U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,123,647 times

Advertisements

I see LOTS of posts where people say that we should be respectful and sensitive to the views of those who are 'against' homosexuals but i rarely see someone say that we should be respectful and sensitive towards the views of racists. Why IS THIS? sexual orientation and race are both UNCHOSEN TRAITS. Neither involves a 'behavior' much less anything that harms anyone else. If someone is 'against' homosexuality than WHOM are they AGAINST? It couldn't be us gay people because we never chose our orientation in the first place... so are they against the forces of nature and/or God? Why is this view acceptable when it comes to sexual orientation but not race? Why are the rights of gays OK to be 'voted' on even though it's unconstitutional to do so, but not the rights of racial minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times
Do gay people hate straight people because they are straight? So how is that the same thing as a white person hating a black person (or vice versa) because they are black?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-07-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,378,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I see LOTS of posts where people say that we should be respectful and sensitive to the views of those who are 'against' homosexuals but i rarely see someone say that we should be respectful and sensitive towards the views of racists. Why IS THIS? sexual orientation and race are both UNCHOSEN TRAITS. Neither involves a 'behavior' much less anything that harms anyone else. If someone is 'against' homosexuality than WHOM are they AGAINST? It couldn't be us gay people because we never chose our orientation in the first place... so are they against the forces of nature and/or God? Why is this view acceptable when it comes to sexual orientation but not race? Why are the rights of gays OK to be 'voted' on even though it's unconstitutional to do so, but not the rights of racial minorities?
I think it's because it is a religious hot-topic right now, and race is not... it used to be, but it's not anymore. Hopefully, one day, we will get to the point where religious zealots will just leave everyone alone and let them live their lives.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
I'm not "respectful" of their views but I do respect their right to have those views and to express their opinions, just like the rest of us. No more, no less.

Happy?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:55 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,932 times
Quote:
Speaking for myself I will say that I do not care if you are homophobe or racist. How you act towards homosexuals and other races is what I see. I am hispanic and I have told people that do have negative views on hispanics that I do not care what they feel about me, just don't get on my way when it comes to reaching my goals in life and my rights as a citizen.

Why is it unconstitutional to vote for the rights of gays? I am not totally sure what you mean and why are you comparing with the rights of racial minoirities.
Expand on that please, take care.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM

146 posts, read 204,018 times
Not to defend the anti gay people. I have no problem with anyone's orientation. But some people. (Especially lesbians) are gay by choice. It's not the same as race. Nowadays many straight women get caught up in the lifestyle not because they are more attracted to women but because at some point in their life they lost respect and trust in men; they see it as a symbol of empowerment; or they simply want to have an active sex life without the risk of trusting a man not to get them pregnant. Not saying all!! But definately many...

Old 04-07-2011, 03:07 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Quote:
I think it's perfectly fine to hate whatever you want.

It doesn't mean you're right, and it doesn't mean you should be respected for it.

I have never seen anyone say we're supposed to be sensitive to the views of racists or "homophobes".

People have their own motivation for being a racist or a homophobe, it's their right to be as ignorant as they want to be, and people are only going to be as ignorant as they allow themselves to be.

People discriminate for various reasons. Lack of a positive or beneficial exposure to a particular group/thing/behavior, reinforcement of negative stereotypes which are based on casual experiences, being indoctrinated by a philosophy, and many other reasons.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano941 View Post
Not to defend the anti gay people. I have no problem with anyone's orientation. But some people. (Especially lesbians) are gay by choice. It's not the same as race. Nowadays many straight women get caught up in the lifestyle not because they are more attracted to women but because at some point in their life they lost respect and trust in men; they see it as a symbol of empowerment; or they simply want to have an active sex life without the risk of trusting a man not to get them pregnant. Not saying all!! But definately many...
Let us say you are right. The point is still one of freedom to choose who you want to love and live with and your right to privacy. With that in mind even if someone chooses his/her sexual partner and not because he or she was born that way they should no problem. Sadly, others like to impose on others how to live life and find reasons to make them look evil in some way or another, take care.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM

146 posts, read 204,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Let us say you are right. The point is still one of freedom to choose who you want to love and live with and your right to privacy. With that in mind even if someone chooses his/her sexual partner and not because he or she was born that way they should no problem. Sadly, others like to impose on others how to live life and find reasons to make them look evil in some way or another, take care.
On that I agree with you totally. Don't get me wrong I'm all for gay rights and see nothing wrong with being gay. I just get tired of people saying it's the same as race. It's become a bit of a pet peeve of mine...

Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,123,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Speaking for myself I will say that I do not care if you are homophobe or racist. How you act towards homosexuals and other races is what I see. I am hispanic and I have told people that do have negative views on hispanics that I do not care what they feel about me, just don't get on my way when it comes to reaching my goals in life and my rights as a citizen.

Why is it unconstitutional to vote for the rights of gays? I am not totally sure what you mean and why are you comparing with the rights of racial minoirities.
Expand on that please, take care.
The constitution grants ALL US citizens equal rights. a POPULAR VOTE by the PEOPLE is NOT CONSTITUTIONAL if it is voting on the rights of others that THEY ENJOY. For example, if a state had a vote to ban a hispanics right to vote, EVEN if the MAJORITY Of the people voted for it, it wouldn't be constitutional. ALL citizens are guaranteed equal protection under the law and that supersedes the will of the majority. we live in a constitutional republic not a democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or