U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:28 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,463,976 times

Advertisements

I actually think it's always been pretty bad, but the unfortunate thing is it hasn't really got much better over time.

Sure racism is taboo now, but there's still tons of people who are racists but wouldn't admit it out of embarrassment. Plus, a lot of people who aren't racist just pick on people for other reason, like because they are ginger or emo or whatever.

Sure we don't lynch people, but we do sentence people to death still. And the attitude is just as jubilant as it was 100 years ago.

I think it's not so much the world is going to hell, but rather people can't seem to work together and make it more like heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:31 PM

11,232 posts, read 12,518,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Those comments sound envies.

Accomplishments are documented in History books. That's not enough, elders must jump to the forefront and lead the youth. Senseless critiquing stymies growth.

Physicality was addressed a few times in the prior communication which does lead one to consider that there is much envy. I think this generation is doing fine but they need their elder statesmen, like you, to guide them versus looking at them with animosity.
You don't have the slightest idea what I have or have not done in relation to generations younger than mine.

As for envy, only their energy. You need to take a look around, read up and listen to older people. Despite the bizarre emphasis on remaining young that has become a fixture of American culturee, a large number of older people don't envy younger people except in that one respect.

Perhaps among older people who are not satisfied with themselves and the lives they have led there may be envy - that would make sense. However, I am not in that boat, and in all honesty none of my age peers that I am closely acquainted have ever expressed envy of young people because they are at peace with the ups and downs of their lives, and have learned over the years what they feel enriches them most.

If you can live thoughtfully, and have some luck, life becomes fuller and richer with the years. Youth, on the contrary, is an empty bucket only to be filled over time.

"They [older people] had their time to shine and now its time for our kids to have the limelight." This strikes me as something only a younger person would say. It seems to suggest that life is a stage show, and when your "star turn" is finished you are dead meat. It is a concept of life and ageing that has the depth of a mud puddle.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:24 PM

908 posts, read 840,712 times
It started in 1776 with our inception. The only reason we perceive a cultural demise is because of transparency.

We held slaves, destroyed Native Americans, imprisoned Japanese citizens with no trial and put them in camps, pillaged and raped the land, built a country on the back of working poor...c'mon. This whole "our country was sooooo much better in the past" nonsense is a pile of bull.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM

460 posts, read 500,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
No offence, but I don't know of another country or culture on earth that is as overwhelmingly materialistic, consumerist and individualistic as the US
You must not have spent much time in Europe, or, conversely, not much time in the U.S.

BTW, "individualistic" is a compliment as far as I'm concerned. In all the time I've spent in the two continents, the one difference I've noticed besides language is that Americans value the individual far more than Europeans do.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 PM

157 posts, read 158,830 times
In Europe, individualism is possibly deemed as dangerous moreso than in America, and for obvious historical reasons. America has had no Goethe or Napoleon or Hitler or Stalin. People in America who are like that, at least in spirit, are either mega-rich and pull their trips through puppets or are delegated as nutjobs who are popularly marginalized to keep their followers' reactiveness sated. If anything, Americans in general believe they are individual but in reality only follow trends and fashion. Someone can buy a pair of Nikes because they relate to a successful basketball star so as to bask in the reflected glory that maybe they too are that good at those endeavours, but the truth of the consumer's abilities has little to do with the purchase and all about the baseless fantasies centered on making the purchase and its societal reflection upon the purchaser.

Culture and materialism date heavily in America and they have been seen about town for quite awhile now. Materialism gives you a Donald Trump or any of the current in-vogue look-so-much-alike celebrities. Culture without the sole emphasis of expanding markets begets a DaVinci or a Picasso or a Fellini.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM

14,194 posts, read 14,373,026 times
This country has become just too dysfuntional. The 2 ruling parties are 180 degrees apart on so many pressing issues.

I cannot envison a scenario where the two sides will come together and truly work out the long term problems facing this country.

Decline is on the schedule for America's long term future.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM

766 posts, read 1,079,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The problem is that the older generations always look at the present generation with animosity because they are jealous. They had their time to shine and now its time for our kids to have the limelight.

I remember when my grandma's, aunts and mother had a hissy fit about teen girls wanting to get their ears pierced. "Why would any sane person add 2 more holes in their head?"

Fast forward to today.... guys and gals are getting their private parts pierced.

I'm pretty sure my generation isn't jealous about this.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 PM

7,497 posts, read 8,970,718 times
It certainly didn't help when Bill Clinton decided to start outsourcing jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
It started in 1776 with our inception. The only reason we perceive a cultural demise is because of transparency.

We held slaves, destroyed Native Americans, imprisoned Japanese citizens with no trial and put them in camps, pillaged and raped the land, built a country on the back of working poor...c'mon. This whole "our country was sooooo much better in the past" nonsense is a pile of bull.
Agreed. This country was built on the backs of working poor and what has happened? To continue, it needs more working poor. The only problem is that the poor have gotten more poor, the rich have gotten richer and both sides arguably have gotten extremely entitled. It's almost like electronics and gadgets are being used for that reason; to create a smokescreen between people and what's really going on in this world. Of course I could just be paranoid. (Goes back to playing with electronic gadget).

Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,397,824 times
Please adhere to the Great Debates guidelines when posting in this thread.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 PM

3,019 posts, read 3,025,121 times
It did not start on an exact date, but was rather the result of a process that occured over a period of time and the contributing factors to it as a whole were:

Reaching a point in time where it was not possible for a husband and father (without a formal college education) to work a job that could support his family (including children) at a middle class level.

An increase in IRS regulations and the accompanying taxes that they existed for that made it possible for those in the top 5-10% to increase their wealth exponentially and with lower tax rates as compared to what was left of the middle class supporting a larger percentage of the nation's total tax burden. The socio-economic stratification that resulted was and is an inevitable consequence of what began prior.

The institution of marriage overall not having any substance or significance in American life. Combined with the state although maintaining the power to legitimize marriage and issue licenses, abstaining from exercising that power to prohibit infidelity (when two parties are married) or at the very least enforce some kind of law that would make it not an option until both parties were divorced.

Systemic political corruption by both the democans and republicrats, oh I mean the democrats and repubicans which are just two wings on the same bird, which is a vulture and that has been destroying this country from within for decades now.

Indirectly allowing, by not enforcing immigration laws, the entry of millions of illegal immigrants (illegal as in unlawful) that have through staying here put incredible pressure on social services that some Americans need, taking jobs away from Americans, and disorting the entire socio-economic spectrum of what life in America once was. It was a nation built on immigrants since the early 1700s, but a different type and I am not referring to the color of their skin but rather a type that did not expect handouts and were willing to build this country up from where it was and sacrifice so their next generation could have a better life, not so that they could just come here and begin living the parasitical dream that they believe it is.

Globalization and US companies selling out and betraying the country that enabled them to become as large and as profitable as they are and then over a period of time, ignoring that fact and using the world as their psuedo-capitalistic playground to increase their profits although the end result is and will be an America that is far different from what it was prior to the 90s. Free trade agreements that are nothing more than a race to the bottom and a game played by CEO economic elites that
will spell certain death for the great nation the US once was.

US intervention and the financial cost of it in any and every part of the world - not to defend America against any imminent threat but as a show of power and a way to manipulate global economic situations in the nation's favor. All while building up a huge military-industrial machine that the few rich and politicians that are a part of it can become rich from and sending the nation's poor off to die. And for what. So the US flag can fly in one more country where the people do not want us there. And, no - none of the terrorists from 9/11 were from Iraq.

Psychologically. The rise of narcissism among the American culture has also aided in destroying what was once a great nation and the examples of it in every aspect of American life are now more than obvious including entertainment, business, politics and family life. A certain lack of empathy and selfishness has invaded the minds and lives of everyone and it is most definetely a cancer that if allowed to grow will do more harm than any virus or war.

And I could keep going, but I need to slam a few shots of Jagermeister, turn up some Iron Maiden and get ready to jump out of planes tomorrow.

The end is near and the threat is real. When it is all over, and everyone is wondering why their cell phones and Ipods won't charge when they plug them into an outlet, and the only thing to eat is whatever canned food was stored, combined with no more internet or running water - this nation as a people will hopefully wake up. And when that time comes, a single bullet will be worth more than $1,000 in fiat, worthless paper money with the words 'Federal Reserve Note" on them that were inflated and devalued to a point where they were worth less than the paper they were printed on.

The storm is coming and it is not going to be fun

Sky-O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or