U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 PM

771 posts, read 1,048,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
Not to me.

You have coasts, mountains, rivers and lakes, volcanoes and canyons, deserts and forests, and almost everything else inbetween.

Alaska

Colorado

Kentucky

Missouri

New Mexico

Nebraska

New Jersey

Vermont

Washington (State)

Wisconsin

all of those pics are from these boards (except the Missouri ones), and it's only a few states. its not just natural beauty - we have icons like the Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, and a HOST of others i can't even begin to list off... our cities are varied and our culture is as well. i highly suggest you take a road trip and explore, or even read up on each of the states and see what each has to offer. perhaps once you start looking at the states as more like countries unto themselves you'll see just how much the US has to offer. there's a LOT of beauty here... one only has to find it.
Haha I'm not gonna lie, some of your pics aren't very good, but it shows the diversity this countr has. Compare a city like Santa Fe to Chicago. LA to Boston. NYC to Las Vegas. Savannah to Seattle, it could keep going and going and going if I wanted to. We have some of the most diverse and beautiful cities in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM

443 posts, read 743,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Haha I'm not gonna lie, some of your pics aren't very good, but it shows the diversity this countr has. Compare a city like Santa Fe to Chicago. LA to Boston. NYC to Las Vegas. Savannah to Seattle, it could keep going and going and going if I wanted to. We have some of the most diverse and beautiful cities in the world.
exactly. i ignored the general "tourist" places like NYC/LA/New Orleans just to show that some places are different. just because its a lot of farmland doesn't necessarily make it bland. if you like farmland its brilliant, but if you like the "bright lights in the big city" experience we have that as well. like you say, the list could go on and on, and after all, the places all have something good in them, else noone would live there right? i disagree completely with the premise that the US is bland and boring...

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM

347 posts, read 689,318 times
If your entire criteria is centuries old architecture, then ok.. I will give you that. Otherwise... you are so off base its astonishing. I'm with Chikid... perhaps a visit outside suburbia would do you good. Arizona alone has more natural and cultural diversity than most countries in Europe.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM

5,841 posts, read 6,919,012 times
No country I can think of has the diversity of the USA. We have big cities, we have cold northern forest, we have the Rocky mountains, the Appalacian mountains, Brooks range and Cascade ranges just to name a few. All these mountain ranges are very different from one another. We have the open great plains, we have the cold and deep great Lakes, we have the vast swampy wetlands of Fl and La, we have tropical Hawaii and artic Alaska, we have vast deserts in the southwest. Do I need to go on?? How many nations have this kind of diversity of enviroment, or the kind of scenic beauty we have? We also have interesting old buildings, maybe not like more ancient places in Europe and Asia but we have it. Ever been to Boston?? Charleston??, ever go downtown in an older city like Cleveland or Chicago??? The idea that the USA has become one big strip mall surrounded by subdivisions is a huge generalization. Ive been to Europe and loved seeing the history and culture there, but I dont see Europe as being superior to the US as far as which is a more interesting place. This is one of the most interesting nations on earth.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,607,596 times
I agree suburbia and the food is pretty boring, but as others have said...there is so much more if you get out there and look around.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 PM
JJG

12,896 posts, read 18,406,719 times
Well, THIS went well.....

/sarcasm.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
i remember when i was young. i thought life was going to be much better in france.
5 years later. not so. sweetest words i ever heard by us customs, welcome home huck.
btw when u r a lil older u will learn that a bit of boredom is great bek right behind it is another sunamie.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've never left the U.S. in my life and I'm 27 years old. Hopefully someday I can visit other countries. I just watched tons of tour videos of other countries across the world, and I beg to ask the following: Is it just me, or does the U.S. seem very bland and boring compared to numerous other countries?

Other countries, such as France, Italy, China, Egypt, etc, have unparallelled scenic/natural beauty with stunning architecture that nothing in the U.S. can compare. But the U.S. seems to severely lack in these things. It's almost as if the layout and urban/suburban design of the U.S. is designed for a capitalist system where the primary concern is business and economics. We have tons of cookie cut-out neighborhoods from the 1950's. But other countries seem like they are more designed for beauty and leisure.

I mean, yeah, the U.S. has great scenic beauty in itself, but it seems flatter and blander compared to the rest of the world. And it seems like the U.S. has TONS of suburbia compared to other countries and heavy reliance on interstate highways and a more rural feeling in general.

Is there truth to this assertion? Hopefully someone who has traveled to other countries can confirm or deny this for me.

I absolutely encourage you to travel to and experience other countries.

But I also challenge you to see the variety of your own country. Yes, America does have a lot of the same chain stores, etc., America takes a little more effort to see, but it is there.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,194,624 times
Huh??? If you've never seen anything beyond American shores, how can you even contemplate how bland or lively this country is in comparison to other countries? I don't understand. Until you've experienced international travel, you're just a sheltered soul blowing hot air in your own face.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,301,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've never left the U.S. in my life and I'm 27 years old. Hopefully someday I can visit other countries. I just watched tons of tour videos of other countries across the world, and I beg to ask the following: Is it just me, or does the U.S. seem very bland and boring compared to numerous other countries?

Other countries, such as France, Italy, China, Egypt, etc, have unparallelled scenic/natural beauty with stunning architecture that nothing in the U.S. can compare. But the U.S. seems to severely lack in these things. It's almost as if the layout and urban/suburban design of the U.S. is designed for a capitalist system where the primary concern is business and economics. We have tons of cookie cut-out neighborhoods from the 1950's. But other countries seem like they are more designed for beauty and leisure.

I mean, yeah, the U.S. has great scenic beauty in itself, but it seems flatter and blander compared to the rest of the world. And it seems like the U.S. has TONS of suburbia compared to other countries and heavy reliance on interstate highways and a more rural feeling in general.

Is there truth to this assertion? Hopefully someone who has traveled to other countries can confirm or deny this for me.
LOL! You need to travel more: you will realize that Europe is FULL of bland cities as well as trashy ones.
And I am european
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or