U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM

65 posts, read 52,297 times

Advertisements

I work in an assisted living community (i.e. retired) with hundreds of residents. Quite a few of them comment about how jobs are "SO EASY for you kids today" compared to "their time" when they "REALLY worked". (I'm over 50, it's been awhile since I've been a kid) I answer that every job is easy UNTIL you do it, that every job IS hard, just in different ways or that I'm glad that I do my job so well that it LOOKS easy. Are jobs today really easier than years ago or do most people just assume that "their time" was harder? ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 AM

20,940 posts, read 16,389,436 times
It's hard in a different way. 30 years ago, if you knew a computer system (or even just how to type), you were set for decades to come. Now if you know a computer system, you are set for a year or two until you have to learn an entire new system.

We do less manual labor, but the environment is so fast paced that it has it's own toll on us.

Last edited by NJBest; 05-24-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 AM

7,339 posts, read 7,625,015 times
I think "back then" it was more about manual labor. So yes it was harder physically. Now its all about information and know how. There is less labor but you need to know more and constantly learn about new technology or whatever business you are in you need to constantly expand your mind if you want to get anywhere. I wouldnt say its harder or easier, just different and faster paced and also more competitive. If you get laid off when you are 40 years old, good luck in finding a job at the same rate of pay with thousands of college kids coming out of school with their M.B.A's or PHDS that will work for less money.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 AM

11,699 posts, read 26,955,280 times
If you have ever been around a farm household, the answer is obvious. Heck yes the work was harder and often under miserable conditions. I could never keep up with some of the old-timers. Those that survived to tell how hard it was were the toughest of the bunch.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM

11,302 posts, read 9,971,798 times
I sit at a computer all day in an air conditioned office and do the same thing over and over. It's technically easy work, yet REALLY hard to maintain sanity over the long haul in that situation. People just weren't meant to work that way...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 AM

6,968 posts, read 16,497,498 times
Let's look at just one thing, the yard. Once, we let the cows graze and keep it down. They had to be cared for and milked.

Then came the push lawn mower. Time consuming and needed some strenght, but if you had a lot of kids, then no problem.

Then came the power mower. Pull that starter rope, over and over and over 'till it started. And still a lot of walking back and forth.

Then, it was the riding mower.....then, hire a lawn care service and go to the gym while they work.

What has changed is that work needs less and less muscle and energy, but more and more mind work. There is far more boredom. Most people would be better and like the job better if it were less boring. Getting by and keeping a good outlook on life when the job is mind-muddling, is HARD. Not physically, but emotionally and mentally.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,291,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne'ne' View Post
I work in an assisted living community (i.e. retired) with hundreds of residents. Quite a few of them comment about how jobs are "SO EASY for you kids today" compared to "their time" when they "REALLY worked". (I'm over 50, it's been awhile since I've been a kid) I answer that every job is easy UNTIL you do it, that every job IS hard, just in different ways or that I'm glad that I do my job so well that it LOOKS easy. Are jobs today really easier than years ago or do most people just assume that "their time" was harder? ??
I think you get a better answer from those in the assisted living. You probably can ask them how was it harder in those days.

If they mean physically, depending on the job it was probably true. In some ways it may be easier with the computer age. You do not have to go to some warehouse to look for message, documentation, and other stuff. Just look it up in your computer files.

I think it is more demanding now in some ways because with text messaging you are contacted even at luch time and expected to reply right away, take care.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,260,691 times
It's nonsense, kinda like the "Back when I was your age, I walked 7 miles in knee-deep snow to go to school" crap that used to come out of Grandpa's mouth. Don't be fooled, it's no secret that Americans are working harder and have less free time than their parents or grandparents did. Back in their day jobs were plentiful and it was a pretty much cut and dried cruise of straight 40 hours and good pay, so no need for a second job.

The retired folks of today are the baby boomers who grew up spoiled rotten and thrived in an arena where massive corporate greed hadn't taken hold yet. High pay for not a lot of work was the name of the game back then and a nice house,car,boat,toys, etc. was within grasp to anyone who had a pulse and could get out of bed in the morning.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM

894 posts, read 713,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's hard in a different way. 30 years ago, if you knew a computer system (or even just how to type), you were set for decades to come. Now if you know a computer system, you are set for a year or two until you have to learn an entire new system.

We do less manual labor, but the environment is so fast paced that it has it's own toll on us.
You are so correct on this, I think many tech jobs, heck, anything you can do on a computer now have been though such a turn over that it seems to lost alot of it's relevance.

I mentioned in a different thread that people who knew basic, yes, BASIC web design got great paying jobs, but now any teen with a halfway decent computer and an internet connection can do the same amount of work.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 PM

42,616 posts, read 46,420,892 times
Yes ;generally jobs 30 years ago wre much harder and the back breakig type much more common. Office type work really didn't pay much then.It was inductrial work with skills that pay the money for the common man not into management or specialties. The office jobs where handled most by lower paid workers in masive common offices with few conveniences.A cubicle would ahve ben a luxury. There was a program not long gao and many companies had common work ffices with 50-60 people with desk next to each other.Of course labor meant just that with the shovel being a common tool not that long ago.That is what employed masses of people/ labor dependent jobs.Rememebring the diet of fatty food back when i was a kid in mid 50's 'it was still rare to see a obese perosn . In my class pictures there is perhaps one kid that is over weight.Adultas were poretty much the same looking at pictures.

Last edited by texdav; 05-24-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates