Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What do you mean? In most cases, it's never too late to get back into physical shape. And the same goes for older people learning about current technologies and current culture. It's all free in the public libraries. And adult continuing education courses are very inexpensive.

Honestly, most older people who are out of physical shape and behind on current knowledge due to their own laziness. So many people think that once they have graduated school and are adults, stop exercising as they do all their errands by car and they stop using their brain to learn new things.
Trust me miu...I am a NURSE, and there are far more reasons than laziness for people getting out of shape. You know, I'm going to tell you the same thing I've told my mother, when she has gone off on "Well, it's their own fault they're in that predicament! If they just........" It's pretty damn easy to judge others when you've been blessed with a brain that functions the way you want it to, and blessed with a body that has not betrayed you and fallen apart before its time. Yeah, it's really easy to make blanket statements like that when you've been blessed. Consider yourself fortunate...not everyone is as fortunate as you, and it ISN'T because they're all lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Trust me miu...I am a NURSE, and there are far more reasons than laziness for people getting out of shape. You know, I'm going to tell you the same thing I've told my mother, when she has gone off on "Well, it's their own fault they're in that predicament! If they just........" It's pretty damn easy to judge others when you've been blessed with a brain that functions the way you want it to, and blessed with a body that has not betrayed you and fallen apart before its time. Yeah, it's really easy to make blanket statements like that when you've been blessed. Consider yourself fortunate...not everyone is as fortunate as you, and it ISN'T because they're all lazy.
I don't care if you are a nurse. Most Americans eat very poorly and don't exercise. We drive everywhere and walk very little. It's not bad genes, it's bad lifestyle habits.

There are plenty of stories of adults and older adults that have turned their lives around to become healthy and active people again.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
miu

Here's a great example of an older and overweight person turning their body around late in life... Ernestine Shepherd.

GOSPELCONNOISSEUR.COM® - WE'RE MAKING HISTORY!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you are a nurse. Most Americans eat very poorly and don't exercise. We drive everywhere and walk very little. It's not bad genes, it's bad lifestyle habits.

There are plenty of stories of adults and older adults that have turned their lives around to become healthy and active people again.
Yes by golly, you tell all of those people who are living on rock bottom incomes how they need to start eating more healthy...cut down on those "affordable" carbs and start purchasing more fruits and vegetables, make sure that you tell them to ONLY purchase the leanest (diet) cuts of meat, too. That should allow them to purchase enough food to last approximately 1/2 of the month. Hey, no problem though, if they don't have food, they'll lose weight, right? Let's make sure to guilt those people who are in constant pain, to suck it up and get off their butts, because it's mind over matter. Wow....just wow.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk88 View Post
[SIZE=2]
How can we, as individuals and as a society, combat ageism and the stigmatization of dementia?
What factors should we help people with dementia and their loved ones consider as they try to make decisions about their care and housing?
[/SIZE]
Do you mean old people with dementia or are you talking about them as two different things?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Most of us are baby boomers...we can vote/enact laws en masse and in general we have money, so the youngsters better watch out...

or we will lawyer up and come after them!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes by golly, you tell all of those people who are living on rock bottom incomes how they need to start eating more healthy...cut down on those "affordable" carbs and start purchasing more fruits and vegetables, make sure that you tell them to ONLY purchase the leanest (diet) cuts of meat, too. That should allow them to purchase enough food to last approximately 1/2 of the month. Hey, no problem though, if they don't have food, they'll lose weight, right? Let's make sure to guilt those people who are in constant pain, to suck it up and get off their butts, because it's mind over matter. Wow....just wow.
Wait. First you say that not everyone has good genes. Now you blame older people's poor health on their impoverished lives? Get your story straight.

One can live very healthy on a minimal income. Buy a whole chicken and don't eat the skin. Buy a cheap cut of meat and trim off the fat. And don't eat so much meat and instead eat more vegetables. Plain steamed rice is cheap too. And in the summers, grow your own vegetables in a window box or community garden.

And exercising can be free also. Walking is free. In foul or cold weather, some people walk inside shopping malls. And there are plenty of exercises using household items like chairs.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Wait. First you say that not everyone has good genes. Now you blame older people's poor health on their impoverished lives? Get your story straight.

One can live very healthy on a minimal income. Buy a whole chicken and don't eat the skin. Buy a cheap cut of meat and trim off the fat. And don't eat so much meat and instead eat more vegetables. Plain steamed rice is cheap too. And in the summers, grow your own vegetables in a window box or community garden.

And exercising can be free also. Walking is free. In foul or cold weather, some people walk inside shopping malls. And there are plenty of exercises using household items like chairs.
Why I think you've come up to a solution to the world's health problems. You should market it! Why, you'd be rich!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 7,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you mean old people with dementia or are you talking about them as two different things?
It could be an older adult with dementia, or older adults without dementia as well.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,291 times
IMO a lot of older people get lazy out of depression because our whole society and culture is "ageist". Youth is all the rage.

Dementia is an entirely different thing.

The way to combat it is to try to develop a better attitude towards aging for yourself. That whole man in the mirror thing.

Also reject advertising that promotes youth as the holy grail. It's BS anyway, we ALL get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates