hooker when I grow up, so it usually ends up that they are doing it thru force--been sold into sexaully slavery which is common in third world countries--or because they are hooked on drugs or abused as a child and their heads are all screwed up. When all you have to sell is your body, your life is in pretty bad shape, and shame on those who take advantage of that and make money on it.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
First and foremost I think it's immoral.
Sex is natural. Just because you're a prude doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

Quote:
Plus, more often than not along with prostitution comes crime, drugs, etc. It also further spreads STD's,
Legalize it and regulate it then.

Quote:
and by having it legal that would just encourage young women to sell their bodies because it's a quicker way to make a living.
Ah, the old "legalizing it would encourage it" argument. Yeah, we saw a HUGE jump in alcoholics when prohibition was repealed.

Quote:
You would also see an increase in babies being born from this route,
No more than there are now. Legalizing prostitution wouldn't instantly cause women to stop using birth control.

Quote:
which means more children being raised by one parent,
Uh no. See comment above.

Quote:
or perhaps increased abortions.
Again...see comment above.

Quote:
Sex is a wonderful gift from God
God has nothing to do with sex. He's certainly not in the bedroom when I'm banging my boyfriend. You'd think he would have shown up by now, considering how many times I've screamed out "OH GOD!" during sex.

Quote:
that I don't believe is for sale.
Everything is for sale. You just have to find the right price.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Ask yourself another question.
What would these women be doing to earn the same amount of money if there was no prostitution trade?

Do they have training or education to support themselves?

Or if they do have the training for a regular job, is prostitution the easy way compared to a forty hour week and regular hours?

Nope, I don't have the answer. But I do think it should be legal and controlled in some manner. Let's face it....not all men get what they think they want elsewhere. Is it important that they do? Don't know the answer to that one either.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Morality aside, I agree with Katzen and others above, that the better way to deal with prostitution is to regulate and legalize it. Prostitution isn't called the oldest profession on earth for nothing you know! This means some people (men and women) have been selling their sexual services for centuries and will keep doing this no matter what the law says.

By legalization and proper regulation, at least the government will have some control over negative sides of this business, and receive revenue from income tax too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates