Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,679,615 times

Advertisements

Unless they were forcing students to volunteer for a particular party's political campaign, its a good thing. People need to learn at some point that the world is greater than just them and get out there and help people. Mind you, volunteer work isn't always just working at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. Technically, you could teach people how to windsurf and that would be volunteering (of course, if you did it for no pay) :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 AM

45,055 posts, read 60,097,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Unless they were forcing students to volunteer for a particular party's political campaign, its a good thing. People need to learn at some point that the world is greater than just them and get out there and help people. Mind you, volunteer work isn't always just working at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. Technically, you could teach people how to windsurf and that would be volunteering (of course, if you did it for no pay) :P

Funny thing about political campaigns, our students were encouraged to volunteer for them and after they did and the hours were turned in MSDE declared the hours wouldn't count. They withdrew that after a lot of complaints.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:21 AM

26,688 posts, read 41,593,260 times
I would like to ask those who support this how many hours a year they volunteer or better yet when was the last time they volunteered? Church activites don't count.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:34 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,742,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My local high school is making 40 hours of community service a prerequisite to graduation.

Is this pushing a political agenda on the students?

Will this make people a bit less greedy and more compassionate?

Is a school's duty to turn out well rounded citizens or merely educated ones?

What are your thoughts?
The point of "service" is that you do it freely and willingly as a good person who supports and believes in you community. The moment someone makes it a requirement, the purpose is defeated and it becomes servitude.

So rebel and don't do it for the school, do it for the community.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,971,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
40 hours is not much. While I'm sure the students will moan about it, I think it'll be good for them in the long run. More people need to get out there & volunteer, myself included. I'm not sure where the political angle comes from though, I don't consider volunteering political in nature.
I remembered the community service requirement I had to do in high school (Catholic school in the 1990's) and, although I was dead set against the idea originally, I found the experience to be positive one where I got to help individuals. As stated previously, it also enhances the student's resumes so it is a blessing in disguise.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,386,037 times
If I had kids, I would love it if their school had the forethought of trying to make good citizens out of these kids in every possible way. Volunteering 40 hours is hardly going to break these kids' backs. It encourages good actions in the community when they are exposed to something like this. Would I cry foul and say my kids are being abused by the system and have become indentured servants or slaves? No way! Too much spoiling of children is the reason a lot of kids and adults nowadays think the world owes them something, while they refuse to give anything back.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
If I had kids, I would love it if their school had the forethought of trying to make good citizens out of these kids in every possible way. Volunteering 40 hours is hardly going to break these kids' backs. It encourages good actions in the community when they are exposed to something like this. Would I cry foul and say my kids are being abused by the system and have become indentured servants or slaves? No way! Too much spoiling of children is the reason a lot of kids and adults nowadays think the world owes them something, while they refuse to give anything back.
Totally agree with ya there Temptation!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post

Instead of dumping it on the school why wouldn't you as the parent have your kid(s) do the volunteering?

And, again, 40 hours of mandated volunteerism isn't going to enhance anyone's resume. If everyone has to do it it's not an enhancement, Now if the kid continues with it and gets a few hundred hours then it would be an enhancement.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Instead of dumping it on the school why wouldn't you as the parent have your kid(s) do the volunteering?
Many parents don't push their children to volunteer and the teenagers wind up missing out on a valuable way of developing character and resume building skills.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Many parents don't push their children to volunteer and the teenagers wind up missing out on a valuable way of developing character and resume building skills.

Many parents don't teach their kids table manners, to say please and thank you, to use a kleenex or about birth control either.

For the kids of those parents the mandated volunteerism wil leave zero impression. It's just one more check mark to fill in on the graduation requirements.

And I'm sorry, if your kid hasn't developed a positive character by the time I get him at 14 or so nothing I do, or any school required volunteering does, is going to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates