U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM

419 posts, read 682,182 times

Advertisements

The advent of "blanket media" no longer allows parents to perceive the world as safe as it once was. And rightly so, parents react by applying varying degrees of common sense barriers to insure their children don't become another of the never ending victims part of the slaughter.

Also, if you want to see kids playing, go to a gated community, the far out suburbs, or a small town. There is no room for traditional playing ( let the kids run around the city old school style I mean) anymore. KEEP YOUR KIDS SAFE!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
Ditto the kidnapping thing... there are sickos out there. Not that there weren't before... but Internet perversions has now brought out BAD things in people I suspect.

BUT I think the main thing is that there is ALWAYS something on TV everyone has cable now. In the summer when I was growing up, there were the soaps and the cubs on during summer afternoons. And your house did not have AC so you did not want to sweat in that hot house. We had a public pool pass and used the bejeesus out of that thing.

That said my kids do play a lot outside as we have a pretty sweet park district and we pay for it with our taxes and I am getting our moneys worth No $5,000 playsets for my kids!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Kids very often have nothing but structured time so they can't play like kids in the past played. Parents want them to be geniuses, they fill their time with lessons and organized sports. Yards in many cities are all fenced now, you don't send a kid out to the back yard to play where they'll wander around finding other kids and all that went with doing that.

And of course video games and iPads take up all their time. They find more structured games to play there. No more fort building, tree houses and games kids thought up for themselves. A lot of the old play like tree houses and forts would be viewed as bullying today -- it was common to have signs like "no girls allowed" and forts often involved some kind of play war with kids being on different sides. Games like King of the Mountain would definitely today be viewed as bullying. Even chasing down a kid and making him be It would be viewed as bullying.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,703,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Mostly because parents are afraid their children might get kidnapped.
A sad but true fear. As a teenager I used to take long walks alone and was never afraid. My daughter would go places with a friend or two. My
grandchildren are driven to and from school.

New technology has made more kids want to stay inside as well.

Seeing an ad on TV for kids to "go out and play an hour a day" sounded funny to one as old as I am. We never had to be told to play..

Different times...

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM

61 posts, read 168,489 times
I honestly think the internet and media have a lot to do with it. People talk about how safe it was when they were growing up, but I think it's just that nowadays we are inundated with information about the big scary world out there and it causes a lot of paranoia. Hell, I'm scared to drink water without a filter though my grandparents did it their whole life and are in their 90's now, let alone leave my kids unattended in the yard. I think I may be one of the few parents left that I know of who doesn't carry a gargantuan bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse and I feel like a bad parent for not having one lol! I remember going everywhere by myself as a kid too, on my bike or skates, playing kickball or jump rope. I knew it was time to come in when the street lights came on. Electronics play a part sure, but parents can regulate that.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,207,972 times
My kids play in the street, and I am out there to supervise them. I limit the amount of TV and DS. I really hate the DS, but Hubby likes it. I encourage reading, playing outside! We put up a badmitton net and play endless hours along with golf toss and other outdoor games. It is all how a parent raises a child. Safety is a big issue, but you can bet if they are out there, I am too.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,382,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Why don't kids play anymore? Drive through many neighborhoods even on the weekends and it's not uncommon to see few if any kids playing outside. 30 years ago the streets were filled with bicycles, kids were climbing trees, building forts, playing wiffle ball, Frisbee, touch football, street hockey in the streets.

I'm a teacher and have shared some of these stories with my students. They look at me oddly when I talk about kids climbing trees. Some ask why?
I honestly never did much of this as a kid.... I grew up in Amsterdam, The Netherlands btw during the 80's before video games and the internet. Yes, the 1980's.

I preferred playing indoors with dolls and watching tv and reading by myself. I was a loner.

I was afraid of heights and still am; climbing trees had no appeal then nor did it then. Climbing trees is scary. I never played sports unless forced to at school for PE. Once in a while I played outside but mostly it was by myself. Never was invited to play hockey etc. No one played hockey in the street or sports in the streets at all. I played badminton when I did have a friend which was rare. Never built a fort; probably wouldn't know how to build one now nor would I have an interest. Never heard of whiffle ball or whatever that it is; I don't even know what that is.

At 6-7 years old I seriously spent a lot of time reading and writing already. I was taught to write extra early and way ahead of school once I started. Playing for me was reading and practicing writing and drawing. Was never an outdoors person and still don't like the outdoors to this day...

I don't think it was a safety issue; I know kids played outside, I saw them. I was just never invited and did my own thing. I have no idea what the other kids were playing since they weren't my friend.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,542,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Anyone remember drinking from the garden hose? This is a great song - if you are over 30 - this song should make you nostalgic.

Bucky Covington - A Different World - YouTube
Remember?! Hell, I still do it now!

Great song BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yes it has. Kids can't even read books anymore because of things like the Kindle.
The Kindle is an electronic viewer of book texts. The Kindle encourages book reading as it allows easy and immediate download of book texts.
Yes, but it's not a book. You can read on it, but it's just not the same thing at all. It doesn't have the feel, the weight, the smell, the texture, nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
My children still do that...
Especially in the summer.. they stay outdoors most everyday weather permitting.
Same here. As long as she's home when we need her home (dinner, lunch, etc...), it's no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think I was in the last Generation to get kicked out of the house at 10 am on a Saturday and told not to return until 6 pm.

This happened in the 80s...we were called Latch Key kids.

Yup. I used to get home from school a bit after 3pm, and Mom wouldn't be home till a bit after 5pm, and Dad a bit after 7pm. I had to call my Dad daily right as soon as I got home, make sure my homework was done; then I could go play. I had to be home right around the time Mom got home, check in for a bit, then I could go play till Dad got home. It wasn't a big deal.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM

37,071 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
I keep reading about over protective parents. Can someone define what that means?
The parents that try and shelter their children from every little possibility of being hurt. If you give a child a hammer and let them pound nails they are going to smash their thumb with it, it's inevitable. Some parents won't let their kids do stuff like that, IMO this is an important life lesson. The child is not only learning a skill but more importantly they are learning they can easily hurt themselves, they learn their limitations. Children that don't learn these lessons early will either end up afraid to push themselves or end up really hurting themselves badly down the road.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Yes, but it's not a book. You can read on it, but it's just not the same thing at all. It doesn't have the feel, the weight, the smell, the texture, nothing.
It doesn't matter to me. I buy a book to read it, not to smell or touch the paper. I buy a book to access the information for learning, entertainment, enlightenment. I am buying the text, ideas, thoughts (if I want to smell, touch paper, I could just use a blank journal). The Kindle (or any e-reader) encourages reading and makes it very accessible. It provides more opportunities for reading. My house is filled with thousands of books. I have 3 book shelves of musty, rare, first editions I've collected (so I can smell them whenever I want). My kids rooms are filled with hundreds of books. I even worked for a textbook publisher and have a minor in English lit. But I still LOVE my Kindle. I prefer it to real books because of the ACCESS it gives me and the fact it allows me to carry my library with me and add to it whenever/wherever I want.

Yesterday, we were sitting in a Miami airport with our Kindles. I ordered 3 digital magazines and the Chicago Tribune for the flight home. My son ordered the next book in the series he was reading. My hubby played the NY Times crossword on Kindle. I was not near a library, nor near a Chicago newsstand, nor did I want to carry the weight of extra books, mags on the plane. Yet we still had access to millions of books, mags, newspapers from around the world.

If I had not had my Kindle, I would have been limited. I probably would have been forced to read the boring in-flight magazine over and over again - torture. Instead, I had immediate, electronic access to better material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or