U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM

9,440 posts, read 7,147,739 times
Default Why is pop culture so superficial?

In today's society, a tremendous variety of popular entertainment is nearly always at our disposal. TV shows, movies, music, magazines, books and other media bombard us like never before in history.

And yet, it seems that 99% of these things are aimed towards the least common denominator in our society. The vast majority of pop culture relies on image, sex or gimmicks these days to sell and there's little depth or substance.

Why do we as a society accept this and what led us down this degenerate path? Why do we act like mediocrity is genius? Where are the true geniuses of today that would put even Shakespeare, Mozart, da Vinci and Plato to shame?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM

8,727 posts, read 5,796,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Why do we as a society accept this and what led us down this degenerate path? Why do we act like mediocrity is genius? Where are the true geniuses of today that would put even Shakespeare, Mozart, da Vinci and Plato to shame?

I would love to know as well!

This is unacceptable!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM

27,335 posts, read 21,023,339 times
I hate to bring this news to you guys, but MOST of the population is made up of morons...the 'lowest common denominator' is actually the majority of people on this planet.
People are dumb. They are vapid. They have little self-control or discipline. They are child-like in their insistence on instant gratification.
They are not going to work for their entertainment, and that includes struggling to understand something beyond "oooh oooh ah ah."

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM

16,344 posts, read 18,921,876 times
low(est) common denominator audience = superficial

Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,522,889 times
We can use the (true) excuse that people are dumb. But what's important is that popculture nonsense sells!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:18 PM

5,550 posts, read 8,315,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I hate to bring this news to you guys, but MOST of the population is made up of morons...the 'lowest common denominator' is actually the majority of people on this planet.
People are dumb. They are vapid. They have little self-control or discipline. They are child-like in their insistence on instant gratification.
They are not going to work for their entertainment, and that includes struggling to understand something beyond "oooh oooh ah ah."
what he said. I would also add that some intelligent people may enjoy vapid pop culture as a way to tune out from the world for a bit. I'm not above reading Us or Star magazine while I get my nails done or sitting in the waiting room. I don't make a habit of it though.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM

8,727 posts, read 5,796,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I hate to bring this news to you guys, but MOST of the population is made up of morons...
Well that's not news to me. lol

As far as music goes...
I recently watched this documentary about the music industry called "Before the Music Dies.."-- it's pretty much spot on.

There was a bill or something passed in '96 that did not limit the amount of radio stations one person/company could own. Since then, Clear Channel bought out thousands and thousands of stations across the United States featuring total crap over and over, instead, using the radio as a way of selling ad space, rather than featuring the GOOD music radio used to provide for us.

bbl...

Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM

27,335 posts, read 21,023,339 times
They can only feature 'good music' if there is any to broadcast.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,936,275 times
Is this a trick question?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:31 PM

608 posts, read 637,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In today's society, a tremendous variety of popular entertainment is nearly always at our disposal. TV shows, movies, music, magazines, books and other media bombard us like never before in history.

And yet, it seems that 99% of these things are aimed towards the least common denominator in our society. The vast majority of pop culture relies on image, sex or gimmicks these days to sell and there's little depth or substance.

Because as a country we are stupid, fat and lazy. More stupid than the other two. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates