U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,359,348 times

Advertisements

When you post your stance, try to be very specific and also post plenty of specific examples related to that.

I think the general state of society right now is in a Paradox at this time and in a very mixed state.

*Definitions for Paradox for what I mean related to this term:
“A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true”
“Exhibiting apparently contradictory characteristics”
“A logical statement or group of logical statements that sort of leads to a contradiction but still can be true”

There is a lot of positive stuff and progress in the general state of society. However, at the same time there is still plenty of corruption and negative stuff happening as well. Some of the negative stuff and corruption prevents more progress and positive stuff from happening.

A lot of people seem to make the most of their lives, and knowing what matters in life/existence etc. But at the same time there are still plenty of people that don’t seem to make the most of their lives and not seeming to know what matters in life/existence. Also, there is plenty of people that seem to be both simultaneously with how they lead their lives.

Certain times, the general state of society seems much more positive and then other times much more negative. So when all of these moments are averaged together for my perception for the general state of society it seems very mixed and like a Paradox in general.

Lately, I try to stay connected to the more positive aspects of society and try to avoid the negative aspects.

Also, 4 to 6 years ago my general perception for this topic was more positive, so it became a bit more negative since that time. I don’t know if this is just something subjective, or if USA society in particular went downhill a bit the past 4 to 6 years.

It seems like someone’s views about this topic can vary based on their exact location (such as city/town, neighborhood, state/province) and also country. But in some ways, it seems like this can be viewed in a universal way as well.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-22-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 PM

919 posts, read 1,864,660 times
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". Technilogically its a great time to live. But humanity has degenerated this past century or so. I talked to an elderly lady about this and she said about the only thing that has improved in her lifetime has been medicine. Everything else has gone down the tube.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". Technilogically its a great time to live. But humanity has degenerated this past century or so. I talked to an elderly lady about this and she said about the only thing that has improved in her lifetime has been medicine. Everything else has gone down the tube.
That quote is a great way to describe the current state of society right now! ("It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.") It definitely feels like a paradox like that.

All the modernity and advanced technology is great for current society.

However, for some reasons there are unfortunately still plenty of people that don’t seem to be resourceful with stuff like that and instead use it in a more negative way. It also seems like some people in particular are trying to bring others down with them.

I don’t agree though that general humanity has degenerated in the past few centuries with plenty of things. Over this time period, humanity became a lot less racist, a lot less sexist, and also a lot less xenophobic. Also more people are middle class/wealthy and less poor compared to a century+ before.

Instead, I think the negative aspects is more related to plenty of people not making enough positive choices in their day to day lives. Plenty of people seem to be spoiled and do not appreciate enough all of the positive things. Also, plenty of people seem a bit too overstimulated and distracted from what matters most in life. There also is a lot of subtle corruption stuff that happens sociologically day to day that can get in the way of someone reaching their full potential.

Even with plenty of people seeming to have those negative things happening, there are still plenty of people that don’t have those negative things happening and instead much more positive stuff upstaging it.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:24 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
People have it easier today than they've ever had it but they don't appreciate it. At least Americans.

We don't even know what real hardship is. And we're not doing much to demand our government get the debt in control to prevent real hardship because we don't understand hardship, we don't even know it, we also don't believe it should be prevented.

We think hardship is the day we lost our iPhone. Or we went out to dinner and our steak wasn't cooked just right.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
People have it easier today than they've ever had it but they don't appreciate it. At least Americans.

We don't even know what real hardship is. And we're not doing much to demand our government get the debt in control to prevent real hardship because we don't understand hardship, we don't even know it, we also don't believe it should be prevented.

We think hardship is the day we lost our iPhone. Or we went out to dinner and our steak wasn't cooked just right.
Yeah, I agree that there is a significant number of people that do not seem to appreciate the positive things enough and not being resourceful enough with the positive stuff (at least in the USA).

I mentioned a similar point in the post above yours:
Quote:
Instead, I think the negative aspects is more related to a significant number of people not making enough positive choices in their day to day lives. Plenty of people seem to be spoiled and do not appreciate enough all of the positive things. Also, plenty of people seem a bit too overstimulated and distracted from what matters most in life. There also is a lot of subtle corruption stuff that happens sociologically day to day that can get in the way of someone reaching their full potential.
It seems like the general state of society and someone’s attitude about it can vary quite a bit between certain countries. So maybe for most countries it is not exactly like the USA with this topic.

However, there are still universal aspects to this topic instead of just varying between different countries and different places.

There are plenty of positive aspects for the state of society, but there should be a bit more intervention in collective consciousness to further reduce and minimize the negative aspects.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,737,865 times
As near as I can tell, the general state of society is abysmal. In material part, this impression arises from the large numbers of people who, while apparently having enough specialized knowledge to obtain and hold down a job, are little more than blithering idiots outside the narrow confines of their professions. The age of the generalist seems to be dead, and perhaps our ability to make wise majority decisions with it.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,365,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

You keep reiterating that we have it easier, but I vehemently disagree with you. If by having it easier, you are referring to more gadgets, cheaper gadgets and and a change in working patterns from more outdoor or manual to indoor and clerical...that's your definition.

The way I see it, society is more fragmented than ever before and far more one track and herd-like than ever before, leaving vast swathes of people cast aside or on the outside looking in. Popular culture is at an all time low, craving for material wealth and personal possessions is at an all time high. While we have made advances in medicine and rights for certain groups, we have taken many steps backward in other ways and have become grossly superficial.

The entire world is becoming very corporate. Everything is a product or a marketing ploy. Corporations have the power to influence politics and our politicians more than you or I by their unelected lobbyists.

Many people no longer have the support systems they did decades ago, through families and friends or communities that cared for their well being. You're very much on your own in this society...at least that's how it feels. Forging new friendships has become a lot more difficult. As for relationships, people even do background checks on prospective dates.

There's a lot of lonely and miserable people out there who are lost. On the surface it seems like we have it better, but when you start to read between the lines, we really don't...but SOME do. It seems like you're either in or out...be a sheep or be an outcast, while drones of the increasingly manufactured world pass you by.

Last edited by dragonborn; 01-29-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,115,151 times
We have become 'smarter' - even elementary-school-age kids have iPhones and know how to use them! - and 'dumber' - try to discuss basic economics or physics or any of the sciences, especially biological, and you are met with either blank stares and a change of subject, or someone who wants to argue from a religiously- or emotionally-based standpoint, not a factual or practical one.

We have the ability to have Distance Learning classes from across the state or across the country - and people still think that watching "Girls Gone Wild!" or the entire 2nd season of "Survivor!" on their home computer is the height of educational and technological achievement.

We have become less reasonable and more emotional. This shows in not only how we define our 'wants' as needs, as well as in how we spend our money. There is no more scientific "if/then" rational understanding of cause-and-effect, only an "I want it NOW! I don't care what it costs!" mentality.

We have an 'ADD society' - we depend on a 30-second sound byte for the basis of our knowledge and hence our opinions, and 'get bored' when someone goes into a rational explanation. Silly - we don't want a satisfying, reasonable 7-course meal of rationale - we want a McDinner of an explanation.

Most people don't understand where food comes from, how it is processed, what it has in it, or what it doesn't - as long as it's on the "99-Cent Menu" it must be ok. They don't know where their milk comes from, or eggs, or meat, or vegetables, and don't care - as long as it's cheap and doused in salt and sugars so that it tastes good.

Most people in America don't know what real poverty is - they have roofs that don't leak, solid walls with real glass windows, several pairs of shoes, a week's worth of underwear, and many outfits from which to choose. They have electricity and running water - hot and cold taps - and soap. They don't have to walk anywhere, much less 10 miles a day for work - they have either cars or mass transportation. They have technological devices in even the poorest homes - plasma TVs, cell phones, Wiis and X-Boxes. They have medical and even dental care, and eat more than one meal a day, with meat every day if they want it. If the "poor" in this country were ever truly "poor" they would revolt in fury and rage, not sit quietly and starve to death, or change their ways or locale to improve their lot in life - because they have been trained to believe that they deserve these things simply by their existence.

All in all, the vast advances in technology and lifestyles are overshadowed by the increasing ignorance and sloth, where "truthiness" and emotion trump facts and reason, and where personal responsibility and self-discipline are considered quaint and useless theories and customs, long past their time or profitable implementation. They want what they have been told they deserve - without any effort on their part. They want a government that promises them that every security, every playtoy, and every desire that they have will be fulfilled... at someone else's expense. They demand the right to tell everyone else how to live and what they should and should not have - but angrily protest when someone tells them the same. They say they want to be left alone to do their own thing and run their own lives - and then get angry when they are ignored or have to do something for themselves.

Of course that's just MHO. Pardon me, I have to step out here - I have to go butcher some fat roosters and can some meat.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
You keep reiterating that we have it easier, but I vehemently disagree with you. If by having it easier, you are referring to more gadgets, cheaper gadgets and and a change in working patterns from more outdoor or manual to indoor and clerical...that's your definition.

The way I see it, society is more fragmented than ever before and far more one track and herd-like than ever before, leaving vast swathes of people cast aside or on the outside looking in. Popular culture is at an all time low, craving for material wealth and personal possessions is at an all time high. While we have made advances in medicine and rights for certain groups, we have taken many steps backward in other ways and have become grossly superficial.

The entire world is becoming very corporate. Everything is a product or a marketing ploy. Corporations have the power to influence politics and our politicians more than you or I by their unelected lobbyists.

Many people no longer have the support systems they did decades ago, through families and friends or communities that cared for their well being. You're very much on your own in this society...at least that's how it feels. Forging new friendships has become a lot more difficult. As for relationships, people even do background checks on prospective dates.

There's a lot of lonely and miserable people out there who are lost. On the surface it seems like we have it better, but when you start to read between the lines, we really don't...but SOME do. It seems like you're either in or out...be a sheep or be an outcast, while drones of the increasingly manufactured world pass you by.
I would rep you again if I could. Excellent post that expresses so much of what I feel increasingly on a daily basis.

To me it seems that people are more and more giving up their own minds for collective group-think. Even when I was younger there were still people standing up for others when an injustice was handed out. Doing the right thing seems to have been cast by the wayside as I see more and more people keeping their eyes cast down and their mouths shut when someone is obviously being done wrong (I see this in workplace situations more and more).

I also think that overpopulation isn't helping. The economy is rivaling the great depression at this point and people are going into animal mode, having to fight each other for basic living necessities.

We are also being regulated to death, spied on, censored, inhibited in our personal growth etc etc etc. There are more people on medication for depression and other social anxiety issues then ever before.

So no....from my vantage point (as a graduated culinary student who has YET to find a position that pays the 12-15 dollar starting salary the college assured me was typical and is starting to get seriously depressed knowing I have student loans to pay...heck just trying to get a job at ALL...and having to compete with illegals to get THAT job) of the world isn't exactly a positive one at the moment.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,959,489 times
I suppose a question worth asking is: is this thread for Americans only or is it about the state of the world as a whole? There is a lot happening in the world right now, and the state of things largely depends on who you are and where you are.

Overall, I feel very happy being alive just now. Short of sudden, unexpected war, plague, and devestation, this feeling is not likely to change.

Millions of people's living standards are on the rise, not just in terms of an emergent middle classes in developing countries, but in terms of millions no longer starving. There is far more political freedom today than fifty years ago, and democracy has spread to more countries than ever before. Diseases are being eradicated, healthcare is improving, lifespans are getting longer. Societies are opening up and communicating with each other more than ever before, and new generations are changing many cultural norms for the better.

Many people look back on half-century ago in light of the economic boom that affected much of the post-war first world. This is a very narrow view in my opinion. For every person living the good life in the west, there were more people suffering elsewhere. The middle of the twentieth century was a time that included many genocides, bloody revolutions, wars, and famines; far more in all of these categories than today.

Are there very serious concerns in this world? Absolutely, ''Much better than fifty years ago'' is still a world away from perfect. We're facing some brand new challenges, like climate change, increasingly limited resources, and the price of easy living in the tax obesity and sedentary living on our bodies, and war, famine, and disease are far from dead.

My mood could be classified as optimistic, overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates