U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times

Advertisements

So me and the wife were talking the other day about how everything has to be politically correct, everyone gets offended at everything, people sue over the littlest things. I stated that it seems that things were better back when the Cold War was going on. We were more of a unified nation. You could say what you wanted, disputes were settled in the parking lot, differences of opinion were met with respect not claims of unconsitutionality.

So I decided to find out about these 2 diff things. Political correctness (as stated in wikipedia) "Widespread use of the term politically correct and its derivatives began when it was adopted as a pejorative term by the political right in the 1990s" which ironically was when the Cold War ended (1991).

What do you all think? Am I just being absurd here in thinking that theres a correlation between the end of the Cold War and the start of our PC nation or is there an actual link?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 PM

I asked a guy at work why theres all of this PC talk going on and why we have sunk so low as a nation. His reply was "All of the liberals and hippies of the 60s have now grown up and theyre running the country now. They wont be happy until all of us old school people are dead". I have to say it makes sense.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:42 PM

17,990 posts, read 17,140,226 times
HEY, I was one of those liberals and hippies!!!!!! I still am a liberal.

I despise political correctness. We can't say Merry Christmas anymore, it has to be happy holidays. And so on. I do have a question--I saw a woman reading a book to a kid in a store a few months ago and (it's a well known book but I can't remember what it was) it referred to gypsies. She left out the word "gypsies." The kid asked what the word was and she sort of hemmed and hawed and just went on reading. So -- *what* is wrong with the word "gypsies"? I know it must be politically incorrect for some reason but will someone please clue me in? Thanks.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:44 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,180,354 times
Shows like All in the Family and the Jeffersons couldn't even be on the air now since they used words that would not be politically correct. A lot of television shows used to give their audiences credit for having a brain and realizing a lot of comments were the television character's point of view. When did some of us become so thin skinned?

People can't even say what is on their minds anymore on any topic without someone becoming offended. It used to be we would ignore people who said things we found offensive instead of automatically suing or angrily demanding their resignation or a public apology. Being "Politically Correct" has waged a war on holidays, word choice, free speech, religion, and a whole host of other facets in American society.

So-called political correctness is bordering on censorship and seems to be another definition for "group think." We are losing our ability to engage in productive, honest discourse. This has led to our politicians adapting to the environment and trying to be everything to everyone. If it’s about respect for individuals as individuals, its called social responsibility. As a society we need to have guidelines but we should be free to express our own opinions and not submit to censorship. If one does or says something that does not fall in line with political correctness, they will be ostracized and demonized.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,527,280 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned
So, wouldn't people get bent out of shape if someone referred to another serviceman/woman with some form of amputation as "gimpy", "stubbs", or "cripple"? That certainly isn't politically correct. And it lacks any sense of decency or respect for members of our military and the injuries they receive while in service. But it is part of the First Amendment, is it not? Free Speech?

Now the question is to be Politically Correct (i.e. being POLITE and RESPECTFUL) or speak uncensored and how you really feel.

A wounded Warrior? A brave Veteran? A National Hero?

Or call him "Lt. Dan" the "Gimp"?

Just like many things in life, we don't care about things until they effect us directly. And when that happens we won't want anything other than people being polite, POLITICALLY CORRECT, towards us.

Yeah, I can, or anyone else can, just "deal with it" when people are being "mean", "hurtful", "big meanies", whatever. But there is CERTAINLY NO GUARANTEE that you or anyone else may act so nonchalant when yourself, or someone you care about, is demeaned or berated in such a way.

Furthermore, I have an even harder time believing that a majority of people want other adults to treat their children without a thought about being Politically Correct. How many teachers would have jobs after telling all the parents, uncensored, how they REALLY felt about their child? Should people who you might believe to be a "negative" influence in society, or the world, have free reign in how they talk to *your* child? Is it okay to tell a child that they aren't smart enough to be what they want to be in life?

For me, it's going to be all or nothing. Not "No PC used until it would offend a serviceman/elder/disabled children/people with whom I happen to be family/to know".

Until everyone everywhere can say EXACTLY what they want with NO FILTER to anyone anywhere and NOT RESORT TO VIOLENCE as a means to an end, then being "Politically Correct" is going to be the way we hold a country as diverse as America together.

Last edited by TheViking85; 11-21-2011 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Cut orphaned quote and modified text slightly to allow it to remain posted.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,510,885 times
I really don't care what PC people think or say. I will say it no matter what. It's the people who succumb to the demands of PC people that are the real wusses. Apologizing afterward or something. I would never.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 PM

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
So, you wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone referred to another serviceman/woman with some form of amputation as "gimpy", "stubbs", or "cripple"? That certainly isn't politically correct. And it lacks any sense of decency or respect for members of our military and the injuries they receive while in service. But it is part of the First Amendment, is it not? Free Speech?

Now the question is to be Politically Correct (i.e. being POLITE and RESPECTFUL) or speak uncensored and how you really feel.

A wounded Warrior? A brave Veteran? A National Hero?

Or call him "Lt. Dan" the "Gimp"?

Just like many things in life, we don't care about things until they effect us directly. And when that happens you won't want anything other than people being polite, POLITICALLY CORRECT, towards you.

Yeah, I can, or anyone else can, just "deal with it" when people are being "mean", "hurtful", "big meanies", whatever. But there is CERTAINLY NO GUARANTEE that you or anyone else may act so nonchalant when yourself, or someone you care about, is demeaned or berated in such a way.

Furthermore, I have an even harder time believing that a majority of people want other adults to treat their children without a thought about being Politically Correct. How many teachers would have jobs after telling all the parents, uncensored, how they REALLY felt about their child? Should people who you might believe to be a "negative" influence in society, or the world, have free reign in how they talk to *your* child? Is it okay to tell a child that they aren't smart enough to be what they want to be in life?

For me, it's going to be all or nothing. Not "No PC used until it would offend a serviceman/elder/disabled children/people with whom I happen to be family/to know".

Until everyone everywhere can say EXACTLY what they want with NO FILTER to anyone anywhere and NOT RESORT TO VIOLENCE as a means to an end, then being "Politically Correct" is going to be the way we hold a country as diverse as America together.
We called them "broke dicks" when I was in the army. and i recall a time when if you said something that offended the other the dispute was settled in the parking lot. You fought for your right to say such things and back them up and the other person fought for their dignity and respect. Now they just sue for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 PM

19,273 posts, read 20,151,367 times
SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario:
Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2010 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School board hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programs

Scenario:
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2010 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and School gets extra funding from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

20010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.

2010 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Guy Fawkes, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a bull ant nest.

1957 - Ants die.

2010- State Police, Star Force, Federal Police & Anti-terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, Feds investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary . Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Political Correctness is the death of this country.

As the OP said, people are scared to speak their thoughts now, one will be sued.

The other thing is the absurd level the government and companies have take sexual harassment to.

I hold a door open for a woman the other day, got a dirty look and was told "I can do that very well on my own"

Manners? people today don't have the foggiest concept of what they are...

A handshake has now become an incomprehensible twisting of fingers and slaps...

Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
So me and the wife were talking the other day about how everything has to be politically correct, everyone gets offended at everything, people sue over the littlest things. I stated that it seems that things were better back when the Cold War was going on. We were more of a unified nation. You could say what you wanted, disputes were settled in the parking lot, differences of opinion were met with respect not claims of unconsitutionality.

So I decided to find out about these 2 diff things. Political correctness (as stated in wikipedia) "Widespread use of the term politically correct and its derivatives began when it was adopted as a pejorative term by the political right in the 1990s" which ironically was when the Cold War ended (1991).

What do you all think? Am I just being absurd here in thinking that theres a correlation between the end of the Cold War and the start of our PC nation or is there an actual link?
I think PC is being way overdone. I read an article a while back, about an elementary school that eliminated gender references. The school, lead by feminists, taught students to refer to each other simply as "friends" and to avoid saying "him" or "her."

Moderator cut: Off Topic/hyperbole

Last edited by TheViking85; 11-21-2011 at 10:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or