U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,097,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've never left the U.S. in my life and I'm 27 years old. Hopefully someday I can visit other countries. I just watched tons of tour videos of other countries across the world, and I beg to ask the following: Is it just me, or does the U.S. seem very bland and boring compared to numerous other countries?

Other countries, such as France, Italy, China, Egypt, etc, have unparallelled scenic/natural beauty with stunning architecture that nothing in the U.S. can compare. But the U.S. seems to severely lack in these things. It's almost as if the layout and urban/suburban design of the U.S. is designed for a capitalist system where the primary concern is business and economics. We have tons of cookie cut-out neighborhoods from the 1950's. But other countries seem like they are more designed for beauty and leisure.

I mean, yeah, the U.S. has great scenic beauty in itself, but it seems flatter and blander compared to the rest of the world. And it seems like the U.S. has TONS of suburbia compared to other countries and heavy reliance on interstate highways and a more rural feeling in general.

Is there truth to this assertion? Hopefully someone who has traveled to other countries can confirm or deny this for me.
One your whole line about no scenic beauty is absolute BS. The US has very diverse geography and plenty of areas are breathtakingly beautiful. It comes down to a matter of opinion, but I know lots of non-Americans who LOVE the scenic beauty of the US.

I agree most suburbs suck architecturally. However, the US does have nice architecture. Cookie cutter suburbs, strip malls, and box retailers are not the only buildings the US has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
I seriously encourage the op to travel and come to their own conclusions. Nothing we say will convince them that the us isn't magnificent. If you want to live in Asia there are English teaching schools that hire foreigners. Check it out.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,199,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I have traveled to 24 out of 50 States, road trip style. Almost entirely east of the Mississippi river. Also been to Texas and arizona.
You need to head west and get off the interstate!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM

958 posts, read 870,298 times
No. None of that is true. The US has stunning natural beauty and more diversity of it than any other country in the world without a doubt, as well as stunning architecture in certain places.

You also won't find anywhere near the diversity in terms of people, cultures, or even just parts of the country in general in any other country. In reality, it's the US that other countries don't compare to. There's no other country like it in the world.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
Most cities in the USA are pretty bland and boring compred to other areas in the world, and our food is certainly awful compared to many countries (everything has so many preservatives in the USA and sugar and crap - I want to cry every time I leave the country and taste the amazingly fresh food elsewhere) - but the natrual beauty of the USA is anything but bland and boring.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
From the lakes of Minnesota

http://www.minnesotaslakes.com/LakeP...fthewoods1.jpg (broken link)
Lake Of The Woods - Lake of the Woods Minnesota Fishing - Fishing Lodges (http://www.minnesotaslakes.com/LakeP...ods_County.htm - broken link)

To the hills of Tennessee
Jump Into A Book: The Great Smoky Mountain Booklist

From Detroit
http://www.girlsintechdet.com/wp-con...waterfront.jpg (broken link)
Girls in Tech Detroit

Down to Houston
http://www.uth.tmc.edu/thermaltherap...nterAerial.jpg

and New York
http://www.tripsgeek.com/wp-content/...-York-City.jpg

to L.A
Strong winds mean beautiful blue skies over L.A... ~ Jason in Hollywood

Last edited by JMT; 05-31-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,097,961 times
I think we can all agree Suburbs are bland and boring, but real cities and not sunbelt sprawl ones are anything other than boring.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM

692 posts, read 786,094 times
I'm sorry, the OP just made me laugh. I could write a never ending response disproving your post, but I'll try to briefly sum it up.

I've lived in six countries on three continents and have traveled to a vast myriad of places. The U.S. is one of the most diverse (both in terms of geography and population) and exciting nations on this planet bar none.

My suggestion to the OP is to:

1) Take off your rose-tinted glasses

&

2) Go out and travel and experience things yourself, please.

Best of luck

Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM

771 posts, read 1,048,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Most cities in the USA are pretty bland and boring compred to other areas in the world, and our food is certainly awful compared to many countries (everything has so many preservatives in the USA and sugar and crap - I want to cry every time I leave the country and taste the amazingly fresh food elsewhere) - but the natrual beauty of the USA is anything but bland and boring.
I disagree. While we do have a lot of bland looking cities we also have a lot of really beautiful cities, there is nothing bland of New Orleans, DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF, Pittsburgh, and I could go on. Are American cities as beautiful architecturally as Europe? No, but very few countries can say that. Europe I believe has the most beautiful cities, but that doesn't mean ours aren't interesting or beautiful either. It's just on a different level. That's what makes this country so interesting, we have such a variety of cities.

Same goes for food. Smaller cities and towns might be lacking, but the larger cities have some of the best and most diverse food in the world.

Case in point the U.S. is very diverse and too big and people cannot make these over generalization. But if there is one thing I am certain of is that the U.S. is anything but bland or boring.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,025,848 times
It seems like people had a bit of an allergic reaction to the OP... but I read it slightly differently.

Quote:
does the U.S. seem very bland and boring compared to numerous other countries?
It very well may be... for you. Because you have lived in the US your whole life, and you've seen parts of the US, and you speak English, and so on. I get the sense that you want to see something really different - something you'd never be able to find in the US, or that is radically different from your experiences in the US.

Those are fine reasons for travel, but you should probably not worry about putting them in terms of the US. You want to see some new and interesting things. That's fine.

The US is, though, among the top few countries in terms of variety of ecosystems and topography. China wins overall due to megafeatures like the Himalaya range, but a lot of China's most spectacular/weird/bizarre landforms are fairly tough to reach, especially around the far border regions/Altai Mountains or anywhere around southern Tibet and the Burmese border (the traditional supposed location of the land of Shangri-la was somewhere in the Yunnan-Tibet-Burma border region where the mountains descend to the rainforest...)

I'd encourage you to just plunge right into it. Save up some money; buy a plane ticket to a major city in another part of the world like Hong Kong, and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or