U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM

894 posts, read 703,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
"WE" need to wake up???? 7 BILLION people squeezing into the state of Texas? And you BELIEVE that?
268601 square miles of land in Texas
x
just under 640 acres per square mile
= 171832117.73 acres

Los Angeles (average density: 5,600 per square mile)
at that rate you get about 1.5 billion people in Texas
which leaves a LOT of land left in the world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,243,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I would say then :

1. We may be designed to reproduce biologically but it needs to be in conjunction with great responsibility and if the offspring can be properly cared for in a loving, healthy, committed, financially sound, two-parent environment known as committed marriage --- that decision needs to be made prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and proper precautions taken to prevent pregnancy, if need be . Further, killing of the developing human being (walk in abortion) for the sake of birth control (which is mainly from the practice of irresponsible sexual hedonism representing 95% of all abortions performed)... should not be permitted because it entails no desired responsibility should pregnancy occur, and is only for the sake of using another for a mere copulation --- simular to animal behaviour in the Forest .

2. Its no good if Mexico and Africa have more resources, if they cannot be well applied to peoples lives. This is what makes America a favored place to live...THAT plus opportunites .
I think it is delusional to think that people will only have sex when married and when they want children. It just won't happen and is a ridiculous request to make of people. Maybe we need a method of sterilization that is reversible. There is nothing wrong with aborting an unwanted fetus, either. We are animals, after all. It may sound harsh, but it is reality.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 AM

484 posts, read 348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
x
= 171832117.73 acres

imagine the traffic jams

Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM

1,462 posts, read 543,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
x
= 171832117.73 acres

Yea there is a lot of land, but there is not a lot of water in good times in Texas and right now there is none. The Texas drought now, the 2009 water shortage in Mumbai, the current ones in Mexico City, Israel and Palestine is just the beginning. Just try to put a million people in the great basin of Nevada, the plains of eastern Colorado - impossible - there is no water.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM

894 posts, read 703,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Yea there is a lot of land, but there is not a lot of water in good times in Texas and right now there is none. The Texas drought now, the 2009 water shortage in Mumbai, the current ones in Mexico City, Israel and Palestine is just the beginning. Just try to put a million people in the great basin of Nevada, the plains of eastern Colorado - impossible - there is no water.
you may want to research more about the Ogallala Aquifer.

People like Ted Turner and T. Boone Pickens own much of the land over that massive amount of water
so they can sell it to the rest of Texas and looks like they will get away with a good part of it because of laws established because of oil field mineral rights

Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 AM

308 posts, read 423,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Blame greedy corporations inconsiderate politicians and a clueless populace for allowing fresh water in concentrated areas to become contaminated.

The point is our planet is NOT in danger of over population as some of these ignorant people would have you believe.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM

5,227 posts, read 4,896,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Blame greedy corporations inconsiderate politicians and a clueless populace for allowing fresh water in concentrated areas to become contaminated.

The point is our planet is NOT in danger of over population as some of these ignorant people would have you believe.

You are correct, its not in danger of it, its already overpopulated. Only an arrogant human would say otherwise. No place that we live in a civilized manner even remotely resembles the natural world. In order to feed the relatively small pockets of huge human population we need to take many more times the area we actually live on in order to raise our food. All this displaces everything that belongs there & changes the landscape forever.
We rape the world in every corner for every resource we can snatch up usually changing everyplace we go for the worse forever.

When talking about other animals & population there is a thing called carrying capacity which is the number of critters a certain environment can support in a healthy manner. If the critters need to be fed & watered then the carrying capacity has been maxed out. The same holds true for humans. If our towns & cities cannot provide what is needed for the people who live there, and universally they cant, then by definition that area is overpopulated.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,874,716 times
I honestly have no problem with Amish-type families or highly-intelligent couples having children or continuing to grow.
One type keeps themselves busy growing food and producing goods utilizing hard-labor and low-tech.
The other gives us the things we need to move forward as a civilization.

However, it seems the majority of everyone having children/starting families are rather low-educated, young, and are typically unemployed, or employed in some type of industry that has no unique skill or talent beyond punching some keys or picking up debris all day.

This other thing belongs in the relationships subforum, but one reason I never see myself contributing to this problem is I never even get "a hello" from a woman.
After getting smacked, talked down to, and threatened with a visit from the ultimate co ck-blockers of all, the police, I say those who are so happy getting their "freak on" deserve whatever malice comes their way due to lack of preparation or concern for the rest of the world around them.

Until then, I respectfully say that I've got other means to fulfill those desires without adding extra mouths to the feeding trough.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 AM

1,173 posts, read 855,910 times
In this I think I have to concur with Agent Smith:

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:08 AM

2,914 posts, read 7,128,063 times
Here's a listing of the birth rates by country. The US is 153 of 221 countries with a low birth rate of 13.82 per 1000. The highest is Niger with a rate of 51.6 per 1000. With the exception of Uganda you'll notice that six of the top seven have a common majority religion. Most of rest of the upper half are from the same general area of the world.

Birth rate - Country Comparison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates