U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM

12,245 posts, read 11,791,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
What are your thoughts on this? I think that forcing a company to display graphic pictures on there packaging is wrong. Yes cigarettes are bad for you they can cause cancer. So is a lot of other things. Some say that the Cigarette Companies have it coming. The lied and added things to their products to addict people to them. Ok. What about chip makers, makers of fast food products and the like? They add sugars, salts, other chemicals to make their product taste better than if it was just natural. The FDA is over stepping a touch on this one.

I think the pictures are disgusting. I have never in all my years of living seen anyone that smokes that looks like that.

If smoking is a bad as they say it is, then why on Earth are cigarettes being allowed to be made???? That makes zero sense.....

I hardly think a picture on a pack is going to really change anyones mind.

Also the government has to much to say about what we as citizens of our country do.

again, if they dont weant you to smoke, then the tobacco companies should be made to close------just sayin.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM

10,391 posts, read 13,748,460 times
People have the right to do what they want. They should be warned that smoking has consequences. Drinking gasoline has consequences too and I won't do that. You put a label on something and tell consumers what could happen to you if you use a given product. After that it is up to them to decide for themselves if they will use the product or not.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM

40,059 posts, read 19,796,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
People have the right to do what they want. They should be warned that smoking has consequences.
...And, because of those consequences, they should not be allowed to smoke in public places--a restriction that is already being enacted all across the country. Given that, let them smoke until their lungs turn all black and crumbly. The government shouldn't be telling anyone not to smoke anyway; all it needs to do is present the risks. As to the individuals, it's their decision entirely, and I support their right to it--so long as I don't have to breathe in their cancerous exhalations.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM

10,062 posts, read 5,429,786 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts on this? I think that forcing a company to display graphic pictures on there packaging is wrong. Yes cigarettes are bad for you they can cause cancer. So is a lot of other things. Some say that the Cigarette Companies have it coming. The lied and added things to their products to addict people to them. Ok. What about chip makers, makers of fast food products and the like? They add sugars, salts, other chemicals to make their product taste better than if it was just natural. The FDA is over stepping a touch on this one.
I saw something similar in Canada many years ago. I was in Victoria, went in to buy smokes, (which, by the way, did not taste the same as the American version of Marlboros), and they had pictures of blackened lungs and such on the packages.

I know this. I don't need this on my pack of smokes. It did not deter me in the slightest. I just put my smokes in their little carrying case and threw the box away. Problem solved.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM

3,334 posts, read 3,300,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
*raising hand* so how did you do it? I actually hate smoking and can't believe I freaking started the mess. Most people are shocked that I do smoke. They say I don't look like the type. :roll eyes: Didn't realize smokers have a certain look. Anyway, I tried the drugs and I got all the nasty side effects. Tried the gum and its like chewing on a cigg and a box of the damn stuff is more than a carton of smokes. So there is cold turkey...and thinking that is the route, just have to build up the courage.
Like you I tried the patch, gum, cold turkey (I never bothered with the drugs as ther side affects concerned me)....nothing worked. When the increased taxes were imposed, I had finally had enough.

I tried the electronic cigarette. I quit real cigarettes within five days. My wife quit two days later. Yeah, you are still getting nicotine, but you are avoiding the other 3,999 chemicals in cigarette smoke. You can also gradually lower your nicotine dose until you are off it all together. The e-cig is also not as an efficient nicotine delivery system as burning tobacco. So, there's that. During my last physical, my doctor said that he can see the definite improvement in my health.

Why it worked for me: because nicotine really isn't my issue; it's the psychological hand-to-mouth thing. Since the e-cig simulates smoking, the psychological element of smoking isn't as big a factor. Vaping, as it is called, is not smoking. So much so, that I am allowed to vape at my desk at work.

Since I quit smoking, my breathing is easier, my sense of taste and smell is back to normal, my house/clothes/car no longer stink, and my blood pressure is back to normal. I did spend a week or so hacking up all the junk that built up in my lungs, so know that you will have to go through that, but it's totally worth it.

If you are interested in trying this out, PM me and I can send you some information.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-25-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 AM

43,861 posts, read 27,426,339 times
I guess next they will force Duncan Donuts to put a fat person on their box.

I blame all the people who really think it is THEIR BUSINESS what other people do. I can't wait until they start whining when all this government control they keep calling for comes back to bite them in the butt.

I'm in my 50's and don't care.....but they are really screwing up their own freedoms.

Last edited by TheViking85; 08-25-2011 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Editing out unneccessarily crude language and smily.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,718,160 times
I think the government needs to stop making so many regulations and rules about what, or what not, people should be doing. What happend to "of the people, for the people, by the people."

Cigarette smoking is bad for you...but if someone chooses to smoke, that is their right. As an ex-smoker I think these graphic ads, on TV and cigarette packs, are ridiculous. No one is going to quit smoking by looking at the cigarette pack. People only quit smoking when THEY ARE READY AND WANT TO QUIT. I'm sick and tired of the government invading my life in ways they were never meant to.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,236,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...And, because of those consequences, they should not be allowed to smoke in public places--so long as I don't have to breathe in their cancerous exhalations.
There is NO proof that smoking cigarettes causes cancer, and even less that "2nd or 3rd hand smoke" causes cancer or other health risks.

Forcing private business owners to regulate who can and can't smoke in their businesses is absurd anf too big brother for me.

We have a TON of uber militant anti-smokers in this area (that are against smoking pollution), and I try and make a deal with them. I will smoke as many cigarettes as I can in a 30 min time frame in an enclosed room with as little ventilation as possible, and they can be in a similar room with car exhaust for the same amount of time, asn after, we will see who fares better. No one has taken me up on it yet. So obviously, if you are complaining about air pollution concerning smokers, you have more important things to rally your cause around that a cigarette.

I know smoking is bad for you, it is MY choice to smoke, I know the risks. But to say that the health hazards of air pollution caused by smoking, and NOT say anything about automobile exhaust is quite frankly ignorant.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,826,593 times
Quote:
I don't know what all the fuss is about...it's not like it's going to make any difference anyways...especially to the addicted smoker.Now-a-days people are more aware of the dangers than they were 40 years ago....so I can't see that many young people wanting to start up an expensive habit....that doesn't even get you high.....To smokers...the packaging isn't going to change a thing anyways.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 AM

645 posts, read 599,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the pictures are disgusting. I have never in all my years of living seen anyone that smokes that looks like that.

If smoking is a bad as they say it is, then why on Earth are cigarettes being allowed to be made???? That makes zero sense.....

I hardly think a picture on a pack is going to really change anyones mind.

Also the government has to much to say about what we as citizens of our country do.

again, if they dont weant you to smoke, then the tobacco companies should be made to close------just sayin.
Our Constitution affords us certain inalienable rights and privileges when we’re born, so we’re born with them. Nobody gives them to us. It was made so that the government and or the majority of the people could not oppress the minority. Moreover, since the government didn’t give us these rights, they could not take them away. This is how our Constitution differs from those in other countries. In other countries, I believe their government gives them the rights, so…

Hence, nobody has to understand why anybody would smoke. If you don’t like people smoking, avoid them. It is possible, trust me, I lived for several decades before Moderator cut: Avoid hyperbole and charged language laws banned smoking in nearly every public and private place.

As a boy, I was frequently given cigarette money, and told to go to the store for the old ladies in the neighborhood. As a reward, I was permitted to keep the change. I never had any interest in smoking. I thought that it stank. By the time I was ten, I knew that cigarette smoking was bad for one’s health. I didn’t need graphic adverts to show me. I knew.

This entire debate really depresses me because of how our Constitution is being treated like a piece of paper. I truly wish that our forefathers would have included, these are your rights, and anybody speaking out against them may be summarily executed.

Second hand smoke is fabricated by those that stood to gain, the propaganda machine duped the public into believing it, and poof! We’re now a country full of prudes, zealots, and selfish people. Whenever I see some sort of debate, proposed law, and the like with charts, graphs, and Ph.Ds begging the public to support a bill/law, I always ask myself, who stands to gain, this is probably unconstitutional, and it’s most likely lies and propaganda.

Short of real crime the likes of murder, rape, and robbery, I can think of a lot of things I don’t like in this country, but I do not support a law that bans them. This country has far too much government, and it really sickens me. The only thing that’s worse are people that have no clue how we’re supposed to be a free constitutional republic and those that cannot deal with other people exercising their liberties simply because they don’t agree with them…

With the person that I've quoted, I cannot get over the proposals. If I had a belief system like this, I’d want to ban swimming with sharks, swimming in the ocean because of dangerous things that live there, and nobody would be permitted to go where there are dangerous wild animals. Nobody would be able to drive cars due to their inherent dangers. People that live in Hurricane Alley, the west coast, and all along our Gulf and East coast would have to move because they’re putting themselves, their families, and emergency responders in danger due to hurricanes, nor’easters, and mud slides as well as expansive forest fires, earthquakes, and tornadoes. Moreover, these same people are drain on our economy because they’re living in dangerous locations, and the entire nation has to bail them out with each new natural disaster. Kids under the age of ten wouldn’t be able to swim because swimming/water/accidental drowning is the number one killer of people 10/12 and under.

“Hey! Don’t do that! It could be hazardous to your health, those around you, and those that come to rescue you! Exercise some common sense man!”

Last edited by TheViking85; 09-02-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates