U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,242,776 times

Advertisements

Do you have the right to happiness?
Fresh water?
An Education? College?
Food?
Life?

Do(Should) these rights change by country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,116,890 times
You have the right to live as an independent and thinking individual, without liviing in fear for your safety. You have the right to pursue happiness, but not the right to attain it.
You do not have the right to food, shelter, or education - but you have the right to choose to seek them, or not.

One thing that many people overlook is that with rights come responsibilities. Just as you have the right to life means that you have the responsibility to ensure that your life not only continues, but does not infringe on anyone else's rights to their life. You are responsible for seeking and finding your own happiness - as long as that process does not infringe on someone else's rights to have their own happiness. You have the right to gain profits from your ideas and labor - but the responsibilities of both your successes and your failures. You are responsible for you - and any choices that you make, as well as any progeny you choose to bring into this world. Otherwise, you have the right to choose whom you will help and support - and whom you will not.

These basic rights have been corrupted badly in most countries, and are being corrupted here on a continuing basis in a rapidly downward-progressing spiral.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM

2,792 posts, read 1,676,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
You have the right to live as an independent and thinking individual, without liviing in fear for your safety. You have the right to pursue happiness, but not the right to attain it.
You do not have the right to food, shelter, or education - but you have the right to choose to seek them, or not.

One thing that many people overlook is that with rights come responsibilities. Just as you have the right to life means that you have the responsibility to ensure that your life not only continues, but does not infringe on anyone else's rights to their life. You are responsible for seeking and finding your own happiness - as long as that process does not infringe on someone else's rights to have their own happiness. You have the right to gain profits from your ideas and labor - but the responsibilities of both your successes and your failures. You are responsible for you - and any choices that you make, as well as any progeny you choose to bring into this world. Otherwise, you have the right to choose whom you will help and support - and whom you will not.

These basic rights have been corrupted badly in most countries, and are being corrupted here on a continuing basis in a rapidly downward-progressing spiral.
Sorry but people do have the right to food, water and shelter. Those are basic things all humans need and to not have is just wrong. That kind of idea that these things are not rights are used in other countries where its citizens live in the worst possible poverty possible. Do you really want our country to go there? You know what having no right to food, shelter and water was called back in the day in the U.S. that's right slavery. I am sure you are okay with homelessness in this country I mean they deserve to live on the streets because they couldn't be responsible according to you even though you have no idea why they are homeless or what might be preventing them from not being homeless. Hate to break it to you but we do not live in a everyone for themselves society no matter how much you may want us to.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Do you have the right to happiness?
Fresh water?
An Education? College?
Food?
Life?

Do(Should) these rights change by country?
We are endowed by our creator with freedom.

Governments give that and take that away.

Our Founders secured these freedoms for us.

As far as the "right" to happiness, that is not guaranteed. The only "right" one has is the pursuit of happiness.

You have a responsibility to yourself to get educated and provide food and clean water to yourself and your family.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 11,811,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Sorry but people do have the right to food, water and shelter. Those are basic things all humans need and to not have is just wrong. That kind of idea that these things are not rights are used in other countries where its citizens live in the worst possible poverty possible. Do you really want our country to go there? You know what having no right to food, shelter and water was called back in the day in the U.S. that's right slavery. I am sure you are okay with homelessness in this country I mean they deserve to live on the streets because they couldn't be responsible according to you even though you have no idea why they are homeless or what might be preventing them from not being homeless. Hate to break it to you but we do not live in a everyone for themselves society no matter how much you may want us to.
So what you are saying is I have no rights to the product of my work? That is what you are saying.

An airplane crash lands on a deserted island and six of the twenty survivors work hard at fishing with long days filled with backbreaking work starting at 4:00 AM and ending well after dark.

The 14 survivors that don't fish are living off the stored food in the airplane but eventually that all runs out. Now they are hongrey and being a democracy and all, and seeing how food is a basic human right, they vote to force the six who have labored for three months to give up their food equally to everyone. To keep all the food for themselves is being greedy and capitalistic.

You don't see a problem with that?

Nobody has any rights to anything my work produces. Zero, nada, none. Got it?

But what I do have is an obligation to take care of those that can not take care of themselves but in the end the choice must be mine to make. For example I have an obligation to care for someone who can not care for themselves. For example someone who has rheumatoid arthritis, severe enough to render them is unable to work, gives to me an obligation to make sure they have food, shelter, medical care and the basic necessities of live they can not provide for themselves. This obligation is not given to me by government or man it is a charge given to me by God which I take very seriously.

But for someone capable but to lazy to work? I owe them nothing.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,425,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
...As far as the "right" to happiness, that is not guaranteed. The only "right" one has is the pursuit of happiness...
At the time it was written, the phrase "...pursuit of happiness..." meant what we would now call a choice of job, as in the following hypothetical dialogue:

Q: What is your pursuit?
A: I am a blacksmith

The notion at the time was that as individuals it is our own choice to become, say, a blacksmith. The Government does not have the right to make that choice (dictate) for us.

At the time that phrase was written, "pursuit of happiness" did not have anything to do with hedonism.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,425,981 times
Quote:
Sorry but people do have the right to food, water and shelter. Those are basic things all humans need and to not have is just wrong. ...
In Econ 101, we learn that there is no such thing as a "need." All that we have are wants and desires.

We don't "need" food; we "want" food.
We don't need water; we want water.
Ditto for shelter and clothing and air and television and computers and automobiles and books and education -- etc etc etc.

The student might then say to the professor "but, without air & food & water one would die."

The professor replies, of course, there is nothing necessary about life. At the end of the day, it really is all about wants and desires.

People want food and water and shelter -- and those wants and desires translate, through the invisible hand and the profit motive, into an optimal allocation of capital.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
I would argue that a good place to start, when exploring the questions posed by the OP would be The Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The declaration, which was adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1948 has spurred a large number of binding Human Rights laws both internationally and locally.

I think the declaration, in great detail, gives both answers and and provides a "road map" to navigate by, as such, most of my opinions regarding inalienable human rights coincide with this document.
  • I believe all people have the right to be born free and as equals.
  • I believe everyone should have the same basic rights, regardless of where they're born, ethnicity, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
  • I believe everyone is entitled to safety and freedom from slavery or unlawful persecution.
  • I believe everyone is entitled to access to basic health care and as an extension of that, a minimum level of good health.
  • I believe everyone has the right to access to food and water.
  • I believe everyone has the right to freedom of thought and expression of thought.

There are obviously more rights I would consider human rights, but I would argue that the list above is the bare minimum that I think everyone should be provided and have access for.

That also means that everyone, including criminals, people who are impaired in one way or another as well as those who might just be plain lazy, has an inalienable right to food, water, health care and freedom of expression.

In addition to the list above, I would also like to specifically mention education. I do think everyone has an equal right to education, the reason I didn't mention it, is that access to and the ability to get an education is slim if the aforementioned conditions are not in place. Since the OP was talking about rights merely by birth, I think the list above is a good representation of the absolute minimum I think everyone is entitled to.

That being said, I still believe the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is the best, current explanation of the we have, of the rights we all have, or should have.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM

4,775 posts, read 7,493,323 times
Rights are an invention of man.

The truth is there are no rights. That's why there's a need for some organization or institution to enforce the so-called "rights."

Old 10-30-2011, 03:28 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times
Quote:
All I can say is "wow." Who do you think GIVES anyone RIGHTS? If you think it is "wrong" that people don't have food, water, or shelter, who are you going to complain to, God?

As I said in the post that was deleted, people have no inherent rights . . . I had added if they did they would come with a warranty or paperwork of some kind . . . that was humor, but also to make a point that obviously no one has inherent rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or