U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM

10,509 posts, read 13,998,419 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't know. I have never had a drink. I like the taste of a Pepsi over ice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM

21,622 posts, read 23,760,787 times
I drink strictly for taste. That's why I like my drinks in just the right temperature.
It takes a lot to make me tipsy. I seldom go to that point...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 PM

7,351 posts, read 8,071,109 times
For the taste. My favorite is a full-bodied red wine. I can make a glass last forever - not because I am trying to, but because I take tiny sips and let it sit on my tongue, until it's my turn to talk.

I like the non-alcoholic beers on a hot day, as much as the regular beers.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM

19,349 posts, read 7,548,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
This is really interesting. Thanks everyone for the conversation. It's really interesting to hear your take on this.
Thank you.

It's a good topic.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 PM

8,241 posts, read 13,495,760 times
Hot topic I'd agree.

I'll drop a quote here which describes where I stand on the question as well;

"Men and women drink essentially for the effect produced by alcohol."

Putting aside the different types of drinkers out there... whether it be due to genetics, physiology, etc... alcohol in and of itself needs a lot of work to make it drinkable. There are many different ways to process it in order to obtain the flavor and strength that makes up this libation.

In times of old, beer and wine could only be made so strong as the alcohol itself killed off the ingredients put into it which would establish a fermentation (reproduction) in the first place. Wine could be made to yeild about 17% tops? And beer... about 6%?

With the advent of distilled liquors, the ABV has increased greatly and has even enabled the increase of ABV in wine, such as port wine.

I'm not trying to be an expert here with all this history and terminology... but it's a subject which interests me much.

I don't think you could separate the effect produced by alcohol from the taste. Why would you? That would be like imagining someone snorting up lines of Sweet n' Low... or pounding 40s of Near Beer. It just makes no sense.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:49 PM

23 posts, read 22,783 times
On the rare occasion that I drink, I drink for the taste, like weak drinks with Kahlua in them. I never drink for the buzz...I hate that feeling! But I drank enough when I was younger to make up for what I don't drink now. And another reason I don't drink is that I quit smoking and there are certain behaviors I have cut out of my life, like drinking, going to bars (which I did only very rarely anyhow) and drinking coffee.

There is something about sitting at the bar and having to smoke while you enjoy your drink!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM

11,654 posts, read 6,209,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I drink whisky strictly for taste. Frankly, I wish there was a non alcoholic whisky on the market. (There actually is one, but I could only get it when I lived in Utah.) It's all I'd drink.
Yep - can't beat a good whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I drink strictly for taste. That's why I like my drinks in just the right temperature.
It takes a lot to make me tipsy. I seldom go to that point...
me too, I drink often, hardly get drunk or tipsy though...

Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 AM

7,817 posts, read 4,535,424 times
I rarely ever drink so much as to get a "buzz". My crazy college drinking days are behind me. It's all about the taste.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:08 AM

806 posts, read 1,236,026 times
I LOVE the taste of a ice cold Corona with a slice of orange in it! Actually, I don't enjoy getting drunk so I can only have 2. I think I could drink them all day on a hot weekend, if it didn't give me the buzz.
I also LOVE Flavored Margaritas and Daquiris, virgin.
The Washington Appletini is delicious! I can't drink them cause I don't like the buzz, but if it was able to be made virgin, I would!!!

In high stress times, I do like a buzz!!

I HATE HANGOVERS.... BLAH!!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 AM

2,806 posts, read 4,145,748 times
I do enjoy an occasional glass of chilled, sweet white wine, but I limit myself to 2 because I don't like a heavy buzz OR a hangover. On a hot day, an ice cold quality beer is delicious, and for poolside I love a (weak!) frozen margarita...only one, though, because tequila is serious business, LOL! It's hard to believe that for years I was a bartender and could slam shots all night as well as drink most guys I knew under the table...it was fun at the time, but it got really old eventually, and I started to worry about my liver .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates