U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,296,762 times
Reputation: 2757

Advertisements

There are many sitting in prison for no other reason than the "sin" of being addicted to drugs. This makes little sense to me. It costs the taxpayers a lot of money and does nothing to really combat the overall problem, which is that we have a lot of addicts in this country and inadequate addiction treatment.

I say do not imprison them. I say give them medical help, psychiatric help, medications if they will help and a list of options (as in AA, NA, SMART, LifeRing or any other self help group) and send them on their way. What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Reputation: 11428
Most don't want help until faced with prison.

BTW, no one goes to prison for being an addict.

They go for breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
 
639 posts, read 1,084,033 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Most don't want help until faced with prison.

BTW, no one goes to prison for being an addict.

They go for breaking the law.
Almost all want help.
Being an addict is breaking the law, its ingesting illegal substances.
The majority of people in prison for hard drugs are not dealers but users who often become prostitutes in prison for the dealers in order to get drugs, because drugs are readily available in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,296,762 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Most don't want help until faced with prison.

BTW, no one goes to prison for being an addict.

They go for breaking the law.
Doing crack cocaine *is* breaking the law. No other crime (short of dealing) has to been associated with it. And I only picked on crack cocaine as it's just one of many drugs that will land you in the slammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Reputation: 8606
All non violent offenders should be released from prison and given fines for their offences.

Possibly allow non violent offenders to work jobs, but report to "camps" where they have to spend every night until they can repay their debt to society.

There is 0 reason to incarcerate non violent offenders of any kind. If you haven't caused physical or psychological harm to another person, then there are better ways to deal with you then to lock you up and pay 20,000 dollars a year of tax payer money to keep you locked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:37 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Reputation: 11428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Doing crack cocaine *is* breaking the law. No other crime (short of dealing) has to been associated with it. And I only picked on crack cocaine as it's just one of many drugs that will land you in the slammer.
But, doing it once does not necessary make you addicted.

Even then the charge would possession, not addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,296,762 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
But, doing it once does not necessary make you addicted.

Even then the charge would possession, not addiction.
Pardon me, but your knowledge of this subject matter is very limited. Doing crack one time you can become addicted. And one isn't charged for addiction, rather the act of using an illegal drug. And far too many are sitting in prison right now on drug charges for no good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Reputation: 11428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Pardon me, but your knowledge of this subject matter is very limited. Doing crack one time you can become addicted. And one isn't charged for addiction, rather the act of using an illegal drug. And far too many are sitting in prison right now on drug charges for no good reason.
Unlikely the first time.

And yes, they are in prison for possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,296,762 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Unlikely the first time.

And yes, they are in prison for possession.
Have you ever known anyone who has done crack? I have.

People are thrown in jail for driving while drunk without possession. The same applies to illicit drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Reputation: 11428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
All non violent offenders should be released from prison and given fines for their offences.

Possibly allow non violent offenders to work jobs, but report to "camps" where they have to spend every night until they can repay their debt to society.

There is 0 reason to incarcerate non violent offenders of any kind. If you haven't caused physical or psychological harm to another person, then there are better ways to deal with you then to lock you up and pay 20,000 dollars a year of tax payer money to keep you locked up.
Very few would pass your criteria of not harming anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top