Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM

152 posts, read 216,823 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine and I were having this discussion the other day, and I thought I'd post it here to see the reactions.

What if we automatically sterilized everyone at birth, then offered free "reversals" to everyone ... once they decided they were ready to start a family?

What would the pro's and con's be of such a system, and how do you think it would change the world over time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
My son and I were just discussing this. He is an extreme conservative - I am a moderate liberal (fiscally conservative, very liberal socially) and we actually agreed on this (I think first time ever). Not only would this save huge amounts of money in welfare, food stamps, free lunches, section 8 housing, etc. - it would go a long way in ensuring that children are going to be taken care of properly and also get an education. Every child should have the right to a decent life.

I also see the dangers of letting the state decide who has children.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Yes, I would agree with that if reversals were 100% assured. I think the birth rate would drop dramatically as most of us were products of throwing caution to the wind 'just this once'

Sure, it sounds a tad 'nazi-ish' but then I read about a woman murdering her baby by baking it in the oven and I think that had that woman had to have a surgical procedure to become pregnant, maybe she wouldn't have. I also think that child abuse/murder cases would drop dramatically as well.

Win/win imo.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM

204 posts, read 201,063 times
One of the few positives in this scenario would be, the crippling, or near elimination of the Planned Parenthood organization. However, a mandatory, government enforced, sterilization policy, would undoubtedly set a precedent as the greatest relinquishment of human/civil rights in all of history. It would also open a door for the criminal performance of reversals. Eventually, someone would suggest introducing a strict policy of health background checks, to be followed by the suggestion that, in an attempt to reduce the criminal element in society, a reversal approval process might be useful to screen for cases where there is evidence of genetic criminal tendencies generationally; the obvious next steps in birth regulating.

Christians would view the policy as a direct violation of the God given right to "be fruitful and multiply", found in the book of Genesis.

Teen premarital sex and general promiscuity could increase.

Someone would eventually propose that the sterilization program could be used as an ultimate solution to 'purify the planet', reducing the numbers of handicapped, mentally ill, etc,...

I believe this would be consistent with Hitlerian logic. In short, I concur with a previous post " a nazi idea ".

Last edited by Pennsylvanian1; 03-07-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldabeenacontender View Post
A friend of mine and I were having this discussion the other day, and I thought I'd post it here to see the reactions.

What if we automatically sterilized everyone at birth, then offered free "reversals" to everyone ... once they decided they were ready to start a family?

What would the pro's and con's be of such a system, and how do you think it would change the world over time?
Who is "we"' and who decides who "we" is gonna be? Offering reversals when you are ready for a family, is not going to change the fact that some children will still live in poverty, subsisting on welfare and food stamps. Being financially stable, and having a home for your children has never proved to be a stumbling block for having children before..Who ever would be the "one" who decides if they feel you are ready or not??? It's too much of controll on the rights of individuals to make their own choice about their own lives.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
okay, and what "qualifications" would I need to meet to regain ownership and functionality of my own freaking uterus and ovaries? you can't set an income level b/c

1) it's nearly impossible to be 100% financially secure for a child, and it would take years to be so, increasing the maternal age and risks of chromosomal diseases. plus, there are countless examples of poor people raising stable, wonderful citizens and rich parents raising criminals

2) blue collar workers would have difficulty meeting a high limit. and you can't eradicate blue collar jobs from society.

you also can't set an education level, such as having a college degree, since this would make a college degree as widespread and useless as a high school diploma/GED. plus, there are countless examples of parents w/o degrees raising stable, wonderful citizens, and those w/ degrees raising criminals

it's all well and dandy to propose such a tactic and deem it as a good way to eradicate welfare and bad parenting, but there is no one way to parent, no specific criteria as to what makes a good parent, besides providing love and basic needs, something even poor, uneducated parents can provide.

so I ask again to those that support this idea, what would be the criteria people would have to meet to regain full control of their own reproductive organs?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:

Are you goigto finace the procedures if we agree? Didn't think so.Do you really beleive that would be agreed to when we can't ven do the same to controlunwanted pets in any society?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:

This sounds extremely intrusive and dangerous. No doubt soon you'd have government goons deciding what types of people can and can't be unsterilized. Try maintaining personal freedoms under that type of a precedent.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 AM

201 posts, read 469,977 times
Sorry but you people that think this has some merit are sick. Do we even have a chance anymore, when seemingly sane people start thinking that this may help us. What kind of bizarro country am I living in?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
Sorry but you people that think this has some merit are sick. Do we even have a chance anymore, when seemingly sane people start thinking that this may help us. What kind of bizarro country am I living in?
I dont think there is anything to worry about. It takes an act of congress for an adult women under the age of 25 with less than 2 children already to get a doctor to perform a tubal. People still protest planned parenthood, sex ed in the school system and abortion while the media glamorizes pregnancy and unwed parents and the government supports them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates