Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:21 AM

10,256 posts, read 10,502,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Smoking cigarettes has only been widespread for just over 100 years, among men. Less than that for women. I think pipe smoking is much older. Clay pipes are commonly found in ancient archaeological sites.
You must've missed that chapter in your 8th grade history class so take a look at the link below. The first tobacco crop was exported to Europe in 1612 and demand quickly grew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacc...rican_Colonies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,041,387 times
It's strange that the fact that the human brain is built with receptors.........just for nicotine and alcohol.

That fact will keep both commodities on the market as well as being best sellers.

"A cigarette is a very efficient and highly engineered drug-delivery system" will ensure the sales volume never completley goes away. Same with Alcohol.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/nicotine

Old 04-11-2018, 08:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,426,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's strange that the fact that the human brain is built with receptors.........just for nicotine and alcohol.

That fact will keep both commodities on the market as well as being best sellers.

"A cigarette is a very efficient and highly engineered drug-delivery system" will ensure the sales volume never completley goes away. Same with Alcohol.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/nicotine
The brain has specific receptors for opioids too, those were all the rage for many years, until Govt cracked down on doctors and pharma companies (think about how much money the pharma companies were bringing in before the tough new laws), None of them complained when Govt killed their cash cow..??

Not to even mention the many wars that have been fought over opium in general!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:01 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,825,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Smoking has high correlation with socioeconomic class. If you’re working class, the odds are much higher that you will smoke. The odds are high that you will have a shorter lifespan. You won’t collect all that Social Security. Or Medicare. Or need subsidized elderly housing. You’ll be less of a burden to society. Puff away. It keeps my taxes lower.

Alcoholism and drugs also shorten your lifespan. Most die early and die poor. Same thing.
Callous. Not the first time one of your posts has driven me to drink.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:19 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,499,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_wifey View Post
Not sure where you're getting that anti-smoking propaganda on TV makes younger generations less likely to smoke. This may be dependent on where in the country you are, but much differently than the poster who can count on one hand how many people he knows that smoke, I couldn't count how many smokers I know if I tried. Lots of them are over 30, but I know plenty of people under 25 who smoke as well.
Must be geographical. I know only two people who still smoke cigarettes, both are in Baltimore.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:34 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,770,852 times
What GeoffD said is a pretty common fact or opinion- not sure which one, personally. All I know is I'm sick of this battle against smoking and drinking. I'd personally of I could bring back the advocacy it had in the 50s. I don't give a damn how anybody feels about it.

As far as dying early; I'm cool with that, lifes been relatively ****ty, anyway.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
What GeoffD said is a pretty common fact or opinion- not sure which one, personally. All I know is I'm sick of this battle against smoking and drinking. I'd personally of I could bring back the advocacy it had in the 50s. I don't give a damn how anybody feels about it.

As far as dying early; I'm cool with that, lifes been relatively ****ty, anyway.
What battle is that? Ive never heard anyone even suggesting new regulations on the access to tobacco or alcohol, walk into any retail store just about anywhere and there are walls of tobacco products in a prime location, anyone over 18 can buy as much as they like 24/7.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,770,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What battle is that? Ive never heard anyone even suggesting new regulations on the access to tobacco or alcohol, walk into any retail store just about anywhere and there are walls of tobacco products in a prime location, anyone over 18 can buy as much as they like 24/7.
I mean all these rampant smoking bans and ordinances, and those Truth morons coming back full tilt, jacking up the prices, making smokers pay more in healthcare and so fourth. So yeah..battle. They might not be able to make it illegal, but it might as well be when you can't even smoke outside- which is the most logical place to smoke that gives swift and efficient smome dispertion.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I mean all these rampant smoking bans and ordinances, and those Truth morons coming back full tilt, jacking up the prices, making smokers pay more in healthcare and so fourth. So yeah..battle. They might not be able to make it illegal, but it might as well be when you can't even smoke outside- which is the most logical place to smoke that gives swift and efficient smome dispertion.
That is whats so odd about the whole thing, like the marijuana legalization effort right now, opponents and Govt love to talk about how potentially dangerous it is, but we know for a fact tobacco is deadly and has ZERO positive uses, yet they do not even consider targeting access to tobacco.

But when opioid drugs started becoming dangerous (overdose and deaths), access to the drugs was the first thing they did, they cracked down hard on doctors and pharmacies, and now its almost impossible to get hard opiates prescribed....this also shows its NOT about the money either, Im sure the pharma companies LOVED it when these pills were flying off the shelves, and yet they were totally fine with Govt coming in and regulating them to death, thus, killing their profits.

So, why didnt they treat opiates like tobacco, slap a sin tax on them and rake in trillions, they have no problems in doing this with tobacco, why not other dangerous products?!!

There is something different going on with tobacco, Im just not sure what that is.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,131,254 times
Interesting link about a healthier replacement to Alcohol, saying that we will all give up Alcohol maybe 10 to 15 years time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8115406.html

As for tobacco, well there is vaping which is lowering the number of smokers already, plus nicotine replacement - just a matter of time before something is invented which creates the exact feeling of smoking without any tobacco.

If brain receptors can be targeted by something synthetic without the need for all the side effects of the Alcohol and Tobacco then they won’t be used anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates