Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

My local high school is making 40 hours of community service a prerequisite to graduation.

Is this pushing a political agenda on the students?

Will this make people a bit less greedy and more compassionate?

Is a school's duty to turn out well rounded citizens or merely educated ones?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Volunteering will not only look good on your resume but may also lead to a job.
The school is doing you a favor actually.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM

253 posts, read 201,775 times
40 hours is not much. While I'm sure the students will moan about it, I think it'll be good for them in the long run. More people need to get out there & volunteer, myself included. I'm not sure where the political angle comes from though, I don't consider volunteering political in nature.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I agree with the above two posts, but my husband objects. He says it's just the town trying to get cheap labor that our taxes are paying for.

I think, since our taxes pay for education, that a bit of reciprocity is not too much to expect. It is easy to go through life with a self-centered attitude.

I sometimes become aware that in my voting I am being entirely self-serving and not necessarily voting for the benefit of the entire country. Spending some time helping others might mitigate that feeling a bit.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Let me answer the OP by asking this question.

If someone goes to school, takes advanced courses, then goes to college and invents a sustainable, clean energy source, have they not contributed to the community?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Volunteering will not only look good on your resume but may also lead to a job.
The school is doing you a favor actually.

But if you're forced to do it it's not volunteering, it's just another mandatory graduation requirement.

MD has had this for 12 or so years. Even after all these years there are always seniors who have to scramble to get their hours the last couple months before graduation. Not to mention that it's become just one more thing that some staff member has to keep track of.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Like what I saw in summer jobs the restrictions on what they can do is so limited because of liabilty its really useless to a large degree.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But if you're forced to do it it's not volunteering, it's just another mandatory graduation requirement.

MD has had this for 12 or so years. Even after all these years there are always seniors who have to scramble to get their hours the last couple months before graduation. Not to mention that it's become just one more thing that some staff member has to keep track of.
And when you get a job based on your work experience from volunteering are you going to look back and say " Damn School! forced us to volunteer! Waaaaa!

Or when you apply for and receive scholarships in college because the committees looked for candidates with community service are you going to mad still that you were forced into it?

You kids need to look at the big picture.

As my mom used to say, " You can't put an old head on young shoulders"!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
It was my understanding that recently it was made a part of the Federal requirement for all schools to have mandatory community service as part of their curriculae.

Most of our local kids groused but did it; our HS students spent one day on the state highway picking up trash, and another day cleaning the park and public buildings. Since "cleaning the park" meant the use of chainsaws and cutting up deadwood, some kids were very enthusiastic. The school made a party of it; hamburgers and hot dogs, ice cream, and cookies in the midafternoon. Like everything else, the kids just shrugged and said, "I'll put it on my college resume". Since most of them have extracurricular activities and go to art shows, drama and speech competitions, Trips to Washington, the state Capitol, and national Honor Society as well as FFA meetings, besides most sport competitions, one more day 'out of class' was not that big a deal to them.

That said, yes, "volunteer" should be volunteer, not forced labor. But truthfully, how many kids even bother to pick up some blowing trash and put it in a trash can, much less organize themselves or offer themselves to any entity to help unless told to by their parents? How many more destroy things or scrawl graffiti or tear down basketball hoops, swings, volleyball nets, in public places "just for fun"? If they learn how much effort it takes to clean something up or keep it attractive, they might actually learn to take pride in themselves and their accomplishments, maybe even their town or community. And that's not a bad thing.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
And when you get a job based on your work experience from volunteering are you going to look back and say " Damn School! forced us to volunteer! Waaaaa!

Or when you apply for and receive scholarships in college because the committees looked for candidates with community service are you going to mad still that you were forced into it?

You kids need to look at the big picture.

As my mom used to say, " You can't put an old head on young shoulders"!

I'm 57.

You make a good point, maybe. You have bought into the propaganda, though.

No one, no one, is going to get any kind of scholarship for a 40 hour or so mandatory volunteering gig. That's like saying a kid will get a scholarship for having fulfilled the mandatory 1/2 credit of PE for graduation.

Now, if a kid has 1000 hours of true volunteer work you'd be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates