U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,405,909 times
Directed towards the Op..I get what you are stating.
While posters stated that abductions, sexual predators, reckless drivers and so forth have hindered some parents from allowing their children to play outside as well as gaming systems.

Based on personal experience, my mother was very over protective, she would not allow me to spend the night or go to a friends home unless she knew the parents, she never let me spend the night anywhere until I was 17.

As far as playing outside? I could as long as it was in my front yard or the back and I was not allowed to go to a nearby park until I was12, matter of fact my momma came to meet us everyday after school with our dog until I was 12, lol. However ALL the neighborhood kids came over to my house, my mom made it so all the kids would want to come over instead of us leaving, our house was child central.
I had an atari system but our time was limited and even me reading was limited by mom, she would tell me to go outside.

Now as a mother myself? I am a little more lenient with my own son but not much. Since my son was a baby/toddler/young child I have always encouraged outside play whether it was chalk play, painting, water play ect with my son when he was a baby, he had a jungle gym/swing set in my backyard so he spent countless hours exploring and playing.
As he got older? He was allowed to ride his bike up and down our street and play in the front yard at the neighbors as well as b-ball in our driveway with friends. He was given his first gaming system when he was 8 but by this time? He was already an outdoor kid. He would play his system if it was raining, in the am and maybe for an hour at night ( he got bored) he was never very fascinated with gaming systems and he owns a ps3, xbox 360 as well as a Wii.
My sisters kids? Her boys were given gaming systems since they were very young and never encouraged to play outdoors, My oldest nephew is now 21 and in shape but before? He was very overweight because all he wanted and was allowed to do was play sega genesis, play station, ps3, xbox 360 and then pc games ( WOW) All he did was go to school, come home, hw, eat and play on his systems.
My youngest nephew (11) is also now overweight and refuses to leave the house for outings with the family, all he loks forward to is Halo, Left for dead, Call of duty, you get the jist. I go and see my sister at least 4 times a week and every time I go? My nephew is MIA in his room, with his headset and gaming, taking breaks only to eat. He is forced to play baseball but this is not enough. Finally my brother in law is doing something about it and forces him to bike ride for 20 minutes with him, smh.
I guess my point is yes there has been a decline in outside play and there are many reasons for this however if safety is an issue?
There are ways for your children to be safe and play outdoors, the gaming systems need time limits as other healthy outdoor is incorporated in their schedules.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM

530 posts, read 652,333 times
The most annoying part about this whole "My kid is going to get abducted" if they are outside alone, or walk two blocks to school alone, is if I break the "rule" than I am a bad mom.......

I was a kid in the 90's, a teen in the early 2000's.
We ran around all over creation, and no one cared. We built forts, had secret clubhouses, jumped ramps on our bikes.
Now, if I let my ten year old so much as play ball in the street, my own mother is jumping all over my case about how I am a bad mom & she is going to get abducted....blah...blah...
Then at the same time, my family is like "oh, your daughters getting a little chubby, does she get any exercise?"
It's frustrating.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM

1,024 posts, read 597,372 times
The problem is todays culture. It is unfortunately acceptable to do nothing but play video games and watch TV. Parents need to restrict the amount of time that they use them. People wonder why society is becoming so obese..well heres one of the reasons. We have a Wii and my kids are only allowed to play it if it is raining out or if it is too cold to go outside and play. I want my children to experience being a kid just like I did and playing video games inside turns your brain into mush.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,325,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The problem is todays culture. It is unfortunately acceptable to do nothing but play video games and watch TV. Parents need to restrict the amount of time that they use them.
bingo. this is reason #1. even if video games and internet surfing had been around 40 years ago, it wouldn't have been culturally acceptable to spend hours at a time doing those activities. people would have been horrified at parents that allow their kids to be inactive that long.

it's the whole frog in the pot deal, the same reason we are ok with tighter and tighter government control, higher gas prices, etc, etc.

Quote:
People wonder why society is becoming so obese..well heres one of the reasons. We have a Wii and my kids are only allowed to play it if it is raining out or if it is too cold to go outside and play. I want my children to experience being a kid just like I did and playing video games inside turns your brain into mush.
my kids have a time limit for both tv and ipad games every day, and once they've hit their quota, no more. the days that i like the most are the ones that they decide to do something else entirely, like go hang out with dad at the park or something.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

1,048 posts, read 422,939 times
They are sitting in front of computers and game consoles or texting on their phones. The kids now days don't even know what a pick up game of baseball or basketball is. I could not tell you when I last saw a sandbox or a swing set in a back yard. I understand the world has changed in relation to playing outside. In my neighborhood you see no kids playing out side at all and I live in a neighborhood that the crime problem is very low and the schools are rated very high. (very sad). When I was a kid, my mom "kicked" me out of the house and me and my friends (12-15 kids) use to play baseball, basketball, frisbee, playing in the creek, build forts and tree houses from scrap lumber and went swimming at our local park. I tell my kids and their friends this and they look at me like I have 3 heads. I showed my kids some photo's that my mom and dad took of me and my friends playing and they look at the pictures and just shake their heads. I really think they can't comprehend that type of "FUN" and at the time carefree lifestyle.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM

6,323 posts, read 3,473,129 times
Kids still play, make no mistake about that. They just play indoors. I was shocked visiting a friend and seeing his Wii. It's completely interactive; playing volleyball is like really jumping around in the living room and playing it. I didn't realize how much video-games evolved. It's good that they encourage exercise in a way but kids are still missing out by not being outside doing real things like riding bikes, playing ball, etc.

When I was a kid I could hardly imagine being inside all day playing video games. Even in Iowa during one freezing winter, I never played video games all day. Before that we had an alley or a median to play in and we spent a lot of time outside, playing in empty trash cans, shopping carts, rollerblading, riding bikes, swimming, playing ball, etc.

Even when I was in a girly mood to play with my girl toys, you bet I did it outside.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,325,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Kids still play, make no mistake about that. They just play indoors. I was shocked visiting a friend and seeing his Wii. It's completely interactive; playing volleyball is like really jumping around in the living room and playing it. I didn't realize how much video-games evolved. It's good that they encourage exercise in a way but kids are still missing out by not being outside doing real things like riding bikes, playing ball, etc.

When I was a kid I could hardly imagine being inside all day playing video games. Even in Iowa during one freezing winter, I never played video games all day. Before that we had an alley or a median to play in and we spent a lot of time outside, playing in empty trash cans, shopping carts, rollerblading, riding bikes, swimming, playing ball, etc.

Even when I was in a girly mood to play with my girl toys, you bet I did it outside.
i agree with you wholeheartedly here.

i'm not at all saying that interactive games aren't a good step in the right direction, or that they aren't helping to get kids that would otherwise be inert tube-zombies to move around, but they are still not the same thing as actually getting outside and enjoying the real thing.

for starters, all of these interactive video games are still confined to your living room, which is not enough room to really get out and get a good workout. it is a start, and it certainly has the capacity to reach some of the kids that are already hooked to their game console by IV line. but it is still just a start.

second, most interactive computer games still just involve a few players, or just one. that means that the social interaction and training received by actually going outside to play kick the can or capture the flag is negated. even the ability to play with whole teams of friends over internet headset connections does not compare with real, face-to-face interaction anymore than facebook compares. kids need to be socially active, and video games cannot compensate for a failure in that field.

third, they are missing the world, for crying out loud. they are replacing the real world with a fantasy. they are missing the nuances of real life and social/political/economic dynamics that they will begin to learn through face-to-face play with other kids. they are missing what it is like to get out in the woods to play a real game of paintball, rather than virtual paintball. they are missing the reality of it all, for a simulation.

and lastly, the are missing being outdoors. some of my fondest childhood memories revolve around being out in the desert or up in the mountains with my friends or with the scouts, of crashing through rockpiles and thorn bushes while playing capture the flag, or boating with my family and neighbors on lake powell, or rock climbing in goblin valley. nature and the outdoors are a very important part of life, one that is already limited enough as it is in suburban and particularly urban areas, before throwing video games an tv into the mix.

i'm not advocating that we get rid of video games (especially since that won't happen). in fact, i am actually working in the video game industry in illustration, modeling, sculpting, and surfacing. i am just advocating that we realize that games, as interactive and physical as they might become, still do not replace playing outside, or even inside with other people.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

1,099 posts, read 526,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Why don't kids play anymore? Drive through many neighborhoods even on the weekends and it's not uncommon to see few if any kids playing outside. 30 years ago the streets were filled with bicycles, kids were climbing trees, building forts, playing wiffle ball, Frisbee, touch football, street hockey in the streets.

I'm a teacher and have shared some of these stories with my students. They look at me oddly when I talk about kids climbing trees. Some ask why?

Has the surreal video game environments, thrill-based amusements, etc., stolen childhood from our children or is more systemic?
Kids play. But in a different way. We live in a new world, new society. And the ways "to play" have changed.

And it IS more dangerous nowdays to let your kids roam the streets.

Kids climbing trees: like monkeys? because they had nothing better to do?

We have too many different educational activities now.

But I am sure there are still some who love outdoor activities and nothing wrong with that if that's their calling. And I am sure that they still climb trees. Especially, if that's going to be a part of their working environment in the future.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 597,372 times
Daylight, Many different educational activities now?? playing video games? watching tv? WHat educational activities do kids partake in these days to have fun. Climbing a tree like a monkey because there is noting better to do? Its called connecting with nature and enjoying what the outdoors has to offer. Its good clean fun that all children should be exposed to. I am not saying roam the streets because as you stated they are more dangerous, but being outside is a must.

You are correct in saying that there still are children that do choose to play in this manner but I disagree that they do this because its going to be part of their job. Im sure Bill Gates climbed a tree when he was a kid, or Donald Trump, etc,... im sure that 10 year old kids know what they want to be when the grow up... kids in college dont even know what they want to do. As you stated, "its a new world, new society"...this is the reason why it has changed because parents allow there children to rot away in the house. Technology is a babysitter for them. They know their kids are safe at home yet there brains are rotting away. Then those kids have kids which do the same, and so on. This is why kids dont go out and play anymore. My kids are not allowed to play inside if its nice out. Not to be rude but " And I am sure that they still climb trees. Especially, if that's going to be a part of their working environment in the future", is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. WIth the mentality you have less and less children will be exposed to the outdoors. That mentality is the reason why its "a new world, new society".

Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 AM

960 posts, read 618,908 times
Trust me when I say you DO NOT utilize the same muscle groups playing a Wii as you would outside! We have a Lazy minded generation and parents which enable such lifestyles. Surely I did not purchase a home with a huge yard so my family could text and play angry birds. It appears the quality of parenting has decreased over the years within many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates