Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 AM

42 posts, read 222,128 times

Advertisements

If we can set aside the religious beliefs on this, is our life ours to do with as we wish? One instance where our lives aren't really our own is when we have young children we have brought into the world and therefore are responsible for their care. Are we also responsible for the care of elderly parents? What about if children are grown and parents have already passed on, then do we have the right? What about someone who has terminal cancer or is in a lot of physical pain that cannot be eased?

Non-attacking thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,932,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheYear3000 View Post
If we can set aside the religious beliefs on this, is our life ours to do with as we wish? One instance where our lives aren't really our own is when we have young children we have brought into the world and therefore are responsible for their care. Are we also responsible for the care of elderly parents? What about if children are grown and parents have already passed on, then do we have the right? What about someone who has terminal cancer or is in a lot of physical pain that cannot be eased?

Frankly, it's irrelevant whether or not we have the right to do it. What if we decided that we don't have the right, but somebody did it anyways? How do you punish suicide?

All we can really do is try to convince people that it's not a good idea.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM

61,342 posts, read 86,235,551 times
I think that we should have right to take our own life. I also think that our last will wishes ( consent for DNR) should be respected.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,065,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that we should have right to take our own life. I also think that our last will wishes ( consent for DNR) should be respected.
This sums up how I feel. I also think a "healthy" person has the right to take their own life if they wish to do so. I believe that ones life and body belongs to that one person, and ultimately they have the final decision on matters that pertain to it.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Since there is no law against it; I imagine so. Never heard of a person going to jail that failed.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Since there is no law against it; I imagine so. Never heard of a person going to jail that failed.
There is no law if you... succeed. But if you not, you will be treatened like you are mentally ill.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

My worst fear is that I would be keept alive, agains my will and wishes, and I would be not in condition to end it myself.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,536,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheYear3000 View Post

I believe your life is YOURS so just as anything an individual may own he should have the right to do what he may want to do with it.
Like anything other choices in life we can may good and bad ones. So people can make the same mistake and make a bad choice with suicide, oh well.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM

355 posts, read 614,455 times
I think that we do have a right to commit suicide as much as we have a right to do drugs and abortions. Surely it's not a nice and well accepted thing to do, but, hey, it's your body - probably the only thing you truly own

Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM

4,951 posts, read 10,624,124 times
IMHO, yes. But according to U.S. law, no. As far as religions are concerned: no, if you're Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates