Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
In all honesty, yes it is overpayed. And even if it is a good cause, telling adults is not always the solution to bullying. Even if a child were to tell the teacher or parent about a bully, and even if the bully was punished, in most cases the bully wouldn't change his/her ways. They'd try to get revenge and Hirt their victim even more. I say that some kids news to do what my dad did, stand up to them (yes even *gasp* physically fighting back) so they won't bother them anymore. That's how it was for my dad. He was bullied and even if he was a short guy, he ended up beating the crap out of the bullies and they never bothered him again.
This is true or was true when so many people didn't seem to be on the verge of becoming 'antisocial, psychotic sociopaths'.

I'm trying to clear my head--every time I turn on the TV it seems there are discussions on 'the issues'--any and all or anything that would be categorized as entertainment--movie, TV series is also focused on the same issues.

Having taught school--I know that I knew the students that were 'causing problems'--in a saner time. Somehow it was possible to stop some of the problems. For one thing the community values and social mores controlled 'cruelty'. Unacceptable.

Things seem to have become more complicated. 'Freedom of speech' seems to be exploited. Pop culture leads the way.

At this point--if you demonstrate antisocial tendencies, an inclination to cruelty--tormenting others--perhaps you need 'attention'--consequences that cause you to reflect upon your chosen path?

I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Default Is the recent anti-bullying movement overplayed?

Lets find out:

Give me your lunch money or I'll keep posting on your thread...

I guess it isn't a problem after all...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
This is true or was true when so many people didn't seem to be on the verge of becoming 'antisocial, psychotic sociopaths'.

I'm trying to clear my head--every time I turn on the TV it seems there are discussions on 'the issues'--any and all or anything that would be categorized as entertainment--movie, TV series is also focused on the same issues.

Having taught school--I know that I knew the students that were 'causing problems'--in a saner time. Somehow it was possible to stop some of the problems. For one thing the community values and social mores controlled 'cruelty'. Unacceptable.

Things seem to have become more complicated. 'Freedom of speech' seems to be exploited. Pop culture leads the way.

At this point--if you demonstrate antisocial tendencies, an inclination to cruelty--tormenting others--perhaps you need 'attention'--consequences that cause you to reflect upon your chosen path?

I don't know.
yeah, pop culture has exploited free speech, which is probably why some people feel that "political correctness" is needed. I disagree. I think the spread of PC has caused people to be too sensitive to the smallest insult. I think people need to grow thicker skin and not get butthurt over the smallest comment. So I think that people should stand up and defend themselves (even physically), even if it's "politically incorrect."

Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
First of all I will say that I don't condone bullying at all. No one should have to fear for their safety just for being themselves, no matter how different they are.

Still, there is a fine line between disliking but tolerating a behavior and bullying. Obviously, physical abuse is bullying. Vandalizing property is bullying. Is the passive aggressive behavior of completely ignoring the presence of someone bullying? Is referring to someone by a juvenile nickname bullying? Is excluding someone from a private activity bullying? According to some definitions, all of these behaviors can be violations and schools, sports teams, clubs, etc. can be held liable if they don't put a stop to them.

When I was younger and my brother would do something dumb to annoy me like blowing a kazoo in my ear, my parents would tell me to ignore him and he would stop. I have found this to be good advice, as generally people that are seeking my negative attention will give up when they realize they will not get it. After attending a workshop on bullying, I am offended that this advice can get a kid in trouble if they do it at school, as even passively ignoring or refraining from speaking with someone can be interpreted as abuse. I think this is B.S. and takes attention and resources away from situations where true abuse is happening. I know some kids don't get enough attention and act out in order to get attention, however negative it may be. By criminalizing a passive response to this, we are creating an arms race where exceedingly antisocial and or vulgar behavior is required for those individuals to get the negative attention they are seeking.
The Columbine mass slaying has had an effect on the nation's view of bullying. Also, the United States is taking safety to a fault. I think the anti-bullying movement is kind of part of that. Bullying is nothing new. The 1983 movie A Christmas Story has a segment about bullying, bullying in 1940. But these days the idea is to be safe and cautious. I mean, the other day I saw a young kid sitting in a stroller wearing a bicycle helmet. I'm surprised he wasn't wearing a fire suit in case the stroller went up in flame.

Once upon a time no self-respecting kid wore a bicycle helmet, and bullying was an unfortunate fact of life.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Too bad more schools don't get involved in Rachel's Challenge.

Rachel's Challenge - In Memory of Rachel Scott

It removes the focus from "anti-bullying," and trying to define what is bullying and what is not bullying, to a more positive message and method of teaching about treating others with dignity and respect.

Mother Theresa once said not to invite her to an anti-war rally, but to a peace rally. This is along those same lines.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
stand up to them (yes even *gasp* physically fighting back) so they won't bother them anymore. That's how it was for my dad. He was bullied and even if he was a short guy, he ended up beating the crap out of the bullies and they never bothered him again.
There is a lot of truth to this. I stood up to a girl who wasn't really a bully, just a little princess that expended her self-worth by putting others down. Once I stood up to her, I never had a problem with her again. She was actually quite civil and respectful to me after that.

What really scares me about the anti-bullying campaign is that it really gives the bullies insight into how successful they really are. When you show a bunch of adults whining about the bullies from their youth - it just gives the bullies more power.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:49 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Bullying has been around forever, back in the day when I was a kid, I handled it after hours off school property - it wasn't often that happened (mostly when I went to a new school and had to) but then again, kids weren't coming to school armed with guns and knives and the like... things are a lot different these days, more dangerous. I don't know if the movement is overplayed but I think it's worth looking into and those who like to dabble in bullying need to have consequences. Now I'll also add that when things like this happened in school to friends of mine, no one went off and took their own life either. Kids just handled things differently. Maybe parents have something to do with how much they coddle kids these days, not sure.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
"Bullying" (and it's high tech version, "cyber-bullying"). The catchphrase of the moment! Stay tuned for its replacement in a few months.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 AM

152 posts, read 216,823 times
I think the reason so many parents are against some of these "anti-bullying" campaigns is that many of the schools are stepping over the line ... and trying to package their politically correct thoughts, morals and ideas into the programs.

Telling my son that picking on, teasing, or bullying Johnny ... is absolutely fine. But also telling him that it's perfectly normal if Johnny wants to wear a dress, and have sex with other boys ... is not OK.

That's the kind of garbage they're trying to sneak by parents in many of these so called "anti bullying" programs right now. There's a bunch of articles floating around the net that list some of the obvious agendas that are built into these campaigns, and being pushed on our elementary and middle school kids.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
It def is overplayed.
I agree that there should be awareness. I believe that programs on bullying and understanding different people can be helpful, but I also believe that kids really need to learn to stand up for themselves. See, the problem we face is that Jack can bully Tim for weeks, maybe years during grade school. One day, Tim has enough and knocks him out. Guess who the bad guy is? Yep! Tim! In reality is Tim the bad guy? Absolutely not! But we have these insanely hippie parents who do not understand ANY concept on reality. Yes violence is NOT the answer... well, maybe not the FIRST or SECOND, THIRD, or even FORUTH answer. But what happens when you exhaust all of your options? I'm not even saying doing anything CRAZY like hitting with weapons lol!!.. but sometimes all bullies need is a punch across the face... yet, parents are so scared that their (bullies) kids might get hurt!!

It's just a total lose-lose situation.
I don't want your kid harassing my kid!
How DARE your kid hit my kid! So he teased him a little, what's the big deal?!
When the kid being "teased" has had all he/she can take and pulls a knife out and slashes your kid across the face maybe then you will see just "what's the big deal"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates