Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times

Advertisements

It seems to me you just can't please some people, anyone experienced grief when they were just trying to be polite? I was raised to say 'mam' and at 23 I appreciate it when others call me mam, but people in their 40s and even 50s seem to take offense to it some times, like you're saying they're old or something. 'Miss' seems to go over better with them. My husband and I both say 'not a problem' or 'anytime' instead of 'your welcome' sometimes which doesn't go over well either with some people. My husband said he heard someone respond to this 'so if it was a problem you wouldn't do it?' Other times women take offense to having the door held, I appreciate this and find it goes with both sexes, it is not implying you are incapable of opening a door, it is just a nice gesture. What is the deal? What manners do you mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Never had a problem with any of that where I live. People greet each other just liike they did when I was a kid.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
It seems to me you just can't please some people, anyone experienced grief when they were just trying to be polite? I was raised to say 'mam' and at 23 I appreciate it when others call me mam, but people in their 40s and even 50s seem to take offense to it some times, like you're saying they're old or something. 'Miss' seems to go over better with them. My husband and I both say 'not a problem' or 'anytime' instead of 'your welcome' sometimes which doesn't go over well either with some people. My husband said he heard someone respond to this 'so if it was a problem you wouldn't do it?' Other times women take offense to having the door held, I appreciate this and find it goes with both sexes, it is not implying you are incapable of opening a door, it is just a nice gesture. What is the deal? What manners do you mind?
I never had any problem with anyone who had manners and am not offended by any shown.

I don't know if this qualifies but I moved from Key West to Chicago (don't live there now) and I found that it was often like speaking an entirely different language to people. I found that many people were quite brusque. I would often think that they were being quite rude when they thought that they were being polite.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
I remember I had a sexual harrasment course at a plant I used to work at. They told us not to open doors for women, because it was demeaning, and pointed out that they were women.

I feel this kind of attitude is totally ridculous.

The ma'am thing I've seen before to. Some women just don't want to be called ma'am, I'm guessing because it makes them feel old. However, I call most women ma'am, I've even caught myself calling my neices ma'am on occasion.

To much political correctness in the world for me right now.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Well that's good. Yea it is strange how somethings are a compliment and meant to be nice in some places but seen as rude in others. I remember a Hispanic lady telling me how strange it was that women in America take such offense when Hispanic men say something to them, like 'oohhh hola senorita!' and whistle or something when in Mexico, women smile to this, and here, typically we get angry (I admit I think it is inappropriate). Last time I was on the highway a Hispanic guy started blowing kisses to me through the window so I blew them back for sh*#s and giggles, lol. My sister said I shouldn't be encouraging cr*p like that though. I guess she has a point.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM

I knew I wasn't the only one that noticed this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I remember I had a sexual harrasment course at a plant I used to work at. They told us not to open doors for women, because it was demeaning, and pointed out that they were women.

I feel this kind of attitude is totally ridculous.

The ma'am thing I've seen before to. Some women just don't want to be called ma'am, I'm guessing because it makes them feel old. However, I call most women ma'am, I've even caught myself calling my neices ma'am on occasion.

To much political correctness in the world for me right now.

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
I'll hold the door open for men or women. Makes no difference to me. It just seems like the courteous thing to do.

That said, some people just want to have something to be mad about. And they'll always find it.

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I think anybody who would be offended by a kindly meant gesture needs to lighten up.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 AM

yea me too, I do it for men and I'm a woman

Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They told us not to open doors for women, because it was demeaning
I think you should hold doors for anyone because it's polite. I do it for both men and women. Some people are going to take offense at anything, but that's not a good reason to stop being kind and respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates