U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM
 
4,728 posts, read 4,411,503 times
Reputation: 2337
Default The State of Reality and What Some People Think It Means. What Do You Think the State of Reality Means?

I think the state of reality is a very relative term in plenty of ways.

This is because there are many different realities part of one universal reality.

Different people can create very different realities from other people in plenty of ways, with many different life paths, and many different types of perception for the state of existence.

However, some people think the idea of reality is very one-sided without much if any variation.

So some people may look at somebody else and think they are out of touch with reality, while that may not be true for that other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
11,124 posts, read 8,864,306 times
Reputation: 9979
Our brain creates our reality by receiving sensory input, comparing it with past experience and assembling it into a model of reality as our brains interpret it. The survival needs of organisms over many millions of years of evolution have assured that model is very accurate reflection of what really is, but it's still just a model and is easily fooled, manipulated, disrupted, altered and extinguished.

On a group scale, "Reality" is really only the majority consensus of a group of model realities (what the majority believes is real and what isn't) and not actual reality itself.

It's very humbling to think our whole universe as we know it is built on such a fragile premise...but we really have no other choice, since we can't separate "us" from our brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
 
4,728 posts, read 4,411,503 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Our brain creates our reality by receiving sensory input, comparing it with past experience and assembling it into a model of reality as our brains interpret it. The survival needs of organisms over many millions of years of evolution have assured that model is very accurate reflection of what really is, but it's still just a model and is easily fooled, manipulated, disrupted, altered and extinguished.

On a group scale, "Reality" is really only the majority consensus of a group of model realities (what the majority believes is real and what isn't) and not actual reality itself.

It's very humbling to think our whole universe as we know it is built on such a fragile premise...but we really have no other choice, since we can't separate "us" from our brains.
I agree with everything you said! It seems similar to the point I was trying to make about the state of reality.

There are many different realities part of the same universal reality.

Also, the source of where this sense of reality comes from is similar to what you described.

There are more obvious easier to figure out accurate reflections about it and also other aspects that are much more mysterious and obscure about it.

Yeah, it can still be fooled, manipulated, disrupted, and altered.

There is plenty of variation that can happen for how someone interprets reality and many dynamics involved that collaterally influences all aspects of the state of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 15,748,802 times
Reputation: 11862
We cannot separate Reality from our brains since all we experience and all we know by inference and observation is gained through the senses, which pass through the brain. That begs the question, if there is an objective reality, who's reality is it? Do conscious minds create reality, rather than the other way around, which is what science tells us? Maybe we are not merely observing something remote and separate from us, but what we observe is really a consequence of our existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
 
4,728 posts, read 4,411,503 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We cannot separate Reality from our brains since all we experience and all we know by inference and observation is gained through the senses, which pass through the brain. That begs the question, if there is an objective reality, who's reality is it? Do conscious minds create reality, rather than the other way around, which is what science tells us? Maybe we are not merely observing something remote and separate from us, but what we observe is really a consequence of our existence.
The concept/state of reality is a very serious and important subject that affects every person’s life. I think almost everyone wants to think they are right with their perception of reality for everything since their perception of it guides them and their lives so much.

There might even be some competition between people sometimes for who is the most right with how they perceive it in their day to day lives and what is objective reality for most people.

I think there are many different realities that come and connect together to create a universal reality. It does come from conscious minds but probably from some other things too.

Also, certain things about the concept/state of reality are easier, obvious, and more one sided to figure out while other things is much more mysterious, obscure, and much less one sided about it.

Yeah, what we observe is the consequence of our existence in plenty of ways but flaws/disruption/manipulation in observation still happens for plenty of people sometimes. So this can mislead people about some things in the consequence of existence plenty of times too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Southwest Desert
4,031 posts, read 2,460,045 times
Reputation: 3214
I get a kick out of politicians and "talking heads" who like to say: "The truth of the matter is..." What truth? Their so-called "truth?" And their "side" and point of view? Most of the time they are just expressing their opinions!..."In reality" is another popular phrase too. But the question is the same. "Whose reality?"...I think we all tend to make assumptions about the people around us or people we see on TV etc...Are our assumptions true or not? Are our beliefs and assumptions about ourselves even true?...What is the definition of "true?" Where can we go to do a "test-check" to see if our beliefs and views and our definition of reality is 100 percent accurate? (And not "faulty?")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Southwest Desert
4,031 posts, read 2,460,045 times
Reputation: 3214
Years ago I was having breakfast at a hotel. (Sitting outside under their covered patio.) A man sitting at the table next to me picked up his newspaper and spread it open wide in front of him...All of a sudden a bird swooped down and started "pecking" at the man's danish on his plate. The man couldn't see the bird due to his newspaper. I wasn't sure what to do!..The bird was having a "jolly old time" and kept "pecking away" at the danish. I decided I should "say something." But the man rumpled and folded his paper and put it down before I could take any action. The "rumpling noise" must have alerted the bird that it was time to fly away and move on...Obviously the man never saw the bird. He picked-up his fork and started eating the danish and drinking his coffee as if everything was "perfectly fine" and normal...This incident stuck in my mind for a long time. What would have happened if I tried to tell the man that a bird had been "pecking away" at his danish? Would he believe me?...What would happen if the man and I were both called to testify about the morning and "supposed incident" in court? The man might insist that I was a "whacho" who was making up stories about the bird. And the judge or jury would take "his word" over mine. (Because my "version" seemed far-fetched!)...Anyway I know what I saw! There was definitely a bird on his table that morning. But the man had no awareness of the bird because his newspaper blocked his view. Obviously the birds in the area were used to being "tricky" and quiet. (At least one bird was anyway.)...The man and I had two different experiences within the same space that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,334 posts, read 14,746,962 times
Reputation: 8385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I think the state of reality is a very relative term in plenty of ways.

This is because there are many different realities part of one universal reality.

Different people can create very different realities from other people in plenty of ways, with many different life paths, and many different types of perception for the state of existence.

However, some people think the idea of reality is very one-sided without much if any variation.

So some people may look at somebody else and think they are out of touch with reality, while that may not be true for that other person.
Yes, its really subjective which is what makes life interesting. Everyone has their own perceptions and state of reality. I try to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyles because no two people think alike.

Politics is separate, they are basically all liars, so i would never rely on anything in the news to be "reality".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
22,669 posts, read 9,644,930 times
Reputation: 7115
Each individual makes their own reality, on a daily basis. While some actions and situations are beyond our control, each persons reality is all their own.

Get 10 people in the room, and watch a movie. If you ask them what they thought of it, you will get 10 different answers.

While the movie was the same, the reality based on each persons own perception of that reality would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top