Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Rich smart people that I have know have lots of kids--because even they have figured out that family is the most valuable thing in life...Poor folks might not have the money to be as presentable socially- but the smart ones have figured this out also.

Those that are part of the middle class that say "we can't afford a child"- miss out on real wealth. People having children is a positive thing...rich or poor---to have no children---you are forced to bring in more immigrants to keep things afloat. Eventually those with the few or no kids - are gone---so you can pick on the poor for having kids- because it does not matter- eventually you will not exist and they will be living in your house...Kid are insurance!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
(If there is a thread like this then please direct me towards it.)

It seems that regardless of if it is the poor of the 3rd world nations or the poor of the developed world, the worse-off people end up having more kids, on average, than the stable and well-off people that are actually more capable of supporting their child's needs.

Like, you see programs and informercials of people living in crushing poverty and their kids starving to death and it leaves the mind wondering, why create babies you can't afford and you know will suffer? And please don't give me the talk about how they can't afford condoms, they give out condoms for free in many of these countries. Plus, if they think they can't afford condoms then how the heck could they afford supporting a child for decades? Don't blame lack of access to education, it's common-sense.

Even in America, it seems like the biggest idiots have the most kids and then you see all these professionals, successful and smart people with no kids or only one child.
I thought it was rich Catholics who have the highest birth rates. Because of the prohibition on birth control (although these days, a lot of them ignore it), and because they can afford a huge family. There were a few families like that in my neighborhood when I was a kid.

One thing I can't figure out is why Tibetans in India have more kids than they can support. I'm told birth control is available for free in India. But Tibetan families have a bunch of kids, then give some of the boys to monasteries, where they grow up with chronic sexual abuse. In the West, Tibetans use birth control, but not in India, except the youngest generation. What's up with that?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
... why create babies you can't afford and you know will suffer? ...
I think your over thinking the reason why here.

"Hey George, wanna take me out to the movies?"

"Sorry Sally, I'm flat broke."

"Well let's stay home and play video games on the Xbox."

"Sorry Sally, couldn't afford to pay the electric bill this month."

"Well I'm bored. What can we do George? Wait I know let's have Sex!"

"I'm all out of condoms, but what the hell, lets do it".

In short, less entertainment opportunities, and more time on there hands (ie working less) is a recipe for other activities to entertainment purposes. It's really no surprise to me that violence and birth rates of teenagers that play video games are lower than teenagers that don't. When you have nothing but time on your hands, your going to find something to do to fill that time.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
My opinion, which, of coarse means nothing is:

Lack of education is the determining factor. In many cases "poor" is passed on from generation to generation, as the family unit itself is uneducated and unwilling to do anything to improve their lifestyle...so, in order to survive they just keep having more children and continue to work the system.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
This is clearly a topic that can no longer be debated at the level required, thank you for all participants, thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates