Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,910,284 times

Advertisements

I would have to say it is both, but what I have found is that people label themselves on what they wish to be based on the culture that surrounds them. In a predominantly conservative or liberal area a person may label themselves conservative or liberal based on what THEY believe that label means; however, if asked specific questions on the subject and are tested, a lot or surprised to see that they are not as liberal or conservative as they had thought.

Most people are neither all the way conservative or all the way liberal, but our society has only allowed those two options in recent times.

I do believe that there is a genetic predisposition to being conservative or liberal. Studies have shown that true conservatives tend to be more afraid of things, while true liberals tend to not have enough fear.

In a true darwinian society, both groups would probably not make it. The ones predisposed to fear everything including change would probably not be reproducing very much and on the other end the ones scared of nothing would probably get eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM

4,166 posts, read 6,292,055 times
How about kids who start charities at an early age? I hear about this on the news every now and then. Young kids develop a "cause" and go out of their way to raise money for the disadvantaged or kids or adults with major illnesses etc. Something inside these kids pushes them to help others at a very early age.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM

57 posts, read 63,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
How about kids who start charities at an early age? I hear about this on the news every now and then. Young kids develop a "cause" and go out of their way to raise money for the disadvantaged or kids or adults with major illnesses etc. Something inside these kids pushes them to help others at a very early age.

It could also be something outside them doing the pushing, an environmental influence.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 PM

4,166 posts, read 6,292,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic3t View Post
It could also be something outside them doing the pushing, an environmental influence.
Some kids have thoughts about helping others and trying to "save the world" but only a few "act" on their desires and actually start an organization...Most kids are consumed with themselves and their own lives...I agree that kids who have "social awareness" must have parents who pay attention to the "wider world" too. But there might be a few exceptions along the way.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 AM

874 posts, read 1,642,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
There is no liberal or conservative. Those are just labels put on us to get us to buy into one of two ideologies. If you watch Fox, you are conservative, and vote McCain. If you are watch MSNBC, you are liberal, and vote Obama. This ridiculous paradigm is what is ruining this country. If they get us to buy into this lie, they can keep doing what they are doing. Over the last 50 years or so, no one president has been that much different than the other. Sure, some things might be slightly different, but the overall policies never change.

I believe people want to be left alone, allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor, and they will leave others alone. It isn't until we start watching TV and listening to the radio that we get into trouble.
I agree... politics seperate this country. We shouldn't pick a side and hate the other sections of people in other types of politics.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,108,807 times
Liberals are wired a certain way. Conservatives are wired a certain way.

It's not so farfetched.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,786,213 times
Up to this point, there have been a lot of intelligent posts and nobody being nasty or derogatory to anyone else. I wish all CD threads were like this one!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 AM

24,479 posts, read 33,161,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I believe that parents push their agendas onto their kids in most cases. One is good and the other is evil.
I'm glad my parents pushed the good one (conservative).

Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,389,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I'm glad my parents pushed the good one (conservative).
Sure, some do fine with fiction. And some of us prefer non-fiction.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,384,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post

So, being a careing person is neither conservative or liberal, its simply compassion. It would become liberal ONLY if that kid wanted to force all of us to contribute to his/her cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates